Rev

Will Amico launch holiday 2021?

Whats the latest on the possible holiday 2021 launch as mentioned in the official newsletter?   

Possibly a “soft launch” of founders editions and other pre orders. 

• Like 1

Based on cost projections for parts and being realistic - I believe that the new release date for general availability will be October 2022. Prices on components will not get any better than they are today until then. Keeping a fully staffed company running without revenue for that long wouldn't work - so I think they'll most likely have to go dormant with a limited crew and turn the lights back on for release. Unfortunately this will be must like the Atari 7800 where it was shelved for too long and the NES was way ahead before it was finally put on the market. If we were placing bets - that's what I would guess if there was $ involved in being accurate. Totally happy with being incorrect - but this is purely an imagined best guess. We're in a time of speculation until we have any official news on a release date - so a guess is as good as we have right now.

12 minutes ago, Jacob Livingston said:

Based on cost projections for parts and being realistic - I believe that the new release date for general availability will be October 2022. Prices on components will not get any better than they are today until then. Keeping a fully staffed company running without revenue for that long wouldn't work - so I think they'll most likely have to go dormant with a limited crew and turn the lights back on for release. Unfortunately this will be must like the Atari 7800 where it was shelved for too long and the NES was way ahead before it was finally put on the market. If we were placing bets - that's what I would guess if there was $ involved in being accurate. Totally happy with being incorrect - but this is purely an imagined best guess. We're in a time of speculation until we have any official news on a release date - so a guess is as good as we have right now.

They will have to build the things also, and distribute them. October 2022 sounds optimistic to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

They will have to build the things also, and distribute them. October 2022 sounds optimistic to me.

Yep, for sure. The holiday season is really the best time as well. You can try to make justifications for other times of the year, but they all just sound like compromises when missing the holiday window. Lets button it all down for Oct 2022 with a solid roadmap of upcoming games. Wouldn't It Be Something™ to safely launch at that later date and have all of your ducks in a row to enjoy 2023 with a perfectly planned execution. The current stumbles will be such a small moment in time in retrospect if executed properly.

9 hours ago, Jacob Livingston said:

Unfortunately this will be must like the Atari 7800 where it was shelved for too long and the NES was way ahead before it was finally put on the market.

The problem with the 7800 was that its focus was on arcade games. It was trying to compete against the Colecovision. Unfortunately, by the time it got released, arcades were already starting to decline. The 7800 didn't fail because of the NES, it failed because people who played video games changed.

For now, the Amico doesn't have a real competitor. I don't think Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will try to change their target demographics (and therefore the style of games they offer) anytime soon. Also, I don't think people who now play casual games on mobile will suddenly change. It means delays should not affect Intellivision much.

4 hours ago, Papy said:

The problem with the 7800 was that its focus was on arcade games. It was trying to compete against the Colecovision. Unfortunately, by the time it got released, arcades were already starting to decline. The 7800 didn't fail because of the NES, it failed because people who played video games changed.

For now, the Amico doesn't have a real competitor. I don't think Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will try to change their target demographics (and therefore the style of games they offer) anytime soon. Also, I don't think people who now play casual games on mobile will suddenly change. It means delays should not affect Intellivision much.

Exactly what is this market segment, where not even Nintendo reaches?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Papy said:

Because the overwhelming number of NES titles weren't 2D arcade-orientated?

It's well known by now why the 7800 failed, but you know better I guess....

10 hours ago, Papy said:

My reference to the 7800 was just purely the aspect of being late to market and missing out on a timely opportunity. That was the only parallel I was drawing there. Regarding the target demographic - we really can't fool ourselves into thinking that the Nintendo Switch platform doesn't have this covered with the bonus of also appealing to a broader range. Check out "Bubble Bobble 4 Friends" on the Switch and tell me that it doesn't align with being the perfect game for Amico if they were able to attract the license. It has a ton more appeal than something like Dynablasters or a doll getting mangled on a motorcycle. There are many more - I have 2 kids aged 5 and 9. Are there any parents of today here who feel that Intellivision's view of what parents know and think are from a 70s/80s mindset? We all grew up with games, unlike our parents. Calibration of messaging seems to be off by a generation or two.

