IGNORED

TI99/4a Lot, ebay, Why So Much?

onlyinajeep

On 9/25/2021 at 4:36 AM, oddemann said:

Norway... Bid war for a TI with a game and M. Memory!

So fare it is at $116, I think that this is the top.

https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=218829470

NOW it is at $188 and I think this is a "made by the seller" storm. Seller is trying it all. He had set the price to $582 at one point. It started out at $290. He think that this is gold ? hehehehe I am pretty sure it is the seller making storm in a glass, as only 2 are interested in the computer.

• Sad 1

Crap like this chaps my hide. ?  Bad VDP RAM, does not respond to a key-press, missing trim, no cables (including power suppy,) and so much more wrong, asking $50 OBO.

Hell nah.  At most, $10 plus shipping, at best just pay shipping.  I simply cannot accept anyone believes something like this is worth as much as they ask.

EDIT: OOOoooohhhh this is the same guy posting other garbage consoles in the $50 range.

1932474492_Screenshot-2021-10-2VintageTexasInstrumentsTI-994AComputerConsolePHC004APowersOn(21-227)33317010011eBay.thumb.png.5ae7b9ed653c584d449da63d3162b9ae.png

1700386763_Screenshot-2021-10-2VintageTexasInstrumentsTI-994AComputerConsolePHC004APowersOn(21-227)33317010011eBay(1).thumb.png.cfc8beea0d48976ba552c4a370b8fd08.png

• Sad 1

While I agree staying away from ebay is overall a great idea, sometimes it is not possible to get something such as a Ti99/4A outside of ebay. Unless of course you wait some time and one shows up here. 

But, I find the best luck on an "untested" system is to find a seller that is selling it complete in box if possible and looking like it is in good shape. If that same seller is also selling items that have nothing to do with computers (ie: stamps, old table lamps, tools, etc) there is a really good chance it is just someone who really just has no idea how to test it and just found it in storage or at an estate sale.

I have followed this method of thought when seeking vintage computers on ebay over the years and I do not think I ever got one that did not completely work. I mean, maybe needed some TLC in some way, but they were never damaged in any way by the user....and I always got them to work.

I may just be lucky tho ;)

• Like 2

Ok. Yes I'm a little exaggerated probably. But I'm sick of the games of, it's free, just pay the$200 shipping, you know what I mean..

I don't think ebay is going anywhere or even cares about us. They've actually gotten rid of talking to us altogether by voice. No matter what the issue is.

I won't give them my money

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, mitch__uk said:

So as someone looking to purchase a 99/4a where is the best place to look if not Ebay - I'm in the Uk if that makes any difference?

eBay is not a terrible place to look, just so long as you know what you are getting.  Value is the problem.  Standard caveats to purchasing apply.  If you are not certain about what you see, ask someone who knows better (like here, or a local group.)  Craigslist is another option (not sure if you have that on your side of the Pond.)  AtariAge has a marketplace including a "wanted to buy" section.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mitch__uk said:

This is the only one I can see in the UK on Ebay - what you think to this?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115052707841?hash=item1ac9ad0001:g:6I4AAOSwqi1hbbwu

I would not pay £145.00 for that.  I do not think it being PAL makes it any more special than one of ours.  If that is the only one listed on eBay UK, maybe there is an availability factor here.

Can anyone else in that zone throw in on this?

9 hours ago, mitch__uk said:

This is the only one I can see in the UK on Ebay - what you think to this?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115052707841?hash=item1ac9ad0001:g:6I4AAOSwqi1hbbwu

I would message the seller and ask could you make a best offer. I'm from the UK I certainly would not pay £145. Unfortunately I don't have a spare at this time. Sold a mint working ti few months back for £80 including shipping. 

1 hour ago, Andrewmacattack said:

I would message the seller and ask could you make a best offer. I'm from the UK I certainly would not pay £145. Unfortunately I don't have a spare at this time. Sold a mint working ti few months back for £80 including shipping. 

Good idea.  I'll do that - similar price to yours or cheaper?

On 10/24/2021 at 5:26 PM, mnbvcxz said:

I bought both my consoles for around £25 each a few years back and would not pay much more now.

I paid £140 to  £180 for a PEB with 1 drive installed so wait to get it at the right price.

An emulator is free.

Good prices those - I made the guy an offer of £75 but he declined. ☹️