Rev

Will Amico launch holiday 2021?

On 10/3/2021 at 10:04 AM, Rev said:

Nick Richards confirmed not shipping in 2021. 

According to what's been said they can start production anytime in December, even November.  Things don't always go as planned but nothing has been excluded.  Even if they start production December 31st, they would only miss shipping in 2021 by a few days.  I'm more concerned about ramping up overseas production in 2022Q1.

Edited by mr_me
  • Confused 1

As I said, lets revisit this on December 31.   Time goes quick, 2022 will be here before you know it. 

• Like 1

I had a very similar conversation with the kids over the weekend.  They wanted to go outside and play with a Nerf football.

Me – It’s raining really hard out there.

Kid A – Daddy said it was wet outside.

Kid B – That’s not what he said! 

Me – Um… it’s raining pretty hard.  Pouring, really.

Kid A – See! It's wet outside!

Kid B – Still not what he said!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Whatever happens in the future, that comment from the COO does not exclude shipping in 2021.

• Confused 3

FEB8AB79-47FE-4B86-83B6-65D2F20F23DC.thumb.jpeg.d40f516263e2fa8766f0615f3e8df8d1.jpeg

“Our current plan is to START a limited production run here in the US by the end of the year”

——-

I applaud anyone that actually believes a console will START production by the end of the year, and then try to ship *probably* in December, a very busy shipping season, even slower due the worldwide pandemic. 

And then to be in anyones hands by Dec 31.   

Hey, I hope they do pull it off. 

Edited by Rev
  • Like 2

That all depends when they start production.

To ship in 2021 it has to be in the shipper's hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rev said:

FEB8AB79-47FE-4B86-83B6-65D2F20F23DC.thumb.jpeg.d40f516263e2fa8766f0615f3e8df8d1.jpeg

“Our current plan is to START a limited production run here in the US by the end of the year”

——-

I applaud anyone that actually believes a console will START production by the end of the year, and then try to ship *probably* in December, a very busy shipping season, even slower due the worldwide pandemic. 

And then to be in anyones hands by Dec 31.   

Hey, I hope they do pull it off. 

Exactly. Just ain't gonna happen.

The pre-orders will ship in Q1, best case. And best case is usually not the case.

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

That all depends when they start production.

To ship in 2021 it has to be in the shipper's hands.

Production is planned to start by the end of the year. 

The question of this thread is pertaining to the launch date. Not the ship date.   It can be manufactured and ship in october, november or december…. but if its not in customers hands before Jan 1, it hasnt launched during holiday 2021. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mr_me said:

Still doesn't say this.

15 hours ago, Rev said:

just stop

mr_me, for once I agree with Rev. Don't feed the trolls.

7 minutes ago, Papy said:

mr_me, for once I agree with Rev. Don't feed the trolls.

Its not agreeing with me actually, I was only quoting official statements from I.E.      But thanks.    Now I wonder what you DONT agree with me on?!!??      My wall of text comments?   

p.s.   Mr me means well, but I dont think hes a troll!  That was a tad harsh Papy…..I believe he genuinely likes Amico. 

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rev said:

Its not agreeing with me actually

LOL I know. I was just trying to be funny.

28 minutes ago, Rev said:

p.s.   Mr me means well, but I dont think hes a troll!  That was a tad harsh Papy…..I believe he genuinely likes Amico. 

I see you are also trying to be funny!

11 hours ago, Rev said:

Production is planned to start by the end of the year. 

The question of this thread is pertaining to the launch date. Not the ship date.   It can be manufactured and ship in october, november or december…. but if its not in customers hands before Jan 1, it hasnt launched during holiday 2021. 

What if they built them in the post office, smarty pants ? 🧐

6 hours ago, Rev said:

..., I was only quoting official statements from I.E.    ...

This isn't correct.  Not only that, nothing the CFO said rules out delivery in 2021, it might be unlikely, but not ruled out, no different than before his comment.  Starting production by the end of the year doesn't mean at the end of the year.  Besides, the difference between shipping to a customer and delivery is a few days, it's not significant.  If I had an Amico pre-ordered, I'd be pleased just to hear they've gone into production.

• Like 1

These quotes from Intellivision Entertainmnt spokeman speak for themselves, straight from the source. 

Thanks Tommy and Nick for keeping us informed. 

1EA901F4-881D-46D5-BED9-010530F48493.jpeg

3BE548B4-75F0-4FC0-821D-FB0235790990.jpeg

• Like 1

Quoting the CFO would have been better than saying this.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:04 AM, Rev said:

Nick Richards confirmed not shipping in 2021. 

When he said this:

On 10/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, mr_me said:

It says the ones manufactured overseas could start arriving in later 2022Q1.  For the ones made in the US it just says their current plan is to start a run by the end of the year.