3 minutes ago, Jacob Livingston said:

My reference to the 7800 was just purely the aspect of being late to market and missing out on a timely opportunity. That was the only parallel I was drawing there. Regarding the target demographic - we really can't fool ourselves into thinking that the Nintendo Switch platform doesn't have this covered with the bonus of also appealing to a broader range. Check out "Bubble Bobble 4 Friends" on the Switch and tell me that it doesn't align with being the perfect game for Amico if they were able to attract the license. It has a ton more appeal than something like Dynablasters or a doll getting mangled on a motorcycle. There are many more - I have 2 kids aged 5 and 9. Are there any parents of today here who feel that Intellivision's view of what parents know and think are from a 70s/80s mindset? We all grew up with games, unlike our parents. Calibration of messaging seems to be off by a generation or two.

Yeah, some of the marketing appears to be entirely reliant on the fact that existing games are somehow 'too complicated' for kids. Mine (6, 11, 17) have grown up with videogames, and while they're happy to waste ten minutes on the tablet, they're a lot more likely to want to play a 'proper' game. Faves at the minute include Super Mario Party, Mario & Sonic Tokyo Olympics, the ever-popular Minecraft, and (for some unfathomable reason) Sonic Unleashed. The two elder kids would be quite baffled if I sat them down in front of Astrosmash / Farkle / Cornhole and told them this was their new gaming machine. The youngest might entertain it for a while, then go back to Mario.

And yes, Bubble Bobble 4 is brilliant. With the added bonus of the included original!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Parker77 said:

Yeah, some of the marketing appears to be entirely reliant on the fact that existing games are somehow 'too complicated' for kids. Mine (6, 11, 17) have grown up with videogames, and while they're happy to waste ten minutes on the tablet, they're a lot more likely to want to play a 'proper' game. Faves at the minute include Super Mario Party, Mario & Sonic Tokyo Olympics, the ever-popular Minecraft, and (for some unfathomable reason) Sonic Unleashed. The two elder kids would be quite baffled if I sat them down in front of Astrosmash / Farkle / Cornhole and told them this was their new gaming machine. The youngest might entertain it for a while, then go back to Mario.

And yes, Bubble Bobble 4 is brilliant. With the added bonus of the included original!

My experience matches very closely to yours. At age 4 my son was able to get past the first stage of Super Mario Bros 3. It was a great moment. He's on the Switch and iPad mostly and sometimes the PS4 with the HORI controller made for kids. Even though the iPad can be a single user device, my son enjoys it a whole lot more when we're playing games together on it. Mostly by alternating turns on challenging levels and helping each other out. There are some great split screen multitouch games as well. With improper parenting the Amico can be just a solitary as any other game system. Good parents can make anything work. Suggesting otherwise comes off as not reading the room well.

• Like 1

From my own experience as well I'd say 1980s style single-screen games are just not attention holding for today's generation. CNN did a humorous "Kids vs. '80s video games" segment a few years ago where they tried to figure out how to work a 2600 and play Asteroids, and a girl was asked "If you were in the 80s would this be fun for you?" and she replied "No, I would just pick up a book, sit in a chair and read all day."

That is the same sentiment I see with all of the kids I personally know. Even 7-10 year olds have a surprisingly advanced taste in games and enjoy story-based structure and other more complex genres. This is why I hope to see more sophisticated games developed for Amico that have deeper playability. Amico still seems to struggle finding its true audience, the promotions that games are too complex these days is not particularly on point with what kind of games I see kids actually playing and enjoying. Plus there is a huge bank of simple/casual games that have done well, Jack Box has proven immensely popular for local couch play with small mini games, same with Speed Runners, Duck Game etc.

It still feels that the number one demographic for the system, at least for the initial run and orders, is going to be 80s kids who are interested in the nostalgia factor more than casual families.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Exactly what is this market segment, where not even Nintendo reaches?

Casual gamers.

9 hours ago, Parker77 said:

Because the overwhelming number of NES titles weren't 2D arcade-orientated?

