Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Amico roadshow tour - Salt Lake City

This is the next logical stop in the nationwide roadshow.   

If it does happen in this city, whos going!? ¬† ūüėÄ

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I could drop by, if it happens and I can find the time.

Hopefully they give you more than the day before to make plans.

Whoever attends the Salt Lake City event post REAL videos and pics.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rev said:

As opposed to tasteful nudes and Brony pics? ūüėā

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

As opposed to tasteful nudes and Brony pics? ūüėā

You have some interesting hobbies.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Rev said:

You have some interesting hobbies.

I curse you for getting me involved in them. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rev said:

Why do you even have to mention this?  Have there been fake videos or pics posted on AA?

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

Why do you even have to mention this?  Have there been fake videos or pics posted on AA?

By ‚Äėreal‚Äô I wasnt referring to fake. It means not the tv commercial highly edited flashy style.¬†

How about some cell phone videos of people standing there filming each other playing. Unedited for 5 to 10 minutes.is that too much to ask? I answered my own question.

• Like 3

I will say the "Boomers" event didn't have many cellphone videos if any.  Kind of strange considering this was a Cali event which was on Amico's home turf.  Will have to check out the official video but the lack of others is kind of a red flag...

2 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

I will say the "Boomers" event didn't have many cellphone videos if any.  Kind of strange considering this was a Cali event which was on Amico's home turf.  Will have to check out the official video but the lack of others is kind of a red flag...

I would just rather see organic videos than the other type with zero substance. 

I suspect it's possible that folks have stopped posting videos from these events as they keep getting attacked as shills by a bunch of assholes online. I'm sure it's not fun to post a video of something you're excited about and then have people come into your comments section on YouTube and say horrible things to you. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, cmart604 said:

I suspect it's possible that folks have stopped posting videos from these events as they keep getting attacked as shills by a bunch of assholes online. I'm sure it's not fun to post a video of something you're excited about and then have people come into your comments section on YouTube and say horrible things to you. 

Unfortunately we were told that by a number of people at our last event in Irvine, CA.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 1stplayertokens said:

i believe there were forms people had to sign saying no video so that's why we didnt see any

That was incorrect info that was put out there.

The forms were video release forms so that Intellivision could film people playing.  There were zero restrictions on others filming.

If folks are interested in what others filmed at our live events there is literally around 4 or 5 hours of live streams from Crayola and over a dozen different people uploading tons of live footage.

• Like 2

Mr Beefy is just excited to get his hands on the physical games mentioned in that link! 

3B7CEFE2-FFDA-42E7-8A20-A07660AD9E9F.jpeg

Edited by Rev
  • Haha 1

Whos going here?

88591E00-127A-4F9C-B971-F320904C065D.jpeg

Just got back from the event; Took my 5 year old daughter (her favorite game was Shark Shark, in case anyone is curious). 

20211002_105905.jpg

The biggest question in the air for me was the controller. They are lightweight and easy to use; the disc threw me off for a second when I played Astrosmash (first game), but once I got the hang of it, it was just fine. My daughter didn't have any complaints about the controller either, and she has no filter when it comes to telling me what she thinks :P

20211002_113111.jpg

We played Astrosmash, Shark Shark, Evil Knievel, Moon Patrol, & Flying Tigers. The latter two weren't on display, but Tommy was kind enough to show them off to me after asking. Also keep in mind that apart from the classic gamer in me, I approach a lot of these games with an arcade player mentality, so take that for what you will; I also never have played an original INTV, I grew up with the 2600 (and the TI 99/4A :P ) and everyone on my street either had an Atari, an NES or the Master System. I did capture some video, will see about posting later to my Arcade Heroes channel, although I'm working my arcade today, so I probably won't be able to film commentary for it until tomorrow or Monday.

Until then:

Astrosmash - Playing Astrosmash with my daughter was a little more fun than alone, although I was surprised by how long level 1 was (she joined at the very end after we got a 2nd controller). I haven't played the 2600 version in ages so can't really remember it, but it's a fun little single-screen shmup. The power-ups offer that nice touch and it looks good in person. Yeah, it's not going to look like a PS5 game, but there wasn't any slowdown and I didn't notice input lag (one thing I was concerned about going into it).

Shark Shark - I never played the original, but did play the 2600 homebrew Go Fish! which is just like it. We had fun with this one, particularly my daughter.  Eat the small fish to grow. With 4 players, I was also surprised by the length of the levels here, I guess I was expecting something along the length lines of an arcade game. The fish animations are cool and it's fun. With pacing tweaks, this kind of game could do fine in a modern arcade environment.

