IGNORED

Nukey Shay (Kurt Howe) has died. :(

Albert

I will remember him as kind, friendly, and endlessly generous with knowledge and time. It’s a person like him that can really make a community feel welcoming, and his contributions undoubtedly helped AtariAge grow and flourish.

I have to think that any community would have been made better by his presence. We were fortunate to have him here.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Was very sad to read this. I'd actually just been thinking about Nukey Shay/Kurt, as I'd been rereading a few threads in the course of which he and I talked. As others have said, he was always friendly, generous, and of course exceedingly skillful. I hope he knew how well-respected he was around these parts.

• Like 1

I want to say this. There are people on these forums you always hope to meet one day. Nukey was at the top of this list. His hack threads were always interesting and kept you coming back for more. I really enjoyed reading them.

I'm glad to see people here are universally recognizing how generous, helpful, and friendly he was. That shined right through his spirit. I can also add that he had a great sense of humor and well, a little bit of magic. There was always something different with Nukey's hacks. You just knew it was going to be great. They captured and translated the arcade spirit so well. You knew that he must have spent a lot of time in the arcades playing these games, loving these games.

Nukey was the Hack Master. There is no other, and there never shall be again. God rest your soul Nukey. We know you are with the big Pac-Man in the sky now.

• Like 11

I was the user that had posted a SOS to Nukey not too long ago.

I'm just in shock.  I mean I just can't believe this.  I don't even know what to say.  Nukey was such an incredible person.  Always helped anyone who came here searching for help programming, myself included.  No matter what, he would find a way to assist someone.  His contributions to the community are endless.  His sense of humor... And at 54 years old.  So sad.

I'm glad someone took the time to do the research and find out what happened and that so many people are showing their appreciation of him.  Thank you AL for posting a topic letting us know. Also nice that ZPH is dedicating an episode to his work.

Rest in peace my friend.  Thank you for all of your help and contribution to the community over the years.  You are still and will always be missed.

I wish there was a way to let his family know of this post so they could read the comments and know how much their family member meant to this community.

Edited by 4ever2600
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Ballblaɀer said:

I sent a message to his nephew expressing condolences with a link to this thread. Hopefully he’ll pass it on to any other family who might be comforted to see how many people here appreciated him.

That is awesome!  I know it's been a year and a half, but still.  I think stuff like this helps when you are grieving.  

• Like 3

Top 10 Kurt Howe ROM Hacks +Bonus!

Krull
Video Type: PAL
Converted to: PAL
Date: 2005

Gas Hog
Video Type: PAL
Converted to: Supercharger
Date: 2008

Spiderdroid
Video Type: Unknown

Ocean City Defender
Video Type: PAL60
Coverted to: Supercharger

Dragonfire

Demolition Herby

Amidar

Planet Patrol

Spiderman

Berzerk
Date: 2007

BONUS!
Carnival

Amidar Double Speed

Ms. Hack
Video Type: NTSC
Converted to: Unknown
Edit of: Hack'Em
Demo Date: 2006
Date: 2010

Edited by KeatonGamer1248
  • Like 5

I'm still in shock over this!

After doing some research the other day when this news broke, I went back thru my AA PM's because I recalled sending a message to Kurt to help with a hack of my game "Mardi Gras" for the AFP. The ironic part of that........ the PM I sent him was the SAME day as his death! This is the one and only PM Kurt never viewed or responsed back to. I guess I had a feeling all along something wasn't right (similar to what @sn8k stated above).

As we never met in person, Kurt and I had several conversations thru AA PM's over the years. I'll be doing a dedication to Kurt in my next book and checklist book. A true loss to our community, you will be greatly missed Kurt, but will live on in your games.

Thanks go out to @Trebor for compiling a tribute collection of Kurt's work. This collection can be found here.

My favorite hack of Kurt's was "River Raid 3" which I covered in volume 3 pg 116 of my Homebrew Companion book. This was an extensive hack for Kurt, as many things were added and needed to be rewritten in the code for it to work.

Rest in peace Kurt

Brian

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

rr3.JPG

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

On 9/22/2021 at 11:57 AM, Ballblaɀer said:

I sent a message to his nephew expressing condolences with a link to this thread. Hopefully he’ll pass it on to any other family who might be comforted to see how many people here appreciated him.

So is it confirmed that it was him, then?

1 hour ago, Ballblaɀer said:

Sadly, yes. I was told that that the link to this thread would be passed on to the family.

I hope it can bring some smiles and happy memories to his family.  Nobody is truly dead when they are remembered and spoken about.

• Like 3

ZeroPage Homebrew is broadcasting a tribute stream to the legacy of Nukey Shay / Kurt Howe and playing some of his amazing hacks on tomorrow's (Tue Sep 28, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day. I hope you'll be able to join us in remembering Kurt and his incredible contributions to the homebrew community!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4