IGNORED

What videogame was so awful that you stopped playing almost immediately?

Frozone212

Ironic Punishment  

10 members have voted

1. 1. You are locked in a room, which game do you pick?

• Awesome Possum (Sega genesis)
    • Lord of the rings Fellowship of the ring (GBA)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I don't mean awful as in LJN quality either. I'm talking bad music, bad controls, crappy story etc. When i mention Awful, think Sachen or Chinese bootlegs.

System doesn't matter, be descriptive in your posts.

Mine was way back when, Still had hope then. Then for my birthday I was given Salt Lake 2002. The game was horrible. Keep in mind that Madden was out and so was COD2. To say i was shocked was an understatement. I hated it. I hated the controls, I hated the gameplay, It made me want to go play Jaws for NES instead (I Didn't get my own PC until 2006 or so, I Didn't even know other games for the NES even existed at the time or the names)

Anybody else have any horror stories?

One of the Assassin's Creed games. Found the first hour unbearably tedious, ditched it, and never touched the series again.

Horizon Zero Dawn. As above. Not saying it's a bad game as such, but certainly not for me.

One of my kids is trying to play Sonic Unleashed and I'm having to assist. It's like being tortured, it's by far one of the worst games I've ever played and it's painful to take the pad :-)

• Haha 1

No Man Sky, bought it at launch, played it for a few hours to realize how fixed the procedural adventure was.. didn't help I started on some acid rain planet that tried to kill me instantly showing nothing like what we saw in the trailers, had to restart the game to start on a less hazardous planet.

Once I figured out how random everything was created (the creatures I encountered looked like total abominations), no way to go back to places that looked at least decent and worst of all, no multiplayer I decided it wasn't worth my time .. I remember playing shortly with a friend in sync using a headset to share our initial amazement, but it grew old really fast.

I understand that after a few years of updates the game is actually interesting to play, but I still haven't touched it since the first two weeks after launch.

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

No Man Sky, bought it at launch, played it for a few hours to realize how fixed the procedural adventure was.. didn't help I started on some acid rain planet that tried to kill me instantly showing nothing like what we saw in the trailers, had to restart the game to start on a less hazardous planet.

Once I figured out how random everything was created (the creatures I encountered looked like total abominations), no way to go back to places that looked at least decent and worst of all, no multiplayer I decided it wasn't worth my time .. I remember playing shortly with a friend in sync using a headset to share our initial amazement, but it grew old really fast.

I understand that after a few years of updates the game is actually interesting to play, but I still haven't touched it since the first two weeks after launch.

Ooh, yes! I bought a copy off of someone here after reading all of the horrible reviews, but found it to be the gaming equivalent of Ambien and nodded off after ten minutes or so. Haven't played it since.

And shoot me, but I played about half an hour of The Witcher and it started to bore me. It's in the back of some cabinet now, collecting dust.

An oldie, but still a stinker: Lynx Hyperdrome combines the most unpleasant gaming environment imaginable with horrible, discordant music. It keeps competing for the title of worst game on the system, and it's going to win one of these days.

• Haha 2

I was overcome with revulsion when I first popped SCI: Special Criminal Investigations (aka Chase HQ 2) into my Turbografx. I didn’t play it since. I was collecting the games I plan to trade away and decided to play them to make sure I didn’t want them, and wouldn’t you know it, I had a lot of fun with it. I think the first time I was playing a lot of really impressive Super Scaler games and it paled in comparison. But it is impressive for the hardware.

Deep Blue on the PC Engine.

I did get GBA Fellowship of the Ring for Christmas, though. That was an interesting game to play through, and yes, I did finish it eventually, even though I had to restart the entire game from the beginning several times because I got stuck in Rivendell multiple times due to items not appearing and I had the initial version of the game with the legendary Moria glitch. Not sure how that game shipped in the state it was in unless either QA played the first 5 minutes of the game and said "yeah, it mostly works" and called it good or they rushed the alpha version of the game to market or something. I've heard the later revision is a little better, but the game is so terrible that I don't really want to play both revisions once each just to see the differences. GBA Fellowship of the Ring is a pile of trash and everyone should play it to see how bad it truly is.

• Like 1

Robobolt C64 (it came with the second hand C64 we bought) which recieved 3% in Zzap64 ?

Xenocracy PS1... that terrible realization i had been conned by the marketing and should of waited for the reviews. 

Tomb Raider PS1... the controls simply killed it there and then for me. 

Jaws PS2.. can't be doing with that camera system, just can't. 

