IGNORED

Intellivision GOTY 2021 (category discussion)

Rev

H.E.L.I. currently is on both lists, but I don't know if the physical version is any different from the digital version.  Same goes about Super Pro King of the Mountain. I mentioned that the digital version of Antarctic Tales is the Enhanced Edition which should be mentioned.

Fantasy (which is different from Fantasy Puzzle) currently isn't on either list, but probably should be added to both.

Good question. Are digital releases considered stop-gap measures while waiting for capacity to produce complete in box cartridges, or simply a parallel market whether or not those digital games are encrypted and tied to a particular device? Or are all (commercial) games equal, regardless how those are distributed? Do you evaluate a game only based on its gameplay and audiovisuals, or weigh in packaging and extras to determine which game is the best?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Good question. Are digital releases considered stop-gap measures while waiting for capacity to produce complete in box cartridges, or simply a parallel market whether or not those digital games are encrypted and tied to a particular device? Or are all (commercial) games equal, regardless how those are distributed? Do you evaluate a game only based on its gameplay and audiovisuals, or weigh in packaging and extras to determine which game is the best?

I think it would be hard to not let overall experience creep in.  Box, Manual, Overlays etc.

But it is Game of the year.  So, I think we could do best presentation and GOTY

Does it even need to be commercial?  If someone put a free game out.  I can think of Oscar's Halloween game as an example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

I think it would be hard to not let overall experience creep in.  Box, Manual, Overlays etc.

But it is Game of the year.  So, I think we could do best presentation and GOTY

Does it even need to be commercial?  If someone put a free game out.  I can think of Oscar's Halloween game as an example.

I think commercial games should be separated into their own categories.  Of course, a free game can be just as polished and of high quality as any commercial title, but commercial titles require a level of financial and time commitments that tend to inform the dynamics of not only the production and distribution, but also of the character of the game itself, including its themes, quality assurance, presentation polish, etc.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 9:50 AM, vprette said:

so is this the final list or something is missing?

CIB 

X-Ray

Super Pro King of the Mountain

GORF

The GOONiNUFF

Death Race

Fantasy Puzzle

Unlucky Pony’s Adventures

Ni Felter

H.E.L.I. 
Antarctic Tales

Intellivania

DIGITAL

Super Pro Backgammon

Super Pro Boxing

Bank Panic

Norseman

The Sorrow of Gadhlan' Thur

Pumpkin Mischief

The Leprechaun’s Flight

H.E.L.I.

Antarctic Tales

Jr Pac Man 

So, Little Man Computer isn't making the Digital list?  Granted, it's a Tutorvision title and isn't a game.  I just want to know if it's not being considered rather than being carelessly overlooked.

Also, X-Ray was released as X-Ray & DILLIGAS.

9 hours ago, carlsson said:

Good question. Are digital releases considered stop-gap measures while waiting for capacity to produce complete in box cartridges, or simply a parallel market whether or not those digital games are encrypted and tied to a particular device? 

I think you will see all those situations. It feels like if all those things have to be taken into account, then the classification is getting too complicated.

I can see the argument for disregarding release methods (CIB/Digital) and having a single list.

As long we don't require a game to have had a physical CIB release to be on the list, it's already a step forward in my view.

9 hours ago, carlsson said:

Or are all (commercial) games equal, regardless how those are distributed? Do you evaluate a game only based on its gameplay and audiovisuals, or weigh in packaging and extras to determine which game is the best?

The best way to resolve this is to have subcategories for voting, but I have a feeling that won't fly.

I don't fully get the rationale for not doing it, but at this point, I'm fine with whatever gets done.

55 minutes ago, Zendocon said:

So, Little Man Computer isn't making the Digital list?  Granted, it's a Tutorvision title and isn't a game.  I just want to know if it's not being considered rather than being carelessly overlooked.

Also, X-Ray was released as X-Ray & DILLIGAS.

In my view Little Man Computer does deserve a place. If there was a category for "technical achievement" or something like that, you would get my vote ?

• Like 1

my opinion is to keep only in CIB the games that are in both

actual list 

CIB 

Omega Race

Fantasy

X-Ray & DILLIGAS

GORF

The GOONiNUFF

Death Race

Fantasy Puzzle

Ni Felter

H.E.L.I. 
Antarctic Tales

Intellivania

DIGITAL

Super Pro Backgammon

Super Pro Boxing

Bank Panic

Norseman

Pumpkin Mischief

The Leprechaun’s Flight

H.E.L.I.

Antarctic Tales

Jr Pac Man 

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think the game list needs to be wrapped up first. And whether there are any categories or not.

If we were to keep it simple this year and make no distinction between CIB/Digital or Commercial/Free, I believe this would be the consolidated list.  It's in alphabetical order.

What else is missing or in need of correction?

Antarctic Tales

Antarctic Tales Enhanced Edition
Bank Panic
Death Race
Fantasy
Fantasy Puzzle
GORF
H.E.L.I.
Intellivania
Jr Pac Man
Little Man Computer
Ni Felter
Norseman
Omega Race
Pumpkin Mischief
Sasuke Vs Commander
Super Pro Backgammon
Super Pro Boxing
The GOONiNUFF
The Leprechaun’s Flight
X-Ray & DILLIGAS

• Like 1

Didn’t Junior Pacman come out a few years ago? I’m sure I bought it CIB at Prge in 2017 or so.

And Intelliventvision released some more Super Pro type upgrades in 2021 if we are counting those, there was SP Bump’n’Jump plus Tron Reloaded Mazeatron and Tron Rebooted Deadlier Disc.

17 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Antarctic Tales

Bank Panic
Death Race
Fantasy
Fantasy Puzzle
GORF
H.E.L.I.
Intellivania
Jr Pac Man
Little Man Computer
Ni Felter
Norseman
Omega Race
Pumpkin Mischief
Sasuke Vs Commander
Super Pro Backgammon
Super Pro Boxing
The GOONiNUFF
The Leprechaun’s Flight
X-Ray & DILLIGAS

Thank you for finally getting Little Man Computer on the list.  I had given up asking.

Ok, I will just keep the ball rolling until I get my hand slapped. ;-)

If we go back to Physical and Digital categories, and capture the latest inputs.

What else needs to be corrected or added?

Physical releases

Antarctic Tales

Death Race

Fantasy

Fantasy Puzzle

Frankenstein's Monster

GORF

H.E.L.I.

Intellivania

KLAX

Ni Felter

Omega Race

The GOONiNUFF

X-Ray & DILLIGAS

Digital

Bank Panic

Deadlier Disc - Tron Rebooted

Fantasy

Frankenstein's Monster

H.E.L.I.

Jr Pac Man

Little Man Computer

Maze-a-Tron - Tron Reloaded

Norseman

Pumpkin Mischief

Sasuke Vs Commander

Super Pro Backgammon

Super Pro Boxing

Super Pro Bump-N-Jump

The Leprechaun’s Flight

Edited by cmadruga
Forgot digital Fantasy. Also re-sorted Super Pro titles.