IGNORED

What videogame was so awful that you stopped playing almost immediately?

Frozone212

Ironic Punishment  

10 members have voted

1. 1. You are locked in a room, which game do you pick?

• Awesome Possum (Sega genesis)
    • Lord of the rings Fellowship of the ring (GBA)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, JamesD said:

I bought a sonic game because so many people are fans.  Played about 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, there are only about a dozen Sonic games that are actually good, one of which is the best platformer ever made aside from maybe Super Metroid, and half of those released before 1997, so I'm guessing you played one of the bad ones.

• Like 2

Can't really think of anything I quit playing "almost immediately."   I'm sure there's something, though, but I usually try to give things a proper chance, even playing stuff I don't like for a bit to see if it clicks.

This might kind of fit -- when Destiny game out, or was about to be launched, a friend code codes for us to "free play" for a day or 2 to see if we wanted to buy it.  He loved it, but I was miserable.  To me, all we did was go from point to point on a crappy-controlled bike of some sort, then watch while some other doods ran in, killed our targets in one shot, and he's like "oh... we just wait here until this instance respawns" or something like that.  He said it was pretty common in MMOs.   I dunno... memories are fuzzy, but I remember thinking "can't wait until this crap is over and I never have to play it again."

• Like 1

A few weeks ago, I downloaded this Android game; I have already forgotten the name. It was supposed to be an RPG, but there was so very little player interaction that it barely qualified as a "game".  I made it through the first level, on the expectation that things would get better -- it did not, so I uninstalled it. This whole process took about an hour. 

I have had a few games where I got frustrated and quit very early on (including at least two where I did not even finish the tutorial level), but the game was not inherently bad, just not a style/genre/mechanic that appealed to me.   

5 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

just thought of another one too..

Ecco the Dolphin for sega genesis.  I spent my all my birthday money as a kid on that dud. I can't tell you how unbelievable angry I was.  I think it was that moment that i learned that the world is out to rip you off.

Just wait till the later levels. Or just watch the gameplay on youtube. Had to do that for the Addams Family NES, game F**ked me up as a kid.

Seriously, how hard is it to make a mario clone that can match the original? Why am i taking damage from unavoidable objects? Why am i passing through solid objects. It amazes me that Ocean software made so many bad NES ports. Was it the same overseas?

8 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

just thought of another one too..

Ecco the Dolphin for sega genesis.  I spent my all my birthday money as a kid on that dud. I can't tell you how unbelievable angry I was.  I think it was that moment that i learned that the world is out to rip you off.

Why? 

I was in my 20s when I got it, I was very impressed by the game and played it through. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 7:21 AM, IntelliMission said:

I think people are mistaking "so awful that I had to stop playing" with "I'm not fan of the genre/control system/approach and I stopped playing".

W O R D !

Edited by GoldLeader
Although, Maybe (just maybe) there is an exception in the words "control system" up above though, because there are instances where crummy controls can RUIN an otherwise good game...(Is this comment a harbinger of things to be written below? Hmmmm.
  • Like 2

Ecco?  Some of you are mentioning games I really like LOL...

OK,  Here's one for me.  I didn't even hang with this one for 3 minutes before I got Very Angry.  (And to quote a Bruce by the name of Banner,  Ya wouldn't like me when I'm Angry)   I had even taken days off from work to celebrate the release of this game!

Let me preface this by saying the graphics for this game are Incredible,...The music Top Notch.  The gameplay probably Fantastic.    (Anybody see what's gonna be the missing element? haha...) 

Twisted Metal on PS3 is Completely Unplayable to me because they Fucked up the Controls!!!!!!!   I use the D-PAD to control the car.  Period.  In EVERY OTHER Twisted Metal Game that Exists,   I use the D-PAD!   And, using the D-Pad I'm very good at Twisted Metal games... For some reason this version released with them expecting me to adapt to that little stupidass analog stick thingy and that is Never happening.  Then,  insult to injury they mapped the special moves to the D-Pad like an afterthought,  so of course there's NO WAY to Map the controls to make the "game" playable!   I have no idea why I haven't just used the thing for target practice.  One shot and it wouldn't be around anymore to mock me ...Even though at times,  I keep buying (what I call "modern", like PS3 etc.) games in an almost drunken haze...Just searching...Feeling...   Like I'm crawling on bloodied stumps through a metaphorical mist just to see if anything is out there that is worthwhile...Nay,  many other  "modern" video games were extremely disappointing, (Usually little things that could have been easily fixed),...But,   The Release day of Twisted Metal (PS3) was unequivocally the day for me that modern video games died.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:35 PM, GoldLeader said:

Ecco?  Some of you are mentioning games I really like LOL...

