IGNORED

Nukey Shay (Kurt Howe) has died. :(

Albert

It's with great sadness that I report long-time AtariAge user Nukey Shay (Kurt Howe) has seemingly passed away.  This was brought to my attention yesterday by Ballblaɀer, who did a little digging after someone else noticed Nukey hadn't visited or posted in some time.  While we don't have definitive proof that the Kurt Howe who was killed is Nukey Shay, the preponderance of evidence is very significant.

On February 5th, 2020, Kurt Dwayne Howe was tragically hit and killed while crossing the street in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  His last login on the forum was February 8th, but his last post was January 30th.  We're guessing someone was looking through Kurt's computer after he passed, probably checking out some of the last sites he visited.  Nukey's recent posts were coming in from Minneapolis, and he posted back in 2003 that his middle name was Dwane.  Here's his obituary in the Star News, a local newspaper.  His age at the time was 54, which matches the birthdate he had in his AtariAge profile.  He would have been 55 in March of 2020. 

Nukey joined AtariAge in 2001 (the year AtariAge came into existence), and he was responsible for creating a great wealth of interesting Atari 2600 hacks.  He also helped many others with their own creations on the 2600, and he had over 20,000 posts on AtariAge over the course of 20 years.  He was even awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award in March of last year for his work involving 2600 hacks by Scott Dayton, admin of the Atari 2600 Homebrew Games Facebook group. 

Our hobby will be poorer with his absence.  :(

..Al

• Like 5
  • Sad 95

Nukey was always up for the challenge when you asked for a hack. He did Backgammon to Nackgammon for me. I just wanted a hack where the computer moved his pieces faster. I also liked how he always explained the hacks he did and how he was always there to help others doing hacks. To me, his masterpiece will be RIVER RAID III. He did amazing things with that game!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Albert said:

Nukey's recent posts were coming in from Minneapolis, and he posted back in 2003 that his middle name was Dwane. 

Actually his very last sentence in that post is "Howe Dewey, Kurt". There's no doubt that it's him :(

How sad. He's been around as long as I can remember and has always been a great guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here are links to two of his Pac-Man hacks. Both of the latest ROM's are in the first post.

Hack of Ebivision's unreleased Pac-Man game:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/55226-hackem-hangly-man-combined

Hack of Atari's Pac-Man:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/54937-8k-atari-pac-man

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I was not any kind of real programmer and lack the coding experience appreciate the nuances of his work, but I recognize the great contributions he made to the homebrew world and the AtariAge community as a whole. His untimely passing is a tragedy. My condolences to his friends and family. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My earliest AtariAge memory is Nukey Shay's avatar image and his willingness to help people with their projects. No doubt it's a great loss to the community you've created here and that reverberates out of the AtariAge forum. Very sad. Rest in peace, good soul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Big Player said:

Here are links to two of his Pac-Man hacks. Both of the latest ROM's are in the first post.

Hack of Ebivision's unreleased Pac-Man game:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/55226-hackem-hangly-man-combined

Hack of Atari's Pac-Man:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/54937-8k-atari-pac-man

My favorite "hack" of his (more like a near-complete rewrite) is "Another Adventure" - a 16K enhanced version of Adventure.

(ROM Download Link)

Edited to add that this was actually @keithbk's game, but apparently based on Nukey's hacked Adventure sources, and with his advice/assistance.

• Like 6