IGNORED

Whatever happened to the original TI Miniwriter?

acadiel

From page 5 on here:  https://ftp.whtech.com/magazines/TIusers/tinsep83.pdf  (September 1983).

Does anyone have the actual program and/or manual for this?  It's what went into the MiniWriter II/III/+ cartridges (and then WordWriter, Beyond Wordwriter, and the Editor in TI Workshop/Magic Memory).

Also, I'm curious if the source for this ever got released.

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 12.54.53 PM.png

Here's Mini-Writer v1.0 that I dumped with TAPE994A back in 2011.  Everything is included in the ZIP file.

It shows "Model Masters" on the cassette label but loads with "Databiotics".  I got this from TexComp around 1987/88 when I ordered the Mini-Memory module.  I'm not sure if it came with a manual.  I'll dig around and check in the next few days.

606237438_Mini-Writerv1-0.thumb.jpg.df3960390a7f1105949f77687415425e.jpg

TAPE994A.zip

Edited by Torrax
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Torrax said:

Here's Mini-Writer v1.0 that I dumped with TAPE994A back in 2011.  Everything is included in the ZIP file.

It shows "Model Masters" on the cassette label but loads with "Databiotics".  I got this from TexComp around 1987/88 when I ordered the Mini-Memory module.  I'm not sure if it came with a manual.  I'll dig around and check in the next few days.

606237438_Mini-Writerv1-0.thumb.jpg.df3960390a7f1105949f77687415425e.jpg

TAPE994A.zip 511.86 kB · 6 downloads

You rock!  Thank you!

Edit:  @Torrax - I see a MINIMEM and MINIWRIT file in the archive - is one for E/A and one for the Minimem?  Do you remember?

• Like 1

Hi,

for the record, this is a photo of my speciemen. As you see, the name on the tape says "TI MINIWRITER 1.0", but it is a sticker, maybe printed from an owner. When running the program, a titlepage brefly appears and displays "MINIWRITER I" "DATABIOTICS". No sign of Texas Instruments. I wasn't quick enough to take a photo.

I wonder if I should remove the sticker, and see what is below, or if I risk to tear the original label.

IMG_0272.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Count9929A said:

Hi,

for the record, this is a photo of my speciemen. As you see, the name on the tape says "TI MINIWRITER 1.0", but it is a sticker, maybe printed from an owner. When running the program, a titlepage brefly appears and displays "MINIWRITER I" "DATABIOTICS". No sign of Texas Instruments. I wasn't quick enough to take a photo.

I wonder if I should remove the sticker, and see what is below, or if I risk to tear the original label.

IMG_0272.JPG

Note that the main label on the tape (under the sticker with Miniwriter on it), is a Tex-Comp label, and that there is yet another sticker between the two of them. I don't think I have ever seen a TI cassette of the Miniwriter program--it was announced, but I don't think it actually made it to production under TI's watch. The only cassette I know of that was approaching release (and that was far enough into the process to actually make TI-branded cassettes) was Minipede. The tapes first showed up as part of a bulk buy of random cassettes (without manuals) by Tenex or Triton (I have to go back and look to see which one it was) that sold them in groups at a steep discount. The lots I bought had a couple of Minipede tapes in them.

• Like 3

Inspired by Torrax, and for the purpose of learning how to do it, I sampled my copy of the tape, too. MAME can read the wav, so I think that I succeeded. 

Now, I'd like to create a disk version (EA3 or EA5). Torrax used TAPE994A, but it seems ot e a windows-only tool, and currently I have no Windows PC in use. I'd prefer a multi-platform tool. Is there any available? Even better, is there a TI99 program that allows to save as disk files, the assembly program loaded from tape into the Mini Memory, or created with the LBLA?

I find very strange that MiniMemory allows to Load&run assembly programs from disk, to create new programs, but not to save programs to disk. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Count9929A said:

I find very strange that MiniMemory allows to Load&run assembly programs from disk, to create new programs, but not to save programs to disk. ?

I think if you know what address your program is loaded at then envoking the"S" and address range, then it does save TO TAPE if using debug. But, yeah, no disk

Edited by GDMike

On 10/2/2021 at 3:19 AM, Count9929A said:

Inspired by Torrax, and for the purpose of learning how to do it, I sampled my copy of the tape, too. MAME can read the wav, so I think that I succeeded. 

Now, I'd like to create a disk version (EA3 or EA5). Torrax used TAPE994A, but it seems ot e a windows-only tool, and currently I have no Windows PC in use. I'd prefer a multi-platform tool. Is there any available? Even better, is there a TI99 program that allows to save as disk files, the assembly program loaded from tape into the Mini Memory, or created with the LBLA?

This may or may not work.  It's a TI-99 program called DiskIt that will save a cassette program directly to a disk (it can work on anything - TOD Games, Adventure, BASIC programs, E/A, etc.)  Or at least, let's hope that's what is on the disk.

DiskIt by Maple Leaf Software.  No longer have the manual.  PC99 Format, I believe.

MAPLE_LEAF.dsk.zip

• Thanks 3

• 5 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 9:50 PM, CollectorGene said:

I have a couple TI-99 / 4A computers along with Reader Writer software and all manuals. Does anyone have any interest in these items?

Thanks 

Collectorshaven

I'm sure someone is, can you give more details including location? 

Are you giving these away or selling them?