Jump to content
simonh

38 Years in the Making ... the Digger Dan Trilogy is now Complete!

Recommended Posts

I am pleased to announce that, after laying dormant in a scrap book for more than three decades, the original idea for my third game in the Digger Dan Trilogy -- Return of the Fungi -- has been dusted off, developed, and has now been released as an Atari 800 48K binary (.xex). You can download the game as part of a Bundle that includes all three games (Diamonds, and Dan Strikes Back being the other two), in addition to full documentation for all three games that you can load into your web browser.

 

The bundle is being hosted by RetroUnite here:  After 35 years, Return of the Fungi finally completes the Digger Dan trilogy

 

fore-rotf-sketch.thumb.png.5dc4b7da4ab9febeebd1f2991ad3cec2.png

  • Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice Simon, always liked the Dan games, so great to have a third..

 

Very Necromancer...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool news!

 

I've read

Your emulator (e.g. Altirra, Atari800WinPLus, ...) should be configured as 'Atari 800 OS-B NTSC / 48K'

 

On Altirra it seems to work with standard configurations too (XL/XE).

I think the same on real hardware, otherwise most people could not run it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Cool news!

 

I've read

Your emulator (e.g. Altirra, Atari800WinPLus, ...) should be configured as 'Atari 800 OS-B NTSC / 48K'

 

On Altirra it seems to work with standard configurations too (XL/XE).

I think the same on real hardware, otherwise most people could not run it.

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I guess the note should have been something more along the lines of...

 

"This game has been tested on Altirra configured as 'Atari 800 OS-B NTSC / 48K', but will probably run on similar configurations / emulators / original hardware."

 

The code doesn't try anything "tricky" -- just your usual Display List Interrupts and Vertical Blank Interrupts. Selecting PAL gives you a slightly different color palette, but plays just as well.

Edited by simonh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool!!

 

I haven't played a game from your series before, well, I feel ashamed... ;-)  Never too late to play them!

 

Also very nice reading the background details on RetroUnite!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simonh said:

I am pleased to announce that, after laying dormant in a scrap book for more than three decades, the original idea for my third game in the Digger Dan Trilogy -- Return of the Fungi -- has been dusted off, developed, and has now been released as an Atari 800 48K binary (.xex). You can download the game as part of a Bundle that includes all three games (Diamonds, and Dan Strikes Back being the other two), in addition to full documentation for all three games that you can load into your web browser.

 

The bundle is being hosted by RetroUnite here:  After 35 years, Return of the Fungi finally completes the Digger Dan trilogy

 

fore-rotf-sketch.thumb.png.5dc4b7da4ab9febeebd1f2991ad3cec2.png

Very cool and we very much appreciate you doing this and completing your Digger Dan trilogy.  I saw the review by Pete Davison this morning, who does really great work.  The games all seem great and I will need to play them sometime very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't get the new game to run in Altirra, get Memory Conflict under SDX even if I use 'X'

Copied onto a DOS 2.5 disk and booted from that with SDX disabled,

Altirra crashes with the new game using PAL or NTSC Atari 800 OS B, the other 2 games run fine.

 

Not tried on "real Hardware" yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

XEX runs on my PAL 800XL from AVGCart (but not from FujiNet and Side3 - but for the latter I do not have the latest firmware).

 

1254459342_Fungi1.thumb.jpg.70134b2c9107da30993626f87b418247.jpg   1872218488_Fungi2.thumb.jpg.4db840716f3c9334cf8b378c9d2b799a.jpg

 

In the manual I would suggest standard XL/XE configurations for emulators.

Altirra on first time setup lets you choose between Atari XL/XE and 5200.

To select Atari 800 you have to go in System/Configure system menu.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just gave Return of the Fungi a quick go in Altirra and it's really fun.  I love the music and sound fx, they really enhance the game.  I plan to play this one much more to see where it goes. 

 

 

Edited by erichenneke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No emulator issue here, latest Altirra beta, XL mode, real machine roms..

 

Perhaps you see re the necromancer style, obviously it's not exactly the same, made me think of the first screen with planting tree's.....In reverse :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Philsan said:

XEX runs on my PAL 800XL from AVGCart (but not from FujiNet and Side3 - but for the latter I do not have the latest firmware).

 

1254459342_Fungi1.thumb.jpg.70134b2c9107da30993626f87b418247.jpg   1872218488_Fungi2.thumb.jpg.4db840716f3c9334cf8b378c9d2b799a.jpg

 

 

I have to say, what a total thrill it is to see ROTF running on real hardware!! Thanks for posting the pics!
~Simon

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for this. 

 

Always loved Diamonds and DSB, and they were some of my father's favorite games. 

 

I'll be playing this and thinking of him later. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still can't get this to run, tried all sorts of configurations on Altirra, even copied it to the emulated

SIDE3 and ran the XEX directly from there, I just get a blue screen.

 

Copied the file to my "real" SIDE2 cart and ran it on a stock 130XE, still just a blue screen, even downloaded

a second time just in case it got corrupted, still no joy.

The other 2 games run fine regardless of any configuration, so not sure why it won't work for me. :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've tried every OS rom from rev 1 to rev 3, memory 64k, even a 400 / 800 profile and it boots fine with all of them in Altirra..

