IGNORED

Off Topic: Bach - Collections Volume Covers

MrFish

Bach lovers are going to enjoy the Anschuetz/Weisgerber/Anschuetz ABBUC 2021 entry called Robot Dungeon 2121.  The game music for Robot Dungeon 2121 consists entirely of Bach selections.  The in-game music is the fugue from Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor.  The cut scene music is from Minuet in G.

The Anschuetz brothers' great-great grandparents were married in the St. Thomas Kirche in Leipzig where Bach served as the church organist for many years.

Now you know the rest of the story!

Edited by rra
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, rra said:

Bach lovers are going to enjoy the Anschuetz/Weisgerber/Anschuetz ABBUC 2021 entry called Robot Dungeon 2121.  The game music for Robot Dungeon 2121 consists entirely of Bach selections.  The in-game music is the fugue from Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor.  The cut scene music is from Minuet in G.

I watched your preview video a few days ago. I heard part of Fugue in Gm there too -- when the protag was descending stairs.

Interesting Berzerk-type game. It should fair pretty well in the contest.

1 hour ago, rra said:

The Anschuetz brothers' great-great grandparents were married in the St. Thomas Kirche in Leipzig where Bach served as the church organist for many years.

My grandparents on my father's side are German. My grandfather's brother featured as a solo violinist in Carnegie Hall at the age of 8 years old. He tragically died of tuberculosis at the age of 14.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tenuous link alert: I recently discovered that part of the musical medley on the loading screen to Leaper is Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring". 

(Curiously, this melody is also used as the theme tune to MIT's lecture series on The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. I assume this was mere coincidence...or was it?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Do said:

Tenuous link alert: I recently discovered that part of the musical medley on the loading screen to Leaper is Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring". 

(Curiously, this melody is also used as the theme tune to MIT's lecture series on The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs. I assume this was mere coincidence...or was it?)

I started a thread on the subject a bunch of years back. There's a link [Edit: dead link -- maybe moved to a new location] in one of the posts to website that documents such occurrences in Atari 8-bit games.

Classical Music in Atari 8-Bit Games

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

There's a link [Edit: dead link -- maybe moved to a new location] in one of the posts to website that documents such occurrences in Atari 8-bit games.

My mistake; it looked like a dead link to me at first glance; I just needed to scroll down a little to see it's still alive -- which is great.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Do said:

Tenuous link alert: I recently discovered that part of the musical medley on the loading screen to Leaper is Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"

This is incorrect: it's playing Offenbach's Can Can Music, which is what plays as the main theme for Mr. Do. I'm surprised you didn't know this, considering your handle here is Dr. Do. ;)

Edited by MrFish

On 9/19/2021 at 9:51 PM, MrFish said:

This is incorrect: it's playing Offenbach's Can Can Music, which is what plays as the main theme for Mr. Do. I'm surprised you didn't know this, considering your handle here is Dr. Do. ;)

Oh yes I spotted that on the title screen, but I meant the loading screen that appears partway through the bootup (Or at least it does on the cassette version I had).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dr Do said:

Oh yes I spotted that on the title screen, but I meant the loading screen that appears partway through the bootup (Or at least it does on the cassette version I had).

Indeed that is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring; I had loaded a copy that didn't have a loading screen; and so I'd assumed you meant the title screen.

• Like 1