IGNORED

130XE brought back from the dead - Advice re glitching display

Beeblebrox

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Ahhh as of yesterday I got me on order one of those units TGB1718 recommended earlier in this thread. Also ordered a replacement multimeter, one that hopefully won't die on me!! ?

I can't recommend Fluke multimeters highly enough. I've used them for going on 40 years and they are great. They do have many higher end, more expensive models, but they have some cheaper, lower end models. I'd only use a higher end model like a Fluke 87V at work, where we deal with 480V three-phase voltage on a daily basis, but a Fluke model 113-115 is great for bench use. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of other decent multimeters out there, and if you're only using it on a work bench for checking continuity and DC voltages, I guess just about any no-name cheap meter will do, but if you want top quality and you ever work with anything else around the house, you can't go wrong with a Fluke 100 series multimeter.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Have to agree 100% there, I'm using the same one since about 1989, never needed any calibration adjustment

in all those years, every time I check it's still in spec. :) 

I used to work as a production test tech at Fluke, so I was able to get a 289 and an 87 for cheap.  Oddly enough though, is the higher quality DMMs I've noticed, don't have transistor test modes, though the real cheap harbor freight ones do.  I could only hazard a guess as to why..

1 hour ago, ClausB said:

Congrats on the repair!

For your next challenge, fix that donor board.

@ClausB - Thanks.:) Very pleased with the outcome. It seems to be happy. Plus I've been bleaching the case in the sun also and the horrible grey green shade is definitely disappearing. :thumbsup: The keyboard has a new dual mylar (courtesy of Simius:thumbsup:)

Ahhh the 130XE donor board is definitely not worth a salvage attempt.  It's in a right state! :o Almost all the 40pin chips have been removed and a lot of the smaller chips.

It was a board I'd clearly "attempted" to do some solder work on in the 90s and completely screwed up. Some traces have been ripped up, burn marks in places and some truley atrocious soldering skills at the time ,etc.8)

Still a lot of the connectors and the passive components look useable so I'll keep it as the only donor board I have should I need to use it for fixing all my other A8s.

Actually it's great as a reference board as the chips are off and you can use it alongside silkscreen and circuit schematics which helped me no end fixing the 130XE which has the same revision PCB.:)

Edited by Beeblebrox