Rev

Will Amico launch holiday 2021?

3 hours ago, Mockduck said:

It has already been relegated to the historical scrap pile of Hot Wheels products, but you should look into Hot Wheels AI: https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Wheels-Intelligent-System-Starter/dp/B01EHTJG18/ That thing rules and totally works well. I liked it so much I bought a second while it was heading into Clearance.

Just watched a few videos.  I would have loved this as a kid!

The driving assist reminds me of the Amico player assist for newer / less skilled players.

This could have made a great TRON version.  Light Cycles and whatever that car was in legacy.

Can you combine tracks from the 2 sets? 

41 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

Just watched a few videos.  I would have loved this as a kid!

The driving assist reminds me of the Amico player assist for newer / less skilled players.

This could have made a great TRON version.  Light Cycles and whatever that car was in legacy.

Can you combine tracks from the 2 sets? 

Yeah that is why I bought it, to combine the tracks in addition to getting two more cars (up to four can run at the same time without problems).

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:21 AM, Downland1983 said:

Over 90 million people have bought a Switch so far, a console that often times has not been able to ship enough to meet its demand 4 years after launch.  But, those sales must all be to "Nintendo fans", because no one else outside of the Nintendo fanbase sees the Switch as "something interesting".

Please, avoid using straw men. In my previous post, my argument was based on the hypothesis that 20 million casual gamers bought a Switch (even if I believe it is in reality much lower than that).

Okay...  I guess that's why the Gamecube and Wii U sold like gangbusters, because of that 90m+ bulwark of Nintendo fans who buy anything with Nintendo's logo on it...

The 89 million Switch and Switch lite sold are not just the replacement for the Wii U, they are also the replacement for the DS family. In total, the DS family (including the original DS) has sold 154 million units.

You frequent a retro enthusiast forum, where people still have fun playing their Atari 2600, Intellivisions, and ColecoVisions (among a host of other old consoles), yet you don't understand how anyone could still enjoy playing a game of Monopoly with their family, or Risk with their friends?

First, the retro gaming market is a niche market. Retro consoles are kind of popular, but let's be honest, most people buy this because of nostalgia, not because they really want to play the games that are on it.

Second, even in the 80's, Monopoly and Risk were played almost exclusively by kids. Adults were playing games more like Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit. The trend of the whole family playing board games together really started with the renaissance of board games in the 90's.

Third, while retro games main flaw is graphics, the main flaw in Monopoly and Risk is player elimination. Nothing sucks more than being eliminated and having to wait two hours for the rest of the game to end.

I say that as someone who has been on gaming forums long enough to remember how people were talking about how much the Ouya was going to revolutionize gaming.

I was on BBS forums that talked about games, including board games, in the 80's. I assure you that I saw a lot more "that will revolutionize everything" thing than just the Ouya (and let's be honest, very few people were naive enough to believe the Ouya would be a success).

On 9/27/2021 at 11:21 AM, MattPilz said:

This thread has been completely derailed into obsessive Clubhouse discussion and nitpicking via walls of text.

You are the one who made Clubhouse Games 51 your main point. As for "nitpicking", I don't do that. I just respond to arguments that have some value, nothing more. As for "walls of text", I'm not a 12-year-old anymore. The time when I thought that a 3-page essay for school was a lot of text is now long gone.

Let me be clear. Nintendo certainly has more than enough resources to make high-quality games for the people we now label as "casual gamers". However, the list of games you showed as "proof" of your hypothesis that Nintendo is catering to "casual gamers" were all low-quality games.

Sure, in the case of Clubhouse Games 51, the graphics are good, but other than that, what's the difference between Clubhouse Games 51 and the old Hoyle Classic collections? Other than graphics, what's the difference between Clubhouse Games 51 and all the "classic games" that were included in shareware CD compilation?

Gaming has evolved since the 90's. Even very simple games, like match-3 games or solitaire, now include several reward systems. From a game development point of view, these reward systems are more important than the "main" game itself. The people we refer as "casual gamers" now expect these reward systems.

