IGNORED

Nukey Shay (Kurt Howe) has died. :(

Albert

It's sad that he's gone, but if you have to go out that way, at least it has a video game connection.

youtu.be/EvU3LewUnZM?t=239

I'll probably go out in some boring, non-video game way and that's no fun.

Some Dead Guy: "How did you go out?"

Dead Me: "I sneezed and banged my head on the sharp corner of a shelf."

Some Dead Guy: "Damn, what a boring way to go."

Dead Me: "I'm sorry, I'll try to get hit by an asteroid or eaten by an alligator next time."

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Just hear the news, very sad. He lived within a few miles of me IIRC although we never actually met in person. One of the first things I remember when joining here was reading his custom status of "Sheik Yerbouti" and spitting out my pop from laughing so hard once I got it (hey, the internet was a simple place back then) RIP buddy...

• Like 7

This is one of those things that you read, and re-read, and still can't believe it.

Nukey was such a fixture here. Contributing to so many projects. Elevating games to new heights. Fer cryin' out loud - he actually made a version of the original Pac-Man that I liked.

That takes talent. He'll be sorely missed. My most heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Really sad to hear this news. Nukey was an AMAZING guy!

Not only did he make the incredible Hack 'Em / Hangley Man version of Pacman (which I argue is the best 2600 version that exists) but he also hacked Midnight Magic for me to use the paddle controllers like the cover art shows. He even made the alternate version of River Raid with the three bullets just cuz I had said I saw an iOS version and wondered if it was even possible on original hardware.

All of these (and many more) he did just for a giggle and a challenge and his turnaround time was hours.

AtariAge has truly lost one of the nicest and most skilled 2600 experts and I was very happy to have known him.

Edited by ComputerSpaceFan
  • Like 3

Kurt basically wrote the kernel for my game 1 vs 1 Basketball,   which was my first 2LK and opened up that world to my programming thereafter .

He also instructed me on how to do write the start vectors for bank switched games and how to make these compatible with Flashback .

He was generous enough to do much of this through personal message .        He directly touched my life for sure . 

• Like 11

Saddened to hear the news. 

I didn't have much interaction on this website early on (returned only recently after an eleven year absence) and tended to read more than post.

Nukey was one of the names I remember from those earlier, dare I say, happier times. 

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 2

Posting this before reading the whole thread.. But this is really sad news.. :(  With the passing of some greats in the Atari community the last couple years.  I really enjoyed all the hack threads where he was involved or managed to "tweak" or improve some game, fix bugs and all sorts of cool Atari 2600 goodness.  I believe he even did a few things for the Atari 8-bit series as well.  Sad news indeed.  :| 

• Like 2

This one hurts. So many of his hacks are what drew me back into 2600 gaming after a long hiatus.

He was always kind, and clearly had a real love for this hobby. He was a real asset to this community. I’m glad that his posts and roms will live on here at Atari Age. Condolences to his family and loved ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Some names, to me, defined AtariAge and what community meant. Nukey Shay was one of those. 

I think we should all be required to post to the forum a "proof of life" photo holding the day's newspaper, at least once a week.

Two years is way too long for us to have noticed this.

• Like 10