OK,  Here's one for me.  I didn't even hang with this one for 3 minutes before I got Very Angry.  (And to quote a Bruce by the name of Banner,  Ya wouldn't like me when I'm Angry)   I had even taken days off from work to celebrate the release of this game!

Let me preface this by saying the graphics for this game are Incredible,...The music Top Notch.  The gameplay probably Fantastic.    (Anybody see what's gonna be the missing element? haha...) 

Twisted Metal on PS3 is Completely Unplayable to me because they Fucked up the Controls!!!!!!!   I use the D-PAD to control the car.  Period.  In EVERY OTHER Twisted Metal Game that Exists,   I use the D-PAD!   And, using the D-Pad I'm very good at Twisted Metal games... For some reason this version released with them expecting me to adapt to that little stupidass analog stick thingy and that is Never happening.  Then,  insult to injury they mapped the special moves to the D-Pad like an afterthought,  so of course there's NO WAY to Map the controls to make the "game" playable!   I have no idea why I haven't just used the thing for target practice.  One shot and it wouldn't be around anymore to mock me ...Even though at times,  I keep buying (what I call "modern", like PS3 etc.) games in an almost drunken haze...Just searching...Feeling...   Like I'm crawling on bloodied stumps through a metaphorical mist just to see if anything is out there that is worthwhile...Nay,  many other  "modern" video games were extremely disappointing, (Usually little things that could have been easily fixed),...But,   The Release day of Twisted Metal (PS3) was unequivocally the day for me that modern video games died.

You gripe reads like the Review for Alien Resurrection for PS1. I understand your pain though. I had the same criticism leveled against Rogue squadron for N64. I HATE reversed control for third person flying games, made Fest impossible

The day that modern gaming died? HA! You've clearly never tried to Play Tony Hawk 5

On 9/22/2021 at 10:35 PM, GoldLeader said:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

The day that modern gaming died? HA! You've clearly never tried to Play Tony Hawk 5

Tony Hawk 5 (2015)

Well No!  Modern video games died in 2012 so...

OK,  Maybe just maybe, I was being a little melodramatic.  Though at the time I would say Modern Video Games essentially died (to me) and (for around 3 years or so) everything they tried was something that failed or could have been fixed had it been done differently...

But I haven't given up hope Entirely.  I Did buy a Wii U and keep meaning to try it out some more.   Unfortunately it suffers from Modern Video Game syndrome too...Every game had to be tried out and DLed to the machine IIRC, and while that was a pain, some are online which really sucks...Esp. if you don't want to get into it, but maybe just want to mess with it a few minutes and then shut it down instantly because you need to do something else....But No!  The machine demands you carve out time for it...For example,  I'd like to re-learn how to play Splatoon!  Because it's been a long time and I was at the point right before you go online and play against other players,  But I don't even remember the controls!  I'm not ready to go against anyone else when I need a refresher course.  And in the old Atari days I could pop in a game and just Play (or turn it off) if that's what I wanted...And don't get me started on DLC or DRM or other weird acronyms beginning with D...

I've struggled to come up with one since this topic posted.  I usually avoid the obvious turd and it's harder to slide one by me into actually buying a hot mess, but there are a few that slip by.