 

I set memory to random configure for booting and always turn fast boot off in acceleration..

 

Didn't try it in NTSC..

 

When I hear of this sort of thing happening *I* always go for a settings reset (obviously backup your settings by either making a copy of the Virtualdub key in the registry, or if you use ini's then back that up) Now this is what I do but it's my personal thing, it's not a recommended thing by Avery. PS Don't go near the registry unless you know what you are doing...I'm sure 99% of people will know..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

When I hear of this sort of thing happening *I* always go for a settings reset (obviously backup your settings by either making a copy of the Virtualdub key in the registry, or if you use ini's then back that up) Now this is what I do but it's my personal thing, it's not a recommended thing by Avery. PS Don't go near the registry unless you know what you are doing...I'm sure 99% of people will know..

Worked fine on Altirra when I tried it quickly earlier, and also fine+ on the MiSTer core when I gave it a longer go :)

This is such a fun game! Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mclaneinc thanks for the advice, but also bear in mind I get the same result on a "real" stock 130XE, doesn't make sense :(

 

Will try my 800 later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must try it on my real 800xl U1mb and Avg, very strange all around this one.. Works for some and not for others, a computer case for the Silent Witness team, shame Clarissa isn't in it :)

 

EDIT: Works fine on my real XL

 

Very odd..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried on my 800 with Incognito installed, same result, also if trying to run under SDX always

get the memory Conflict even with the 'X' option.

 

@Mclaneinc

Can you attach your working copy here, just in case it's something not "unzipping" correctly.

I can do a compare and see if there's corruption in mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working fine on PAL 600XL, U1MB, AVG cart and with SDrive Max.

Not working if I put the AVG into Side2 emulation and use Side loader on U1MB, or using the Side loader for AVG cart.

 

Thanks to Simon for creating the game, and Pete for resurrecting the idea Simon's head.

Edited by marauder666

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Just tried on my 800 with Incognito installed, same result, also if trying to run under SDX always

get the memory Conflict even with the 'X' option.

 

@Mclaneinc

Can you attach your working copy here, just in case it's something not "unzipping" correctly.

I can do a compare and see if there's corruption in mine.

Sorry to hear...

 

Here's my file..

 

 

ReturnOfTheFungi.xex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying a different unzip program might help, so that's true.

AVG may use another OS or soft-loaded OS as well as a loader that might be helping the real Atari's act more like an emulator in those regards increasing compatibility, I've seen that also happen when using MyBIOS/MyIDE by Mr. Atari :) ...

 

POST your settings etc. for whatever your using in emu as well as bios settings etc.

 

 

Edited by _The Doctor__

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Oh my days... surely that can be tidied up, usually a by product of the assembler used.

 

EXE: Loading program 0006-0405 to 0800-0BFF
EXE: Loading program 040A-048E to 0600-0684
EXE: Loading program 0493-0645 to 0C00-0DB2
EXE: Loading program 064A-0BF9 to 2600-2BAF
EXE: Loading program 0BFE-1145 to 2BC6-310D
EXE: Loading program 114A-1403 to 3113-33CC
EXE: Loading program 1408-2419 to 33D3-43E4
EXE: Loading program 241E-2755 to 43EA-4721
EXE: Loading program 275A-2BE9 to 4726-4BB5
EXE: Loading program 2BEE-2FDB to 4BBC-4FA9
EXE: Loading program 2FE0-343A to 4FB7-5411
EXE: Loading program 343F-374F to 5496-57A6
EXE: Loading program 3754-3EC7 to 57B7-5F2A
EXE: Loading program 3ECC-4191 to 5F3C-6201
EXE: Loading program 4196-424E to 6207-62BF
EXE: Loading program 4253-456B to 62D2-65EA
EXE: Loading program 4570-473F to 65FD-67CC
EXE: Loading program 4744-4B2B to 67D0-6BB7
EXE: Loading program 4B30-4BDE to 6BBC-6C6A
EXE: Loading program 4BE3-4D89 to 6C6E-6E14
EXE: Loading program 4D8E-5542 to 6E2A-75DE
EXE: Loading program 5547-562A to 7E1F-7F02
EXE: Loading program 562F-5B1F to 7F8C-847C
EXE: Loading program 5B24-5E5B to 8489-87C0
EXE: Loading program 5E60-5FE1 to 87D3-8954
EXE: Loading program 5FE6-639F to 895B-8D14
EXE: Loading program 63A4-6440 to 8D19-8DB5
EXE: Loading program 6445-652D to 8DCA-8EB2
EXE: Loading program 6532-6637 to 8EB6-8FBB
EXE: Loading program 663C-6B28 to 8FC3-94AF
EXE: Loading program 6B2D-6CA2 to 94B2-9627
EXE: Loading program 6CA7-6CA8 to 02E0-02E1
EXE: Launching at 2B01

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EXE: Loading program 0006-0405 to 0800-0BFF
EXE: Loading program 040A-048E to 0600-0684

 

this might overwrite some xex loaders while they're loading the game (on real hw)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tmp said:

this might overwrite some xex loaders while they're loading the game (on real hw)

When I tried loading from SDrive-Max on my 800, it started loading, then SIO went mad, not loading anything, just

a screaming SIO noise, then stopped ??? so maybe your right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...