IGNORED

New Game: Betty's Issues

MrFish

For those who don't frequent the 8-bit programming forum, the following was found in the "Mad Pascal Games" thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Jaskula: @Mikeee76, of Wasteland & Angry Betty fame, has release a new game written in Mad Pascal.

It's a colorful platformer titled Betty's Issues.

betty1.thumb.jpg.8bcf9a0d4ba069fa09b161c65a7a86f2.jpg    betty2.thumb.jpg.cc247022de6bc6cf7e33b7ccf3cda08c.jpg

betty3.thumb.jpg.4bf87e959a8bbf50cddd87b644a2f892.jpg    betty4.thumb.jpg.fba21b2dcad8aafa9d6b78919f637300.jpg

betty5.thumb.jpg.786b3bb302600d6118583e3b44f201b2.jpg

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, MrFish said:

For those who don't frequent the 8-bit programming forum, the following was found in the "Mad Pascal Games" thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Jaskula: @Mikeee76, of Wasteland & Angry Betty fame, has release a new game written in Mad Pascal.

It's a colorful platformer titled Betty's Issues.

betty1.thumb.jpg.8bcf9a0d4ba069fa09b161c65a7a86f2.jpg    betty2.thumb.jpg.cc247022de6bc6cf7e33b7ccf3cda08c.jpg

betty3.thumb.jpg.4bf87e959a8bbf50cddd87b644a2f892.jpg    betty4.thumb.jpg.fba21b2dcad8aafa9d6b78919f637300.jpg

betty5.thumb.jpg.786b3bb302600d6118583e3b44f201b2.jpg

I love the colors in this game!

I have been playing this great lil game on and off. Great colours and feel. Gotta say I am finding it a challenge, especially as you only get one life and it's very easy to deplete energy. :grin: Soon as I make any real progress I find I have almost run out of energy and then die on the next screen. There you have to start all over again! All part of the challenge.;-)  (BTW I know there are bonus hearts/lives to collect).

Also got stumped and fair few times with where to go next - again all part of the gameplay. I am not 100% clear about the top left bar and what it indicates? Does collecting the little coloured balls do anything obvious as I am not noticing anything. 

Knowing me I've missed something obvious heh heh :P

With the greatest respect to Mike the production values from Angry Betty to Betty's issues is a massive jump IMHO.

Edited by Beeblebrox

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I have been playing this great lil game on and off. Great colours and feel. Gotta say I am finding it a challenge, especially as you only get one life and it's very easy to deplete energy. :grin: Soon as I make any real progress I find I have almost run out of energy and then die on the next screen. There you have to start all over again! All part of the challenge.;-)  (BTW I know there are bonus hearts/lives to collect).

The collision detection is somewhat tough on the player; but the overall difficulty of proceeding past most characters is relatively easy. I think it rewards the more slow and careful approach, as there is no timer or loss to the player for taking more time.

Also got stumped and fair few times with where to go next - again all part of the gameplay. I am not 100% clear about the top left bar and what it indicates? Does collecting the little coloured balls do anything obvious as I am not noticing anything.

I didn't have time to figure exactly what benefit there is to collecting the little circles; but I did make it to the blue dragon looking thing, and I think it may relate to the power of your shots against it; or possibly how many shots you will get. I didn't play again after that to prove it, and I wasn't thinking about it at the time I met it -- because I was too busy trying to kill it. I might play some more today and see what's going on with that aspect.

BTW, I got to the dragon thing relatively quickly, so I'm guessing there is more beyond that. Otherwise the game would be way too short.

Knowing me I've missed something obvious heh heh :P

The game was a little puzzling to me at first too; but I think that adds interest.

One thing I will say is that there are multiple ways of getting to some areas.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Betty's Issues on tonight's (Tue Oct 5, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day! Hope you can join us!

Games:

922664041_20211005-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.6fd6d7dcf08e8c16a8a9429cad4bb206.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Kinda surprised this hasn't garnered more attention - it's a fun game, and nicely put together.

I'm surprised too! It's very well done except for maybe the slight slowdown when there's two enemies on the screen and the MASSIVE hitboxes on the worms. ?  Just finished playing it on the stream and was able to beat the dragon after a few tries. It's challenging but highly recommended.

- James

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I'm surprised too! It's very well done except for maybe the slight slowdown when there's two enemies on the screen and the MASSIVE hitboxes on the worms. ?  Just finished playing it on the stream and was able to beat the dragon after a few tries. It's challenging but highly recommended.

- James

Overall, it's a neat little platformer.  Reminds me a bit of Montezuma's Revenge in some ways, but with certain aspects of the difficulty bumped up a notch or two.  Haven't had the time to sit down and really play through it in one go, but am enjoying working through it and it does a good job of drawing me back in.

4 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I'm surprised too! It's very well done except for maybe the slight slowdown when there's two enemies on the screen and the MASSIVE hitboxes on the worms.

Keep in mind that it's a PAL development. So, any performance discrepancies may be due to running on NTSC hardware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MrFish said:

Keep in mind that it's a PAL development. So, any performance discrepancies may be due to running on NTSC hardware.

You're right, the slowdown only occurs on NTSC. Just tried it in Altirra and as soon as you switch to PAL there's no slowdown. Thanks!

- James

• 1 year later...

Giving this great little game another go but still failing miserably to get to any of the little switches (anywhere), to progress. Either I am missing something or just really bad at this game. Tried multiple ways but each results in being hindered by locked doors (walls) or simply not knowing how to get to a screen. :)

Love the speed of gameplay and the colours crammed into it.