If Clubhouse Games 51 had been released in 1995, then I would have been the first one to say that it's a great collection of games. However, we are not in 1995 anymore. "Casual gamers" expect to have games that are at least the same quality as those they have on their mobile devices. That's not the case for Clubhouse Games 51.

I don't believe Nintendo is incompetent. I'm certain that if Nintendo truly wanted to make appealing games for "casual gamers", and then create a marketing campaign to reach these "casual gamers", then they would... and they would succeed. However, it seems obvious to me that Nintendo doesn't want its customers to see the Switch as a system for "casual gamers". I'm guessing Nintendo is thinking it would hurt its image. I'm guessing Nintendo is thinking that associating the Switch with "casual gaming" would make its current customer base flee toward Sony and Microsoft.

I don't know what was Nintendo's goal with Clubhouse Games 51, but I can certainly make a hypothesis...

I imagine that Clubhouse Games 51 was mainly a marketing tool. It was a message to those parents and grandparents. The message was : "Do you remember these classic games you played when you were kids in the 70's? Well, now you can buy a Switch for your kids and grandkids so they can play the same great game as you did in the past."

Of course, kids today are far more interested to play games like Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros than they are to play the old games in Clubhouse Games 51. So once they have the Switch, they'll ask for Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

To me, that's the idea behind Clubhouse Games 51.

And yes, that's just something I imagine. I know most of the anti-Amico crowd here will do the same as you did and claim that these classics are super fun games that everyone enjoys playing every weekend. I mean who here doesn't play backgammon or checkers every weekend? Right? /sarcasm

On 9/27/2021 at 11:40 AM, Rev said:

Hey Papy, try not having a wall of text its horrible to scroll through.    But you already knew that.

And yet, you felt the need to quote the whole thing only to post one sentence.

On 9/27/2021 at 2:21 PM, youxia said:

One of the funniest thing about your posts is the insistence on trying to act as a hardcore logicbro, and invoke all these fancy-sounding constructs, such as non sequiturs, strawmen, fallacies, etc, etc. This style was kinda amusing about 10 years ago, but is rather tiresome now, because most people who use it - yourself included - fail completely 9/10 times.

I'm not going to launch into a page long tedious quote-by-quote reply pointing out all your absurdisms, so just picked the above  one randomly.

-it's not "3 people", it's a list of some of the most popular casual games out there. And there's much, much more.

-these games are vastly superior to Amico's current lineup.

-the conclusion: most casual gamers won't be interested in Amico's games

Obviously, you don't only have a problem with reasoning, but you also have a problem with both reading comprehension and expression.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow...a lot went on here since I was last in. I can't even read the majority of this.

Is it me, or does the Amico somehow attract the crazies for and against it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 9/27/2021 at 7:05 PM, godslabrat said:

None of that answers the question of "Are they done?".  This is something Intellivision should really focus on to build confidence.

The CFO also said "it's ten or teens", and that was over two months ago.  He also said people are finding ways to improve games, a "benefit of the delay".  So like people here are advising we are talking about versions of software; same thing applies to the OS.  On release you are seeing a version of the software.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ashtonm said:

Wow...a lot went on here since I was last in. I can't even read the majority of this.

Lots of mention about straw men, it seems. Guess that showed up as some "word of the day" or something

6 hours ago, ashtonm said:

Is it me, or does the Amico somehow attract the crazies for and against it?

Little column A, little column B, lol

• Haha 1

You know whats worse than all the pro and “con” talk about amico?

No one talking about it at all. 😉

No such thing as bad publicity. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Papy said:

I imagine that Clubhouse Games 51 was mainly a marketing tool. It was a message to those parents and grandparents. The message was : "Do you remember these classic games you played when you were kids in the 70's? Well, now you can buy a Switch for your kids and grandkids so they can play the same great game as you did in the past."