Evil Knievel - I hadn't seen much about this one prior, played both multiplayer (rocket darts) and single player modes. My daughter beat Tommy and myself in one of the rocket dart sets, so that's a great multiplayer game. The single player is fun and it gets challenging about the 3rd level. It's cool that it follows different feats of EK himself, where you're doing daredevil stuff. You have to use the tilt controller to properly angle your bike, and there's some fun crunches that can happen when you screw up (like Dragon's Lair, you might have fun just seeing different ways to crash and crumple your guy). My only gripes about it is that it could use more rumble in the controller, or maybe with the volume higher that would help the feel of the bike, as I wasn't always able to get the "feel" for the speed. 

Moon Patrol - As mentioned, this wasn't setup for the event, so it's early, but outside of it being set to German and some placeholder text, the game itself nailed the feeling and gameplay of Moon Patrol, while building on it. It's too bad that the volume on the TV had to be low, but I could kind of hear the iconic tune. Out of what I played, this was my personal fav, and like Shark Shark, it could become a modern arcade game with a few tweaks.

I only played single player, but it does have Versus mode; It also handles up to four players, although not sure if that's a kind of co-op mode. They've also added a number of new moons from around the solar system, while taking liberties with them in adding alien stuff on occasion. You can jump using the top left button or the touchscreen, otherwise, you have to be careful on your timing, just like in the original arcade version. One nice thing is that if you make it mostly over a rock, but say your rear tire lands on it, you'll not explode, so it's slightly more forgiving - but it's still got plenty in it where you have to manage your speed to make jumps. A young girl watching me play was really interested in it too, said it looked really cool. Again, it's not a graphics showcase (although there are some nice special fx here and there), but since the gameplay is intact, I'm just fine with it.

Flying Tigers - I hadn't really heard anything about this one, which is a vertical scrolling shmup in the vein of some classic Toaplan arcade shooters. That said, I wasn't expecting the euro-shmup style enemies (in that ones you would expect to be fodder planes take multiple hits - personal preference, I'd prefer enemies like that to be 1-hit deals, while larger planes could be multi-hits). Interestingly or oddly enough, firing with the touchscreen was faster than the button. The touchscreen also had a meter that when built can activate a screen clearing bomb. I did get to the final boss, but I was a little distracted while playing (my daughter was getting insistent about leaving, as she was hungry), so I didn't give this my A game. A nice touch was the "Old TV" filter to give it some old school look, but this can be shut off; There are six different planes with unique shots and abilities, and this can be played by 2 people.

Emoji Charades and a pool/billiards game were also on display, but I didn't get a chance to try them as they were being played the whole time. I also didn't get to see any physical media, as I was distracted with other things and forgot to ask

All-in-all, I'd give it a thumbs up. It's all more compelling to me than the VCS, and everything I played was fun. The more unique games they bring along for it the merrier; I would have loved to play Cloudy Mountain or Breakout, but I didn't have time to ask about those. Will I get one? I'm certainly leaning much more on yes now, whereas before I was just on the fence.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Just got back from the event; Took my 5 year old daughter (her favorite game was Shark Shark, in case anyone is curious). 

20211002_105905.jpg

The biggest question in the air for me was the controller. They are lightweight and easy to use; the disc threw me off for a second when I played Astrosmash (first game), but once I got the hang of it, it was just fine. My daughter didn't have any complaints about the controller either, and she has no filter when it comes to telling me what she thinks :P

20211002_113111.jpg

We played Astrosmash, Shark Shark, Evil Knievel, Moon Patrol, & Flying Tigers. The latter two weren't on display, but Tommy was kind enough to show them off to me after asking. Also keep in mind that apart from the classic gamer in me, I approach a lot of these games with an arcade player mentality, so take that for what you will; I also never have played an original INTV, I grew up with the 2600 (and the TI 99/4A :P ) and everyone on my street either had an Atari, an NES or the Master System. I did capture some video, will see about posting later to my Arcade Heroes channel, although I'm working my arcade today, so I probably won't be able to film commentary for it until tomorrow or Monday.

Until then:

Astrosmash - Playing Astrosmash with my daughter was a little more fun than alone, although I was surprised by how long level 1 was (she joined at the very end after we got a 2nd controller). I haven't played the 2600 version in ages so can't really remember it, but it's a fun little single-screen shmup. The power-ups offer that nice touch and it looks good in person. Yeah, it's not going to look like a PS5 game, but there wasn't any slowdown and I didn't notice input lag (one thing I was concerned about going into it).

