Jump to content
SegaMasterSystemPunk

Making games for the Amico?

Recommended Posts

So, let's say a regular Joe Schmoe like me, who isn't a AAA studio or even an indie studio, just an individual developer, gets the idea to make a game for the Amico. How would I go about it? Can I get access to the tooling somehow? Or would I have to make a regular Unity game, then port it to the Amico if Tommy and his crew likes the game enough? 

 

The rule that every game must support the official controllers, does that mean use all the features of the controller? Or just be easily playable and enjoyable using the controller? Should a dev for example force the use of motion control in, even if it's not natural to the gameplay?

 

And what is Intellivisions Quality Control Scale? Is it possible to quantify what 7 out of 10 means? Is there more to it than fun, family friendly, and working?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

So, let's say a regular Joe Schmoe like me, who isn't a AAA studio or even an indie studio, just an individual developer, gets the idea to make a game for the Amico. How would I go about it? Can I get access to the tooling somehow? Or would I have to make a regular Unity game, then port it to the Amico if Tommy and his crew likes the game enough? 

 

The rule that every game must support the official controllers, does that mean use all the features of the controller? Or just be easily playable and enjoyable using the controller? Should a dev for example force the use of motion control in, even if it's not natural to the gameplay?

 

And what is Intellivisions Quality Control Scale? Is it possible to quantify what 7 out of 10 means? Is there more to it than fun, family friendly, and working?

 

 

They have a contact for Developers on their website. I would reach out to them. 

https://intellivision.com/contact

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy was asked about this by GamesBeat in 2019.

 

They are pushing the exclusivity clause where each game is to have some exclusive content for Amico, and only hand-selected partners are privy to the development workflow. My impression is indie development will not be a strong candidate for this platform. Developers would have to reach out to them with proposals for consideration.

 

Quote

GamesBeat: Do you want to have a development environment that can easily take something from somewhere else and put it on your platform? Or do you actually not want that?

Tallarico: We don’t want that, no. We’re not interested in that.

GamesBeat: Something like Unity, where you can press a button and here’s the Intellivision version.

Tallarico: 90 percent of the games are being developed in Unity. We have a partnership with Unity. They’ll be able to save to Unity. But our OS is a hybrid, a Linux/Android hybrid that we’ve created in house. It’s very solid, but it’s very flexible, with Linux being the flexible part and Android being the solid part.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every game must support the controllers means you can't have a game that requires dual analog sticks and six buttons.  If you have a game idea that might make use of a controller display, microphone, and speaker; maybe you can use a second android device as a controller.

 

Almost all Amico developers are independent developers.  Amico is a closed system, so your game needs their approval to be on their store.  That's where their seven out of ten quality scale comes in.  It just means they want all the games to meet some level of quality as well as their other criteria.  That includes local multiplayer, allowing for unskilled players, and family friendly content.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Every game must support the controllers means you can't have a game that requires dual analog sticks and six buttons.  If you have a game idea that might make use of a controller display, microphone, and speaker; maybe you can use a second android device as a controller.

 

Almost all Amico developers are independent developers.  Amico is a closed system, so your game needs their approval to be on their store.  That's where their seven out of ten quality scale comes in.  It just means they want all the games to meet some level of quality as well as their other criteria.  That includes local multiplayer, allowing for unskilled players, and family friendly content.

 

Ok, so the quality scale pretty much is how well the game lives up to the promises made in the promotions?

The closed system part is actually what I find attractive. For open systems, it's all about not drowning in the cacophony of shuffleware, much more than it's about actually making a good game. I feel with the Amico, the challenge is to make a good game, and that's what I'd like to focus on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The quality scale means the game has to be fun, good graphics and sound.  Intellivision Entertainment has been known to help their developers by contributing game art and audio.  The other criteria are other criteria.  I assume you've seen their ten commandments of game design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The quality scale means the game has to be fun, good graphics and sound.  Intellivision Entertainment has been known to help their developers by contributing game art and audio.  The other criteria are other criteria.  I assume you've seen their ten commandments of game design.

 

Yes, it's from the ten commandments of game design I know that there's a quality scale. One of the commandments was that vauge "at least 7 of 10" on that named but undefined scale.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

How do I summon him? Kill four baby goats on a night when it's a full moon?

Or does @Tommy Tallarico work? :)

Both are probably acceptable, but the latter should probably be more effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did someone say my name three times? 

Please don't hurt the goats... I'm vegan!

 

:)

 

Hi!  Thanks for your interest!  Everything that @mr_me mentioned is accurate.  Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll try to answer them here.

Thanks!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Did someone say my name three times? 

Please don't hurt the goats... I'm vegan!

 

:)

 

Hi!  Thanks for your interest!  Everything that @mr_me mentioned is accurate.  Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll try to answer them here.

Thanks!

 


Is there an ice hockey game in the making? I've not seen it mentioned in trailers, but I've seen youtubers claim there will be one. Please confirm or deny. :)

Where is the line actually drawn when it comes to 3D? I've heard the soccer game is supposedly full 3D. Or is it just 2.5D done really well, so that the dev(s) fooled a youtuber into thinking it was full 3D? The 10 commandments say "no roaming 3D worlds", does that mean full 3D in an enclosed space is fine? Is this rule purely for performance reasons, or is there a thematic reason for it (look and feel)? 

