IGNORED

Game of the Bear.

vhzc

Hi guys!

I want to show a new game I am working in.

It is a platformer called Game of the Bear. I wrote it from scratch trying to make a more efficient "engine".

Its mechanics are basic plataform stuff. But since I am making more use of the PFpixels as dynamic elements it has a more puzzley approach.

This is the first demo consisting in just a handful of screen, but it is completely playable. I have tested it on stella and actual hardware and haven't found bugs yet.

As always testing and feedback will be appreciated.

gotb_demo01.bin

QUICK UPDATE:

- Corrects misplaced respawn in screen with the skull.

- Switch reset restart game in end of demo screen.

gotb_demo01b.bin

UPDATE

- 32 screens.

- Some changes in levels and sprites.

- Teleporters.

gotb_demo2.bin

UPDATE

- 42 screens

- Cosmetic changes

- intro "cut scene" ?

gotb_demo3.bin

##############################################################

UPDATE

RELEASE CANDIDATE

-50+ screens

-Boss Battle

-Cosmetic changes

**REMOVED**

##############################################################

UPDATE

RELEASE CANDIDATE 1c

Corrects some misplaced collision detection.

gotb-RC1c.bin <-- CURRENT ROM

1458653901_Capturadepantalla_2021-09-19_23-16-09.thumb.png.f11b95dcaf72fdf3eacc5a86decc24fd.png

956340773_Capturadepantalla_2021-09-19_23-07-58.thumb.png.6b6a87af71fd23a72ba6abc92d8e425f.png

93580760_Capturadepantalla_2021-09-19_23-07-17.thumb.png.d13a73fd826d2166426b37589fd27561.png

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 16

8 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

I really enjoy the animations and the levels. This plays really well. I always wondered about a more dynamic physics.

What makes this engine different from your others?

It uses more collision boxes and coordinates than hardware collision registers to check interaction between players, missile and ball for more precise collision detection. Also The playfields are "created" on the fly through data and pfvars instead of pf definitions. That save some space because I have to only define the pfvars that I am actually using.

Also I wrote the playfield/player collision routine (with pfread and such) as a function with more flexible access, so it now can handle different sizes sprites just changing the function parameters.

• Like 3

Super fun game vhzc! I love the new interactive objects in the game that you have to move around to solve certain level puzzles. As always there are the great hallmarks of a vhzc game with the backtracking, pong-like obstacles, button pushing, lightning, etc! Awesome stuff!

- James

image.png

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Super fun game vhzc! I love the new interactive objects in the game that you have to move around to solve certain level puzzles. As always there are the great hallmarks of a vhzc game with the backtracking, pong-like obstacles, button pushing, lightning, etc! Awesome stuff!

- James

image.png

Thanks! I will be releasing  next beta really soon.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, vhzc said:

UPDATE

- 32 screens.

- Some changes in levels and sprites.

- Teleporters.

Already beaten (using Stella rewinds :) ). I really like your games, and I am very impressed how you come up with new variations and challenges, new effects and graphics. It does not get old this way.

But the basic game principle always remains the same, so I wonder if you have any plans for something completely different.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Already beaten (using Stella rewinds :) ). I really like your games, and I am very impressed how you come up with new variations and challenges, new effects and graphics. It does not get old this way.

But the basic game principle always remains the same, so I wonder if you have any plans for something completely different.

Well, first to clarify while it's true some of my games are really similar (ninjish guy/knight guy/bear) I also have made not platform games like I Ran, A roach in Space, Slide Boy, Do RE Mi, Peril and the still not completed Knight Guy on Board.

But answering your question there is two styles of games that I'd really like to try to create, but I am still trying to figure out how to make them: A good racing game for 2600 and/or 7800 and some sort of TBS for 7800.

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, vhzc said:

Well, first to clarify while it's true some of my games are really similar (ninjish guy/knight guy/bear) I also have made not platform games like I Ran, Slide Boy, Do RE Mi, Peril and the still not completed Knight Guy on Board.

I am a fan of Slide Boy. How could I forget? ?‍♂️ The new Peril is IMO still similar to Ninish Guy etc. Never played the other two a lot, so that should help as an excuse. :) 

But answering your question there is two styles of games that I'd really like to try to create, but I am still trying to figure out how to make them: A good racing game for 2600 and/or 7800 and some sort of TBS for 7800.

Look forward to your racing game. After I created my own one, I am most interested. Anything you can share here?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Game of the Bear on tomorrow's (Fri Oct 1, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope you can join us!

Games:
After Dark:
  • Enduro (1983 Activision Patch Attempt #3) by Larry Miller

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, bluswimmer said:

Haven't beaten the demo yet, but I am genuinely impressed by the sprite animations here (especially the teleport)!

Thanks! The teleport effect is a trick I made using playerheight and missile0 movement. It uses only one sprite definition/frame.

• Like 1

I played this last night with my 15 year old daughter. We switched players after every game over screen. We had a great time and I was very impressed with the game mechanics and animations. It reminded me of an upgraded h.e.r.o, which is one of my favorite VCS games.

I look forward to seeing how this game progresses. I also really like playing as a bear, great looking sprite work!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vhzc said:

@sramirez2008 I think you like sketches, drafts and stuff like that.

I found some sketches I made when I was planning this game.

20211003_180209.jpg

Loving it. Please include some of this with the game. I’m looking forward to cart a release. Love the bear sprite, especially it’s animation.?

• Like 2