IGNORED

Atari VCS Web-Shop - shipping destinations?

ComputerSpaceFan

I'm tempted to get the VCS Classic joystick but I live in Vancouver Canada and when I go to check out it says to choose either United States or Other Country for that listing and if I choose Other Country I then get a red X telling me the "Other Country" box can't be left blank.

Weirdly though they do have a duty calculator.

So can these items be shipped to Canada yet?

Edited by justclaws
renamed topic, to clarify further (not VCS s/w store)
  • Sad 1

Yes, I see the ordinary page only has USA as a shipping option. 
I want a 2nd modern controller, and missed-out on the backers-offer previously.
image.thumb.png.a695d46b90c6c848a12262a3cd7bb519.png

I'd contact Atari customer-service, because they have plans for international distribution 
this year, as I recall (but maybe delayed due to Covid), so maybe it's not that far away.
I'll dig around too and see if I can find an active international shipping option somehow.

Australia and New Zealand got first international distribution, but with a huge local mark-up.
I hope that the European distributors don't add such a huge mark-up once it gets here too!

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with the results of "how difficult is it to ship to Canada" in Google:

Anything commercial in nature will require a declaration, clearance from customs and a potential inspection at the port of entry. Anything commercial with a tariff will require additional fees at the border.

and this check list:

Do you provide a properly completed Canada Customs Invoice, or just a commercial invoice?

Does the invoice contain ALL the required info. Memorandum D1-4-1 - CBSA Invoice Requirements

Are the goods of U.S. or Mexican origin and if so have you provided the proper NAFTA certificate of origin?

Do you know how to determine if the goods qualify under NAFTA?

Is the Importer clearly marked on all documents and packages? Is their customs brokers name clearly indicated? Are you even using a broker or is this a DIY project?

Are you using experienced registered trucking companies or independents?

Have you or the importer ever been caught in a previous violation?

Are you shipping controlled goods like food, medications, cosmetics, guns, etc.

24 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I'm gonna guess it has something to do with the results of "how difficult is it to ship to Canada" in Google:

Funny how that doesn't prevent me from buying literally, well, everything directly from U.S. vendors. This is just laziness/ineptitude by someone at Atari :) .

You should have seen what it was like before the era of Free Trade. I once put in an order with Computability at the beginning of 1987, and it took reams of forms as well as a 25% customs fee to get my precious A8 games.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Funny how that doesn't prevent me from buying literally, well, everything directly from U.S. vendors. This is just laziness/ineptitude by someone at Atari :) .

You should have seen what it was like before the era of Free Trade. I once put in an order with Computability at the beginning of 1987, and it took reams of forms as well as a 25% customs fee to get my precious A8 games.

We could solve this problem with a couple of catapaults and parachutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

The bad news is it's going to cost more to ship than the price of the joystick itself! What the hell?

Given that price, it is probably being hand-delivered by someone arriving by Greyhound bus.

Is that a flat-rate price for everywhere in Canada? It could be a very good deal for shipping to Pond Inlet; rather less so for other places. 

5 hours ago, jhd said:

Given that price, it is probably being hand-delivered by someone arriving by Greyhound bus.

Is that a flat-rate price for everywhere in Canada? It could be a very good deal for shipping to Pond Inlet; rather less so for other places. 

Shipping here isn't usually THAT expensive.

Now, not to get political, but I did read online that the US Post Master General Louis DeJoy is maybe making mailing things more expensive than before so maybe that's a factor. 

I sure hope there's another way to get one of these joysticks up here before Christmas.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

Shipping here isn't usually THAT expensive.

Now, not to get political, but I did read online that the US Post Master General Louis DeJoy is maybe making mailing things more expensive than before so maybe that's a factor. 

I sure hope there's another way to get one of these joysticks up here before Christmas.

Probably why they're selling US only for the most part, with how much it cost to ship things overseas, it would make it more unreasonable price wise.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2021 at 9:05 AM, Gimmel said:

So when i was at reddit few days ago and asked has anybody gotten the vcs outside Canada or USA,
one guy said that come to this forum here is VCS owners all around the world.
So i was wondering how did you get it then?

I was that guy. :-D 
Atari have in their financial report this week that European distribution will start in 2022.
That was planned for the 2nd half of 2021 originally, but I presume Covid delayed that also.

IndieGogo Campaign
I would say that most of the owners outside the USA, Canada, or Oceana, have their systems
from the IndieGoGo campaign. Those first approximately 11000 systems, including the 6000
Collectors Editions (which have a unique Teak facia, and include a Certificate), were shipped
world-wide, from December 2020, the last in January 2021.
Retailers (for Oceana)
Retailers in Oceana, and then retailers in Canada, now also have the systems.
USA Address Services (re-shipping services)
Other people have used shipping services (as mentioned in this thread, above) to get them.

I created a poll, related to your question, and people can also add how, if they want to.

I just discovered this retailer who offer shipping of the VCS worldwide.
This seems to be an even easier solution than using the USA re-shipping services.
I've not done any research into them, but it looks legit.
https://www.bigapplebuddy.com/product/8/atari-vcs-800-all-in-bundle-black-walnut/65061723

21 hours ago, justclaws said:

I just discovered this retailer who offer shipping of the VCS worldwide.
This seems to be an even easier solution than using the USA re-shipping services.
I've not done any research into them, but it looks legit.
https://www.bigapplebuddy.com/product/8/atari-vcs-800-all-in-bundle-black-walnut/65061723

Well they are "slightly better" .... they only charge 40 bucks for a 59.99 Classic Controller to Vancouver BC Canada but I'm still not purchasing one with that kind of shipping.

• Like 1