Of course, kids today are far more interested to play games like Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros than they are to play the old games in Clubhouse Games 51. So once they have the Switch, they'll ask for Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

Then your argument confuses me, because isn't this the same pitch Amico is using?  Their focus in their media has been Farkle, Astrosmash, Shark Shark, Moon Patrol . . .  it seems identical to the strategy you are positing for the Switch, but in the Amico's case will lead to billions of casuals picking it up, but none of them care about the Switch?  I am not saying Amico is wrong with this approach, by the by, I'm just trying to clarify your point here.  I feel like you are either misunderstanding Amico's intent or just trying to brush off Nintendo's success.  To say 90 million consoles is not that big of a deal, compared to a system that hasn't actually launched yet, is a pretty bold bit of hand wavery.  I think if Amico sold 500K to 1 million, they should be happy, and proud of their success- I think that'd be great, and would be far more than the Ouya and VCS did.  To assume they'll sell astronomical numbers doesn't seem to align with reality.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Rev said:

I don't know,  it will be helpful to have more good than bad. There's a lot of work needed to change public perception.  

26 minutes ago, Rev said:

yeah- for all the heat that the Amico gets, they don't want their forums to be like the VCS space right now, haha.

1 hour ago, jerseystyle said:

yeah- for all the heat that the Amico gets, they don't want their forums to be like the VCS space right now, haha.

I'm not in the loop.  What's that space like?

48 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I'm not in the loop.  What's that space like?

very quiet.  Periodic updates to the game release list but that's about it.  

I’m still anxiously awaiting the console and would like to see more updates as well but this is a trying time for many things not just video game consoles. I’m also waiting on my Evercade VS founders edition to go along with my Amico founders edition. Good things come to people who wait. 

• Like 1

Nick Richards confirmed not shipping in 2021. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 10:04 AM, Rev said:

Where did he say that?  It's not in his update note you posted in your other thread.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

Where did he say that?  It's not in his update note you posted in your other thread.

yes it is, reread it

• Thanks 1

It says the ones manufactured overseas could start arriving in later 2022Q1.  For the ones made in the US it just says their current plan is to start a run by the end of the year.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, mr_me said:

It says the ones manufactured overseas could start arriving in later 2022Q1.  For the ones made in the US it just says their current plan is to start a run by the end of the year.

There ya go. 

• Haha 1

So, hypothetically, they make some Amicos the week of Dec 22, deliver to IE warehouse January 2, IE ships to first customer January 3rd, 2022.  If they start one week earlier ...

The delay email says: “determined to deliver pre ordered units by the end of the year”

The recent quote from Intellivision CFO: “start a run by the end of the year”

If you “START a run” of consoles being assembled or manufactured by the end of the year, its just that, STARTING. 

Lets revisit this on December 31. Nothing left to say at the moment in time. 

642BDD3F-531E-4F91-A681-0B9FE753EE5A.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rev said:

The delay email says: “determined to deliver pre ordered units by the end of the year”

This email is why I pre-ordered an Amico (I pre-ordered on August 9th). I didn't want to pre-order without knowing the shipping cost, but I did it anyway because I thought it was my only chance to have an Amico for Christmas. I imagine I should be angry that it won't happen.

So this Christmas, we'll be like the last one. We'll play some board games. My sister and my mother will be already stressed out because of the holidays and instead of just having fun with whatever they have, they will argue to decide which board games we will play... with the "loser" being somewhat upset she didn't play the one she wanted. My niece will quickly get bored and will want to play with her iPad. The result is we will stop playing games, my mother and my sister will just want to talk and then it's me who'll get bored.

So, yeah, I should be angry!

I guess you will be disappointed, but I'm not angry at all that Intellivision couldn't do it despite their best efforts. In fact, I'm pretty sure the people at Intellivision are the ones who got angry that they couldn't do it.

There's even something good out of this final delay. Last year I ordered from China two STM32 microcontrollers (a blue pill and a black pill), a 3.5" touch screen and a bunch of sensors. I like ARM assembly and I wanted to have fun programing these little things. Unfortunately, I received them only after the holidays, so they ended up in a drawer. Well, this is what I will do this year and I'll play with the Amico next year.

See? It's pointless to try to bitch about this final delay.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:04 AM, Rev said:

Still doesn't say this.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Still doesn't say this.

just stop

• Thanks 1