It's well known by now why the 7800 failed, but you know better I guess....

Again, the 7800 wanted to use the exact same strategy as the Colecovision : mainly ports of arcade games. That was not the strategy of the NES. It's library was far more diversified than the 7800.

4 hours ago, Jacob Livingston said:

we really can't fool ourselves into thinking that the Nintendo Switch platform doesn't have this covered with the bonus of also appealing to a broader range. Check out "Bubble Bobble 4 Friends" on the Switch and tell me that it doesn't align with being the perfect game for Amico if they were able to attract the license.

No, the Switch does not cover casual gaming. You mention Bubble Bobble 4 Friends, but this game won't appeal to casual gamers. It will appeal to retro-gamers, it will appeal to children, but it won't appeal to casual gamers.

The first problem with this game is the childish presentation. Casual gamers are not children in adult bodies. They don't view something childish as appealing. For example, listen to the voice in Candy Crush. It is not a cutesy Nintendo-like kind of voice, it is a deep masculine voice. King was targeting casual gamers, mostly women, this is why this voice was chosen.

The second problem with Bubble Bobble 4 Friends is the gameplay itself. It has the exact same problem as a game like Overcooked! : the action is too frantic. Casual gamers will play an exciting party game from time to time, but their main desire is calmness. They want to think rather than to act fast.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Papy said:

No, the Switch does not cover casual gaming. You mention Bubble Bobble 4 Friends, but this game won't appeal to casual gamers. It will appeal to retro-gamers, it will appeal to children, but it won't appeal to casual gamers.

You just jumped the Shark Shark 😆

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Papy said:

No, the Switch does not cover casual gaming.

There are games for every Nintendo platform that encompass the "casual gaming" demographic. We can find very similar games to what Amico has announced on Switch/Wii or any prior consoles. Nintendo may cater to more than just casual gamers as any company would in order to expand its reach, but it certainly also covers casual gaming for those seeking such. At least if you are considering the games announced by Amico to be casual. E.g.:

Etc...

Edited by MattPilz
  • Thanks 6

The Famicom started out purely with arcade ports.  You can't expect everything you want on Amico day one.  They will have a unique controller designed for casuals day one.

Bubble Bobble 4 Friends graphics style and audio style might not fit with the style they are going for with Amico.  It's not a Nintendo game but it is closer to that style.  Not everyone cares for that style.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Because there are no games for casual gamers on the Switch..?

You miss the point. Nintendo is not targetting casual gamers and it is not promoting casual games. I'm sure there are a few hidden games on the Switch that no one knows about that could interest casual gamers, but casual gamers are not experts in video games. They do not know these games exists and they won't hunt these games.

7 hours ago, Jacob Livingston said:

You just jumped the Shark Shark 😆

I have no clue what your point is.

1 hour ago, MattPilz said:

There are games for every Nintendo platform that encompass the "casual gaming" demographic. We can find very similar games to what Amico has announced on Switch/Wii or any prior consoles. Nintendo may cater to more than just casual gamers as any company would in order to expand its reach, but it certainly also covers casual gaming for those seeking such. At least if you are considering the games announced by Amico to be casual. E.g.:

Etc...

Like SegaMasterSystemPunk, you are missing the point.

Worse, the examples you gave do backfire on you. For example, I was able to find ONE video on YouTube about Bomb! and this video had only 377 views. This is obviously an obscure game that no casual gamer will ever hear about. Worse, the game is obviously a student project game. There is a very basic intro muzak, but during the game itself there is no music, only some basic sound effect. That's the kind of game you think show off the Switch as a platform for casual gamers? Really?

I also looked at Rock 'N' Racing Off Road for the Switch. At least this game doesn't seem to be just a student project, but it's still a very low quality game. I watched two reviews for fun. One retro-gamer kind of liked it (I really wonder why considering the gameplay looked very dull), but another reviewer was bitching about it during the whole review. Generally, casual gamers don't care that much about graphics, but they still expect games to be fun to play.

