IGNORED

an Updated Diagnostic Software for the TI-99/4 - /4A ?

ti99iuc

For my computers I still using the standard and old cartridge from Texas Instruments - Diagnostic (1979)

I do not know if I lost something somewhere but, 

Is there an alternative updated recent diagnostic software solution to test the internal components on the motherboard of our TI99s?

Edited by ti99iuc

@Ksarul yep, also the old CorComp, right... but I was just hoping for something more comprehensive and maybe current diagnostics (not just for memory) for the basic TI99.
I already use the nice JediMatt's memory tester for the expansions indeed.

I just miss a good diag tester of the MB chips, something Like an: Ultimate Diagnostic 20xx that include all and maybe can tell the exact chip (or more) of VDP broken  or sound chip and what other...
an automatic full diagnostic.

anyway if you don't mentioned, it is not recognized ;)

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:39 PM, ti99iuc said:

I just miss a good diag tester of the MB chips, something Like an: Ultimate Diagnostic 20xx that include all and maybe can tell the exact chip (or more) of VDP broken  or sound chip and what other...
an automatic full diagnostic.

Such features usually require that the design includes the necessary feedback routes. Which adds cost, and that's nothing you want in a home product like the TI 99/4A.

Memory is easy enough to test, as you can both write to it and read from it. But a computer like the 99/4A usually can't test the sound, because it can only generate it. It has no way to "listen" to what comes out, so it can't determine if the sequence used to generate the sound really was successful. The same is true for the image on the screen.

In production, it's common to include a number of test points on the PCB. Then a testing device is probing these test points, while the computer runs some specific software. Then the computer may emit sound, and the test device will probe sound output line to see if the desired tone is actually emitted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sparkdrummer said:

These aren't really updated diagnostics, but you might find them interesting.

I have tested them and I must say that they are useful a lot!
Overall test.dsk is really close to the one I would like to have. Better was if in Cartridge format but it is a start.

2021-09-22_230214.thumb.png.a7dc4c8c9778f78ab3f3605ec125e21f.png

Also Test2 is really interesting for the Video and Sound but overall for the third choice:
image.thumb.png.714c0d302372f2df8eef1dccb629f013.png

I just have an error with the 7th option but I will try on the real thing.

thanks again for sharing these.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2021 at 4:03 PM, sparkdrummer said:

Have you tried Advanced Diagnostics by MG?

I can't figure out how to get past Page 1 of the menu on ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS. 

Function-7 brings up the menu, "command List pg 1." But how to get to pages 2,3,4...???

@sparkdrummer  The manual says CTL-E and CTL-S but those do not seem to work?

Edited by Airshack

On 9/22/2021 at 5:50 AM, sparkdrummer said:

These aren't really updated diagnostics, but you might find them interesting.

KNOWWARE DIAG.pdf 40.84 kB · 41 downloads TEST.dsk 90 kB · 35 downloads TEST2.dsk 90 kB · 37 downloads

Have a simple joystick 1/2 test program @sparkdrummer ?  It appears the 1979 Diagnostics program was designed for the cancelled analogue RF controllers, not Atari style joysticks.

Edited by Airshack
  • Like 1