7 hours ago, cmart604 said:

What if they built them in the post office, smarty pants ? 🧐

I'm sure some fans would LOVE to buy an Amico kit, and assemble it themselves, just like this.
Obviously, the first-adopters will be enthusiasts anyway, and some probably ordered several.

After all, Intellivision already showed a top-down video of the Amico being assembled by hand!
On that video, the motherboard was clearly had the chips already mounted, so it may be easy.

The Sinclair ZX81 was sold either as a kit, or as an assembled product, in the UK, back in 1981.
I found out there's a time-lapse video of an original 1981 kit being assembled, just 5 years ago.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, justclaws said:

I'm sure some fans would LOVE to buy an Amico kit, and assemble it themselves, just like this.
Obviously, the first-adopters will be enthusiasts anyway, and some probably ordered several.

After all, Intellivision already showed a top-down video of the Amico being assembled by hand!
On that video, the motherboard was clearly had the chips already mounted, so it may be easy.

The Sinclair ZX81 was sold either as a kit, or as an assembled product, in the UK, back in 1981.
I found out there's a time-lapse video of an original 1981 kit being assembled, just 5 years ago.

Because of many components being tiny, soldering now requires a lot more expertise than in 1981. People who do not do this regularly will most probably end up with a non-working console (either because of bad soldering or burnt components), particularly considering the number of components used in an Amico.

5 hours ago, Papy said:

Because of many components being tiny, soldering now requires a lot more expertise than in 1981. People who do not do this regularly will most probably end up with a non-working console (either because of bad soldering or burnt components), particularly considering the number of components used in an Amico.

Firstly, of course I realise most users couldn't solder all the tiny surface-mount components easily! :-D 
Secondly, I really do think some fans would love to buy a kit, to assemble it - wouldn't you if you could?
Thirdly, I thought some antique users like me (and retro fans) would enjoy just watching the time-lapse!

Amico: over 700 components, and ~100 electronic; the main board should obviously come pre-populated. 🙂
Of course, there's a risk, but that's part of the excitement for some. One-up from just transparent cases,
but imagine, (because imagination is allowed here, eh?) that an Amico kit comes with a transparent case!
https://stemgeek.com/best-build-your-own-computer-kits-kids-adults/

There are lots of people buying kits for electronics these days; people love kits, even with 10,000 pieces!
https://www.banggood.com/IOT-Training-Kit-Environment-Sensor-Set-Encoder-Industrial-Application-Demoboard-Development-Board-p-1560210.html

In the video of the Amico assembly, there was not any soldering that I saw, so for fans, I think it's doable.
I'm not suggesting it as an alternative to manufacturing - just, it would be a fun option for some!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, justclaws said:

Firstly, of course I realise most users couldn't solder all the tiny surface-mount components easily! :-D 
Secondly, I really do think some fans would love to buy a kit, to assemble it - wouldn't you if you could?
Thirdly, I thought some antique users like me (and retro fans) would enjoy just watching the time-lapse!

Oops! I'm sorry. I misinterpreted your comment. I imagined you meant that receiving all the parts and then soldering and assembling everything (like with the ZX81 kit) was a viable solution in order to have an Amico faster.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Papy said:

Oops! I'm sorry. I misinterpreted your comment. I imagined you meant that receiving all the parts and then soldering and assembling everything (like with the ZX81 kit) was a viable solution in order to have an Amico faster.

Amico assembly could ALSO be fun for all the family, and imagine Youtube hits! :-D 
"Wouldn't that be a thing?" Ha ha!

This is so cool. Imagine an Amico coming to life as we watch. (Yes, not soldering.)

However, all these time-lapse videos are pretty cool, like the Amico ones!

Are the UI, firmware, and pack in games ready? 

Production hasn't even started much less shipping. 

I'd be surprised if even the limited amount reach anyone's hands by q2 2022. There's a lot of vague maybes and no concrete plans.  Evercade VS got delayed to q1 2022 in the US and they had already manufactured everything and software side was 100% ready. 

Until Amico has a detailed message of everything locked down and planned for an exact time line I won't trust that anything is even nearly ready.  The fact that Tommy will still post detailed rants about the "haters" yet have no concrete details on production is very telling. 

• Like 1

I just received an e-mail that the Evercade VS. has been delayed till who knows when,due to the shipping and port crisis alone. 

If you add the chip shortage problem on top of that for the Amico,its making EVERYTHING difficult to manufacture and get anything to anyone in a timely fashion. 

It's a really bad and very real situation which sucks for everybody. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I just received an e-mail that the Evercade VS. has been delayed till who knows when,due to the shipping and port crisis alone. 

If you add the chip shortage problem on top of that for the Amico,its making EVERYTHING difficult to manufacture and get anything to anyone in a timely fashion. 

It's a really bad and very real situation which sucks for everybody. 

Evercade actually has a very detailed blog post on their site detailing the exact situation and timeline of shipping 

• Thanks 3