Shark Shark - I never played the original, but did play the 2600 homebrew Go Fish! which is just like it. We had fun with this one, particularly my daughter.  Eat the small fish to grow. With 4 players, I was also surprised by the length of the levels here, I guess I was expecting something along the length lines of an arcade game. The fish animations are cool and it's fun. With pacing tweaks, this kind of game could do fine in a modern arcade environment.

Evil Knievel - I hadn't seen much about this one prior, played both multiplayer (rocket darts) and single player modes. My daughter beat Tommy and myself in one of the rocket dart sets, so that's a great multiplayer game. The single player is fun and it gets challenging about the 3rd level. It's cool that it follows different feats of EK himself, where you're doing daredevil stuff. You have to use the tilt controller to properly angle your bike, and there's some fun crunches that can happen when you screw up (like Dragon's Lair, you might have fun just seeing different ways to crash and crumple your guy). My only gripes about it is that it could use more rumble in the controller, or maybe with the volume higher that would help the feel of the bike, as I wasn't always able to get the "feel" for the speed. 

Moon Patrol - As mentioned, this wasn't setup for the event, so it's early, but outside of it being set to German and some placeholder text, the game itself nailed the feeling and gameplay of Moon Patrol, while building on it. It's too bad that the volume on the TV had to be low, but I could kind of hear the iconic tune. Out of what I played, this was my personal fav, and like Shark Shark, it could become a modern arcade game with a few tweaks.

I only played single player, but it does have Versus mode; It also handles up to four players, although not sure if that's a kind of co-op mode. They've also added a number of new moons from around the solar system, while taking liberties with them in adding alien stuff on occasion. You can jump using the top left button or the touchscreen, otherwise, you have to be careful on your timing, just like in the original arcade version. One nice thing is that if you make it mostly over a rock, but say your rear tire lands on it, you'll not explode, so it's slightly more forgiving - but it's still got plenty in it where you have to manage your speed to make jumps. A young girl watching me play was really interested in it too, said it looked really cool. Again, it's not a graphics showcase (although there are some nice special fx here and there), but since the gameplay is intact, I'm just fine with it.

Flying Tigers - I hadn't really heard anything about this one, which is a vertical scrolling shmup in the vein of some classic Toaplan arcade shooters. That said, I wasn't expecting the euro-shmup style enemies (in that ones you would expect to be fodder planes take multiple hits - personal preference, I'd prefer enemies like that to be 1-hit deals, while larger planes could be multi-hits). Interestingly or oddly enough, firing with the touchscreen was faster than the button. The touchscreen also had a meter that when built can activate a screen clearing bomb. I did get to the final boss, but I was a little distracted while playing (my daughter was getting insistent about leaving, as she was hungry), so I didn't give this my A game. A nice touch was the "Old TV" filter to give it some old school look, but this can be shut off; There are six different planes with unique shots and abilities, and this can be played by 2 people.

Emoji Charades and a pool/billiards game were also on display, but I didn't get a chance to try them as they were being played the whole time. I also didn't get to see any physical media, as I was distracted with other things and forgot to ask

All-in-all, I'd give it a thumbs up. It's all more compelling to me than the VCS, and everything I played was fun. The more unique games they bring along for it the merrier; I would have loved to play Cloudy Mountain or Breakout, but I didn't have time to ask about those. Will I get one? I'm certainly leaning much more on yes now, whereas before I was just on the fence.

Thanks for the impressions! It sounds like Shark Shark us THE kid favorite type of game. At least out of what they've been showing off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Thanks for the impressions! It sounds like Shark Shark us THE kid favorite type of game. At least out of what they've been showing off.

Yeah definitely. That one was probably the most played game while I was there, and it was mostly kids enjoying it.

I did want to give the billiards game a shot as it looked interesting, but there were a couple of teenage girls who were really into it and were playing it the whole time. 

One thing to note for people that aren't familiar with the area - Utah is known for big families and lots of kids; Where this event was held is kind of in the center of all that along with it being the area known as "Silicon Slopes." Lots of tech/big tech Silicon Valley companies are setup in Lehi; Then it was held in a kids museum, which is pretty much just a giant indoor playground with ropes courses and the like. There were some people there who knew what the Amico was in advance, but I think a few were discovering it for the first time.

• Like 2

I see they got the GTO Red one there.

How was the build quality of the controller? Does it got any weight/heft to it, or is it pretty light?

• Like 2