I search for Plenty of Fishies for the Switch. The game doesn't seem to exist. Your link is for the Wii-U. I mean, come on now! The fact that you couldn't find a game equivalent to Shark Shark on the Switch kind of prove my point, doesn't it?

Now about Arcanoid Breakout for the Switch. Oh, for fuck’s sake! Are you kidding me now? I mean a first-year student can do better in three days. Comparing this to Breakout for the Amico is ridiculous.

Now Party Arcade. It's difficult to judge only with the video, so I searched for reviews. Here's the top "positive" review on Amazon : "I bought this game thinking you could play it with someone else on the same system but you can't without another switch. You can play online with other people and there are leaderboards so this helps make it a "party" game. Overall the gameplay is ok. The controls aren't the best motion controls ever but they are playable." I mean, would you buy this game?

OK. I'm done wasting my time looking at the crappy games you gave as examples (including two games that are not even on the Switch). As I said, your examples do prove my point.

58 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The Famicom started out purely with arcade ports.

This is not true. I mean I don't remember Donkey Kong Jr Math being an arcade game. Also, games like Baseball, Tennis, Pinball and several others were not arcade games per se. They were ported only later on the Nintendo VS System.

Anyway, this was in 83. It was still the golden era of Arcade games. However, the 7800 was released in 86. And yes, the difference between 1983 and 1986 was huge.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Papy said:

I'm done wasting my time looking at the crappy games you gave as examples

You're still attempting to argue that Nintendo doesn't cater to casual gamers? Really?

One of their select few launch titles for Switch was Super Bomberman R, it sold 2 million copies. Compare that to Dynablaster (which was originally Bomberman). What's the difference here?

Another launch title was 1-2-Switch, featuring casual couch play minigames. 3+ million sold.

You don't think that Mario Party is a casual game and huge selling point for Nintendo? Nintendo has sold more than 60 million copies in its life, but by far its greatest sales came from the Switch version, with around 16 million and currently #7 best-selling for the platform out of thousands of titles. People of all ages and game skills play these types of games, Animal Crossing and more.

I believe many would actually consider one screen games like Shark Shark to be coffee-break games or minigames as part of a larger offering, rather than dedicated console casual gaming in the modern sense. That style does remain immensely popular as web games and mobile apps (including Agar.io and Eatme.io, which is a lot like Shark Shark). The Android app Big Fish Eat Small Fish has over a million downloads.

Point being, I really don't think the casual gaming market is as wide open and untapped as you suggest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Papy said:

You miss the point. Nintendo is not targetting casual gamers and it is not promoting casual games. I'm sure there are a few hidden games on the Switch that no one knows about that could interest casual gamers, but casual gamers are not experts in video games. They do not know these games exists and they won't hunt these games.

Even if that was the case, which I don't agree with, it doesn't mean they don't compete with the Amico, since there clearly are games for that demographic in their offering.

Clubhouse games is the ultimate casual game and it's really good. My kids 9 and 12 play it all the time. It's basically 51 Amico games. Not the retro reimagined ones, but many of the other planned games.  And you can even play the games online if wanted. 

Now, not saying casual gamers that only play on phones are going to go out and get a Switch. But I don't think they will get an Amico either.  I guess we will see if it comes out.  My personal opinion is the Amico will be primarily retro gamers focused.  People fond of the original Intellivision and Atari. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Watch Nintendos advertising.  They certainly are targeting families and couch co-op and semi casual gamers. And people nostalgic to the old Nintendo games. 

Either way they are killing it with the Switch. My kids have done very well with it. Animal Crossing and Clubhouse games are their main games. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ashtonm said:

Watch Nintendos advertising.  They certainly are targeting families and couch co-op and semi casual gamers. And people nostalgic to the old Nintendo games. 

Either way they are killing it with the Switch. My kids have done very well with it. Animal Crossing and Clubhouse games are their main games. 

This. Saying that the Amico has no competition is silly. It sure offers some things that are different, but there's no untapped market segment that it will just own.

One thing I like with it is the hard no to loot boxes and DLC stuff. Pay for the game once, play it.

• Like 3