IGNORED

USB Gamepads for 9-pin Atari-8bit/C64/2600

cathrynm

Does anyone make a dongle for using USB gamepads on Atari 8-bit, 2600s, C64, etc. I try searching for this, but I get too many results for the reverse, for using 9-pin joysticks on modern PCs/emulators. I can't figure out how to do the other way around. Am I missing something obvious here?

Edited by cathrynm

There's this old thread here:

Encouraged by that thread, I've bought the TOM Rev2 adapter, but unfortunately it doesn't work properly on my 600XL. The adapter blinks, the d-pad works, but the trigger button only register the first two presses, then it refuses to work. I've tried several USB gamepads, without any luck.

I've ended up buying the Hyperkin Ranger from Amazon, which works very well.

Not to be the devils advocate but why get a device to enumerate usb to 9 pin when there are a ton of brand new out of the box 9 pin gamepads and building joysticks is simple. This type of devise will induce some lag and much to go wrong in comparison. Again not being a devils advocate simply asking what am i missing? Right now for my 8bits im using two new 3 button gamepads from hyperkin and one arcade joystick which i built using a arcade joystick, arcade button feeding a cable connected direct to a 9pin dsub.

all 3 options brand brand new and work nice. 

am i missing out on something? 

anyone actually actively use usb to 9 pin with no complaints?

7 hours ago, oo7 said:

Not to be the devils advocate but why get a device to enumerate usb to 9 pin when there are a ton of brand new out of the box 9 pin gamepads

I use the USB one on Altirra and on my 130XE/800 setup, so 9 pin is not useful, also, has to be a gamepad for me as I find it difficult

to hold joysticks (old age creeping in :) ).

What I did was use an Arduino with a USB HAT, wrote some code and I can use my Buffalo Joypad on both, as a side effect, I enhanced

the USB code to be able to use a USB Keyboard too through the joystick port (obviously not Joy and Key at the same time)

8 hours ago, Peruchi said:

There's this old thread here:

Encouraged by that thread, I've bought the TOM Rev2 adapter, but unfortunately it doesn't work properly on my 600XL. The adapter blinks, the d-pad works, but the trigger button only register the first two presses, then it refuses to work. I've tried several USB gamepads, without any luck.

I've ended up buying the Hyperkin Ranger from Amazon, which works very well.

We found the TOM2 to be not the most dependable device, but wondering, we’re you able to find the updater app and the instructions for it or did you just have to wing it out of the box?

I did find the updater from the electronica4u site, but it doesn't work also. Under Windows 10, the updater app recognizes the adapter, but it got stuck when I press the update button. 

And the manual is more leaned towards Amiga computers. 

Anyway, good that it worked for you, Swami!

Edited by Peruchi

44 minutes ago, Peruchi said:

I did find the updater from the electronica4u site, but it doesn't work also. Under Windows 10, the updater app recognizes the adapter, but it got stuck when I press the update button. 

And the manual is more leaned towards Amiga computers. 

Anyway, good that it worked for you, Swami!

They worked but I had two of them die. I still have a TOM+ that works. I had one where I did an update and lost functionality with one of the controllers and then it did not work with the updater anymore. The Rys Mk II may or may not be better.

BTW, the Amiga and Atari computers have the same controller port and should be interchangeable with the same controllers. I think the C64 ones are basically the same as far as gamepad, but can be a problem to use Atari/Amiga adapters on a C64. 

there is a very good one on eBay if you look up “Amiga CD32 Atari PlayStation Adapter PSX” from the UK (set to “Worldwide”). Unfortunately it only works with PlayStation 1/2 controllers and is a little pricey with current international shipping. Sold by *amiga*collector*. 

• Like 1

The is an adapter for Sega to connect to BT devices. This solution is not USB to Atari, but allows you to use SOME modern Bluetooth pads with Atari after a simple modification.

It worked for me with the Wiimote and Nintendo pro controller. Not universal

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Retro-Bluetooth-Receiver-Original-Genesis/dp/B07MSWGSJY/ref=sr_1_15

It is not (was) that expensive either.

Maybe the one that comes with the pad and not only the adapter is more convient right now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9Q3MCD

Edited by manterola
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:49 AM, Swami said:

We found the TOM2 to be not the most dependable device, but wondering, we’re you able to find the updater app and the instructions for it or did you just have to wing it out of the box?

There's a link to google drive in the first comment in this video where you can find what you want.

https://youtu.be/nVpGYbuq-aw

21 hours ago, Peruchi said:

It doesn't work because most of the time the update server doesn't work at all.

I have TOM+ rev.2 and it does work with any cotrollers except those from Microsoft.

Edited by TommyTomorrow
  • Like 1

There's this device by @Eyvind Bernhardsen which is simple, open and supports the 8bitdo genesis adapter to get most bluetooth controllers working.

I'm just waiting for boards for a revised design and I'm going to make simple cases for it.

Looks about perfect, even supports Joy2B+ for more than one extra button support.