Is there a preference towards 2.5D over 2D?

Should the artistic style adhere to a certain theme? Either as in "must do", or as in "is preferable"?

 

No goats were harmed in the making of this post.

Edited by SegaMasterSystemPunk
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking about hockey, the other day I realized that nobody has ever made a field hockey game. A few years ago there was an amateur project to develop one, but that's it. I think they have stopped. It's interesting, because it's one of the top 5 team sports in the world (even if it's not the most popular in any country).

 

Some interesting facts I discovered while doing research about field hockey games:

 

- There are practically no water polo video games.

 

- In contrast, there are quite a few cricket and handball video games.

 

- There's a very popular sport in india called kabaddi, but there are not too many video games based on it. However, one of them appears to have done a decent job recently representing the game.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2021 at 10:19 PM, MattPilz said:

Tommy was asked about this by GamesBeat in 2019.

 

They are pushing the exclusivity clause where each game is to have some exclusive content for Amico, and only hand-selected partners are privy to the development workflow. My impression is indie development will not be a strong candidate for this platform. Developers would have to reach out to them with proposals for consideration.

 

 

That seems kind of limiting. And optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A curated game library is limited by definition but for the beneficial purpose of eliminating redundancy and improving overall quality.  Eliminating redundancy and a working relationship with the platform owner is attractive to developers.

 

There will be a hockey game on Amico.  One isn't in production as far as I know.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr_me said:

A curated game library is limited by definition but for the beneficial purpose of eliminating redundancy and improving overall quality.  Eliminating redundancy and a working relationship with the platform owner is attractive to developers.

 

There will be a hockey game on Amico.  One isn't in production as far as I know.

 

 

 

 

Overall quality is subjective. Yes, there's a lot of dross on the Ninty eShop, but there are also some absolutely cracking indie gems for a few quid that probably wouldn't have been converted had it been made any more difficult to do so. I've been buying games for a long time, I'd rather have a library to choose from that someone do the choosing for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are going for a specific audience, one that hasn't been buying games for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mr_me said:

They are going for a specific audience, one that hasn't been buying games for a long time.

It's very doubtful this supposed audience actually exists. People who don't buy games but like to occasionally play them don't do so because there's so much free stuff out there. They don't care that it includes ads or microtransactions, same as people who don't mind an ad block every 12.5 minutes of a TV show or those who surf the net without an ad blocker.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems people doubt everything they do.  We'll find out one day, if they can ever get these things manufactured.  Not sure if the ad supported model is working anymore.  It use to be okay years ago but it's a lot different now, much more intrusive.  Where are you getting your information that people are okay with microtransactions.

Edited by mr_me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Seems people doubt everything they do.  We'll find out one day, if they can ever get these things manufactured.  Not sure if the ad supported model is working anymore.  It use to be okay years ago but it's a lot different now.  Where are you getting your information that people are okay with microtransactions.

Are you serious? Did you check the size of the mobile gaming market recently?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mr_me said:

It use to be okay years ago but it's a lot different now, much more intrusive.

I agree with this and find the current state of mobile to be absolutely toxic and relentless. So many superficial apps that trick users into signing up for weekly/monthly payments and splash full-screen ads every minute of play plus banner ads and more. Facebook is crawling with terrible app ads, often depicting games that don't even match what the game really is, all in the name of driving ad revenue through malicious means.

 

I had family that was on the verge of being charged $50 a month for some scam app just because a kid tapped one button to "agree" to it. Not allowing such microtransactions, ads and DLC is a huge win for the user experience.

Edited by MattPilz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mr_me said:

A curated game library is limited by definition but for the beneficial purpose of eliminating redundancy and improving overall quality.  Eliminating redundancy and a working relationship with the platform owner is attractive to developers.

 

There will be a hockey game on Amico.  One isn't in production as far as I know.

 

 

 

 

 

If no hockey game is in production, how do you know there will be one?

 

Maybe @Tommy Tallarico can clarify? Is there anyone working on this?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, they said there would be an Amico hockey game; of course they can always change their mind.  And I'm pretty sure they have a list of games waiting to be developed.  They've talked about a second wave of game development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2021 at 12:57 PM, Tommy Tallarico said:

Did someone say my name three times? 

Please don't hurt the goats... I'm vegan!

 

:)

 

Hi!  Thanks for your interest!  Everything that @mr_me mentioned is accurate.  Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll try to answer them here.

Thanks!

 


Nevermind about sports games, I just though of a great concept for a simple and fun game of a kind that has been around for long, but which I've not seen in a multiplayer version before. And I think I could make multiplayer work great in an Amico configuration.

How do I proceed? 

Also, for comparison - How does difficulty work in Astrosmash? Does the game get harder if you add another player? Or is it a pure advantage to be co-oping? I lean towards the latter for my game, to encourage bringing friends and family to beat the damn thing. :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...