With the release of Actraiser Renaissance it brought up discussions of people and one game I had blocked from my memory that was so much a slap in the face to fans of that franchise given how those bastards pitched it, coupled with all the problems it has across the board... I not only put the game down, despite missing the refund cutoff on Steam I happily asked them to remove it from my account and wrote it off -- SOL SERAPH

F that game.  The pathetic experience claims to homage ActRaiser and at a very simplistic base level it may, it has a sim and an action sequence for the areas.  That's about where it ends.  The action game has pretty bad game play elements coupled with not good controls and design choices all over it.  I'd have forgiven it to a point, had they honored the SIM side of things, and that's even worse.  You have this creeping awful tower defense game that's the center of it all, not the town development.  Sure you develop, but the game is so broken, it won't even let you go beyond a short range where defense doesn't work, but you're required to go outward.  Basically you end up wasting time and resources making things, then ruining them, so you can keep creeping your attack tower style stuff along the map.  All this while some pretty unbalanced and wholly unfun combat comes consistently your way, it's almost bad enough to just be a total failure of attrition, but skirts it.  The game is shit, point blank.  Don't buy it, don't try it, the developer should be punished for releasing it and making the claims they did.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

Hehe that's a topic on its own... for me that would have been Final Fantasy 13 on the PS3 in 2009...

Playing this game at a friend's house made me decide it's not worth getting a PS3 and waited until the PS4 came out. I skipped the entire 7th generation in console gaming based on my experience in FF13 (that series somehow has been important for me to adopt most game consoles I own). Decided it was so bad that I could go back to my backlog and enjoy many years of older games that were getting cheaper at that time anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I didn't know that was a thing.  Now I want it ☺️.  What's bad about it?

Personally, I thought the controls were awful and the game just wasn't engaging for me.  The 'reimagining' of the classic game also left a lot to be desired between controls and sound.  (my opinion)

Lode Runner Legacy does a MUCH better job of the nostalgia hit. :)

• Like 1

it might sound like a cop out but Superman 64. Titus is not at fault. Time Warner is. Ruined my birthday.

awful awful AWFUL controls. I mean Rogue squadron had crappy controls too but this was something else. Thank Christ for Goldeneye.

What else...

Hybrid Heaven. Didn't like it at all. Combat was slow and clunky and I could never tell where to go. Some might like it but i thought it was terrible.

Medal of honor Vanguard is an interesting case. on one hand, i love it for the gameplay and having being closer to the actual battles but the PS2 version can barely keep a stable framerate, looks like dog vomit and yet...I like it. So it gets spared. On the other hand, it's short and there's no online multiplayer 

And lastly, Bugs Bunny Double Trouble on Genesis. HATED IT. I loved the cartoons as a kid but that game...ugh. Lost in Time was superior in every way.

Rascal for Ps1 and the grinch stole Christmas, Lego Knights for GBA was torture.

I could go on but i don't want to fill the thread with my ramblings. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the recent Avengers game on XBox Series X (its on Gamepass) and quit after about 45 mins or so.  It was pretty, but felt about as bland and boring as any game I've ever played.

Doubt I'll come back to it and give it a chance.

Also installed Castlevania: Harmony of Despair and quit after about 10 mins.  Had no idea what the heck was happening in that game, and couldn't see anything.  I may come back to that one, though, and see if there's some camera controls or something that'll make it a bit more playable to me.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:29 PM, digdugnate said:

The Nintendo Switch port of Impossible Mission.  Ugh.  

Oh is it bad?

I remember the Vita version being falsely advertised. It's a while back, so my memory might not be perfect, but if I remember correctly there was supposed to be IM 2025 and the original version. But the original wasn't - it had the C64 visuals and sound, but the movement and control were all the new engine.

I'm presuming the Switch version is just a port job from Vita?

1 hour ago, Parker77 said:

Oh is it bad?

I remember the Vita version being falsely advertised. It's a while back, so my memory might not be perfect, but if I remember correctly there was supposed to be IM 2025 and the original version. But the original wasn't - it had the C64 visuals and sound, but the movement and control were all the new engine.

I'm presuming the Switch version is just a port job from Vita?

It is a port, I think, and was 'reimagined'.  The game for Switch also includes a 'remake' of the classic C64 title which further soured me on it because it just didn't play the same.  :(

6 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

It is a port, I think, and was 'reimagined'.  The game for Switch also includes a 'remake' of the classic C64 title which further soured me on it because it just didn't play the same.  :(

I've just had a poke around the internet, apparently the source code for IM was lost in an earthguake(?), so the 'port' is the IM 2025 engine with C64 assets slapped over the top. 

• Sad 1