IGNORED

Video games on multiple formats that look (almost) nothing alike

carlsson

Inspired by a completely different topic in the A8 section, and because we love to point out various games, it got me thinking of games that were ported to multiple formats but look nothing alike. Some examples:

Frak! on the BBC Micro, Electron and the C64. While the graphics mainly are the same, the C64 version has MUCH bigger graphics, scrolls in all directions, different music. It seems that different publishers were involved.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/frak/screenshots

Caverns of Khafka on the Atari 8-bit and C64. A bit of the same thing - the A8 version is single screen, the C64 is greatly zoomed in with scrolling. In that case I understand that Paul Norman took the concept from Robert Bonifacio and remade it, though both games were published by Cosmi.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/caverns-of-khafka/screenshots

I suppose pointing out games such as Zaxxon for the Atari 2600 and Intellivision compared to the original game is a cheap point that I'll make before anyone else does. :)

https://www.mobygames.com/game/zaxxon_/screenshots

Of course I'm also interested in more recent games, at least up to Y2K. Note that I'm not really thinking of modern remakes of an older game where developers simply based the new game on the old but completely reimagined it. As a rule of thumb, I think release dates should be no more than 3-4 years apart between the versions you present, ideally even closer together.

• Like 2

Only counting the games with the same title from the same publisher.

Sunsoft's Batman the Video Game on NES and Genesis.

Konami's Batman Returns on NES and SNES.

THQ's Wayne's World on SNES/Genesis is completely different from the version released on NES and Gameboy.

Good examples, keep 'em coming! And yes, obviously the games should be related by publisher or unique title so not e.g. two different games based on Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, released roughly simultaneously.

I suppose E.T. might be a borderline case, as the 2600 and A8 games are completely different, yet both published by Atari and belonging to the same licensing package deal they made with Spielberg.

5 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I suppose E.T. might be a borderline case, as the 2600 and A8 games are completely different, yet both published by Atari and belonging to the same licensing package deal they made with Spielberg.

I guess it's the same case as Kool Aid man as I posted above, same license deal but completely different games...

An early one I remember seeing screenshots in COMPUTE! magazine and smirk at the differences between the Atari 8-bit and TRS-80 versions would be Strätos by Adventure International.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/strtos/screenshots

Actually the comparison looked even worse in the advertisement than in the Mobygames screenshots above:

https://archive.org/details/1983-10-compute-magazine/page/n87/mode/2up

Edited by carlsson

18 hours ago, Tanooki said:

How about Dragon's Lair on the NES, SNES, Gameboy, etc vs the Laserdisc, Home CD/DVD, Wii Trilogy, mobile, ...even Gameboy Color releases?

**BAD**

**GOOD**

Coleco Adam had a radically different version too.  

word-image-1.png.57a77f005f696d3bd42c097e6aeb3464.png

Atari ST/Amiga/Dos had a floppy-based version much closer to the arcade, but with reduced visuals and scenes removed:

dragons_lair_2.gif.da926b1277bd9584cd389ed87bc190c2.gif

But to be fair, it wasn't really possible to do this game justice until CD-ROM drives came along.

• Like 3

Another NES downgrade was Archon, which is different than all the other ports (C64, Amiga, PC). Inexplicably, they changed the battle screen to have obstacles that could be in an up (blocking) or down (shots go through) position rather than having the obstacles fade in/out over time. There are other battle differences which make this version unenjoyable to play.

NES

image.png.72f9465fca4e0024db999a0dc3bb438d.png

Atari 800

image.png.73c4450f87f866a7e8cbb7671508406d.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zzip said:

Coleco Adam had a radically different version too.  

word-image-1.png.57a77f005f696d3bd42c097e6aeb3464.png

Atari ST/Amiga/Dos had a floppy-based version much closer to the arcade, but with reduced visuals and scenes removed:

dragons_lair_2.gif.da926b1277bd9584cd389ed87bc190c2.gif

But to be fair, it wasn't really possible to do this game justice until CD-ROM drives came along.

Microdeal  released the  laser disc version of "Dragon's Lair" PAL in 1988.

Only snag.. you needed to buy the disc itself  (£99.95), a cable to connect a laser disc player to the ST (£19.95), and of course a laser disc player... 

Bargin ?

• Like 1

Another NES anomaly (arguably for the best), Bionic Commando. Instead of linear stages like the arcade, the game displayed a map and you chose your next conflict area (with enemy trucks/helicopters) can interrupt your progress. Additionally, it played more like an adventure game, requiring you to find Communication Rooms to intercept communications, acquire new weapons/tools, etc. There are many other differences (including localization and better Europe c64 ports over USA C64), but it is too much to cover. See here instead

http://frgcb.blogspot.com/2014/05/bionic-commando-capcom-19871988.html?m=1

NES (USA)

nintendo+2.png

C64 (Europe)

image.png.891d2c58083ab37c7dcced48eb28fd93.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

^Good call, but then again, I'm kind of surprised you didn't double dip with Strider on this one as it's Capcom too and the same option to take a pretty linear and alright arcade game and made it far more awesome going into the whole adventure route.

While I played the NES Strider bitd, I was actually introduced to it after playing the much superior Genesis port. When a friend did show me the NES version, it was missing the iconic somersault flipping animation, the smooth roll and slide, wall-jump (I know it has one, but it feels completely different), and the gigantic sprites.

More than likely my feelings for Bionic Commando (NES) are due to playing that version first. Having played the arcade version of Strider first, the NES version seems wrong.

(PS: this isn’t always the case, just usually. The arcade Joust flap seems more appropriate than the a800 (played first) version. Although I played Mountain King (a800) first, I prefer the jumping on the 2600.)