18 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

An oldie, but still a stinker: Lynx Hyperdrome combines the most unpleasant gaming environment imaginable with horrible, discordant music. It keeps competing for the title of worst game on the system, and it's going to win one of these days.

Wow yeah forgot about this game, watching some gameplay already triggers motion sickness for me ?

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2021 at 5:27 AM, Ninjabba said:

As soon as I found a nice planet, I didn't want to leave, because I knew I wouldn't be able to find it again.   So that's when I stopped playing until the first update rolled in.   I was then able to build a base there and return to it at any time.

The game really has come a long way since then!

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 2:59 AM, Parker77 said:

One of the Assassin's Creed games. Found the first hour unbearably tedious, ditched it, and never touched the series again.

Horizon Zero Dawn. As above. Not saying it's a bad game as such, but certainly not for me.

One of my kids is trying to play Sonic Unleashed and I'm having to assist. It's like being tortured, it's by far one of the worst games I've ever played and it's painful to take the pad ?

The moving through a crowd stuff, having to go back and forth across town... really tedious stuff that ruins what is otherwise a pretty good game

Sega Dreamcast Soul Fighter. What initially appeared to be a 3D Golden Axe turned out to have a terrible camera, too zoomed in so you cant see around you, and the gameplay was difficult, frustrating, and not fun. Played it for less than an hour and never returned. 

Oh my, which 32X experience should I also mention? I suppose Cosmic Carnage was the most awful, closely followed by the dirt bike game. 

• Like 1

In my case it was Hard Drivin' for the Amstrad CPC.

You probably know that the 8 bit computer versions of the game are not good. And when you look at the ZX Spectrum version, in black and white and with a much lower framerate, you'd think that you can't get worse than that, right? Right?

Wrong. The Commodore 64 and Amstrad CPC versions are even worse than that. The C64 version is extremely weird, the 3D graphics feel deformed. And the Amstrad CPC is a direct port of the ZX Spectrum one... which means is even slower, making it practically unplayable.

I wish all these versions would be more similar to Race Drivin for the Game Boy.

Hard Drivin' was included in the T.N.T compilation with Xybots, Toobin, Dragon Spirit and APB (notice how the fu***rs used arcade screenshots in the back of the box). None of those arcade ports was particularly good, but at least Xybots was a decent game (with Spectrum graphics, another speccy port) and APB and Dragon Spirit used the 16 color low res mode of the CPC. This pack was the last game I ever loaded in my machine before it (the disk drive, actually) stopped working (forever, and my dad sold it). It's really interesting, because a few years ago I downloaded the exact version of the compilation and had the same loading problems in an emulator that I had as a kid... One of the games never stopped loading for some reason (I think it was Hard' Drivin!). The Amstrad CPC disk version of the TNT compilation broke my disk drive! Damn. Thanks, Tengen/Domark.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

In my case it was Hard Drivin' for the Amstrad CPC.

You probably know that the 8 bit computer versions of the game are not good. And when you look at the ZX Spectrum version, in black and white and with a much lower framerate, you'd think that you can't get worse than that, right? Right?

Wrong. The Commodore 64 and Amstrad CPC versions are even worse than that. The C64 version is extremely weird, the 3D graphics feel deformed. And the Amstrad CPC is a direct port of the ZX Spectrum one... which means is even slower, making it practically unplayable.

I wish all these versions would be more similar to Race Drivin for the Game Boy.

Hard Drivin' was included in the T.N.T compilation with Xybots, Toobin, Dragon Spirit and APB (notice how the fu***rs used arcade screenshots in the back of the box). None of those arcade ports was particularly good, but at least Xybots was a decent game (with Spectrum graphics, another speccy port) and APB and Dragon Spirit used the 16 color low res mode of the CPC. This pack was the last game I ever loaded in my machine before it (the disk drive, actually) stopped working (forever, and my dad sold it). It's really interesting, because a few years ago I downloaded the exact version of the compilation and had the same loading problems in an emulator that I had as a kid... One of the games never stopped loading for some reason (I think it was Hard' Drivin!). The Amstrad CPC disk version of the TNT compilation broke my disk drive! Damn. Thanks, Tengen/Domark.

you know your game is bad when your disk drive commits suicide lol?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JamesD said:

The moving through a crowd stuff, having to go back and forth across town... really tedious stuff that ruins what is otherwise a pretty good game

Even without that..... the Werewolf/hog bits are beyond tedious. Button-mashing followed by a boss that usually needs a QTE to finish off? No.

The platform bits... it's like Seag have watched Nintendo make good Mario 3D games for over 20 years, and still ignored every single lesson they could have learned.