IGNORED

It blows my mind that the Jaguar was basically only around for 2 years

T.A.P.

5 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

Is that project still going on?  It's been years since I heard anybody mention it.  When was the last time they gave any sort of update? 

Last I heard Heretic and Chex Quest were done but they actually want to somehow get money for these things.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Austin said:

How the OP feels is basically how I feel about the Dreamcast. Another one that died too soon.

I bought a Dreamcast around launch (still have Hydro Thunder w/the bugged audio) and thought it was pretty amazing for the time. Then I kind of crapped on it, the same way I didn't really appreciate the Saturn initially. Although the Saturn was more or less a failure here in the US, it had a great life in Japan. Unfortunately the DC never got that chance. But it is pretty amazing the library we did get in such a short lifespan from shmups to fighting games to sports and more. The Dreamcast even managed to making fishing fun.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, madman said:

I bought a Dreamcast around launch (still have Hydro Thunder w/the bugged audio) and thought it was pretty amazing for the time. Then I kind of crapped on it, the same way I didn't really appreciate the Saturn initially. Although the Saturn was more or less a failure here in the US, it had a great life in Japan. Unfortunately the DC never got that chance. But it is pretty amazing the library we did get in such a short lifespan from shmups to fighting games to sports and more. The Dreamcast even managed to making fishing fun.

I never understood the mindset of many gamers back then who didn't give the DC a fair shake. I bought one myself shortly after launch and never tired of it at all throughout its lifespan. The system had a crazy amount of fun games, with the releases never seeming to slow down, and I built up a huge library even before Sega decided to shelve it. Thinking back on when Sega announced its cancellation and their transition to being just a software publisher is depressing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I never understood the mindset of many gamers back then who didn't give the DC a fair shake. I bought one myself shortly after launch and never tired of it at all throughout its lifespan. The system had a crazy amount of fun games, with the releases never seeming to slow down, and I built up a huge library even before Sega decided to shelve it. Thinking back on when Sega announced its cancellation and their transition to being just a software publisher is depressing.

Same here. I was 100% hooked to the Dreamcast during its entire run, and still played it heavily for the couple of years after its cancellation, where I imported some of those "big ticket" releases in the shmup and fighting game genres. Loved that thing to death and yeah, I feel the same way when thinking about the transition. It's just depressing, haha.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

I think a lot of people just gave up on Sega by that point. You've got the 32X, then the Saturn which as mentioned didn't do so well in the US...by the time the DC was out I can't imagine consumers had much trust in them to spend another $200 on something that might be short-lived. Which it was, but it did have a quality library. Plus the PS2 with DVD support was on the horizon. No matter how great the games were, the cards were stacked against Sega.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, madman said:

I think a lot of people just gave up on Sega by that point. You've got the 32X, then the Saturn which as mentioned didn't do so well in the US...by the time the DC was out I can't imagine consumers had much trust in them to spend another $200 on something that might be short-lived. Which it was, but it did have a quality library. Plus the PS2 with DVD support was on the horizon. No matter how great the games were, the cards were stacked against Sega.

My console history during that era went Genesis-Jaguar-PlayStation. After watching the 32X debacle followed by launching and axing Saturn after extremely truncated life, I scoffed upon seeing a Dreamcast at a friend's house. I questioned his decision and noted Sega was likely to thoroughly soil its breeches.

• Like 1

I was a "late bloomer" as they say.

In 1994, I think I was a Sophomore in high school. I distinctly remember really disliking the Atari Jaguar, particularly because of Doom. And while I didn't really talk much about games when I was in high school (more interested in other things and trying to be cool), I do remember one or two kids who mentioned they had one. Despite the fact that I grew up with Atari and loved the brand, I kind of berated these kids for it. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to buy the Jaguar for Doom when in fact you could basically buy the game on computer with better graphics and sound.

I was hanging out one day at a friends house after a weekend paint-balling, and the guy had an Atari Jaguar with AVP and Wolfenstein. I remember thinking it was actually pretty cool. He told me Atari was going bankrupt, and that KayBee was liquidating their games. I went to the mall, and bought every game they had. They were selling Jaguar carts, brand new in the box, for $5, and CD games for $7. I bought one of everything... and that amounted to nearly 30 some odd games, which included all the super rare ones that people pay big money for today. I got Primal Rage for $7, AVP for $5, etc.

As an adult, I appreciate the system much more, though I rarely find time to play it... and I think I enjoy the community (you all) more than I do the system... but still, I like it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I was hanging out one day at a friends house after a weekend paint-balling, and the guy had an Atari Jaguar with AVP and Wolfenstein. I remember thinking it was actually pretty cool. He told me Atari was going bankrupt, and that KayBee was liquidating their games. I went to the mall, and bought every game they had. They were selling Jaguar carts, brand new in the box, for $5, and CD games for $7. I bought one of everything... and that amounted to nearly 30 some odd games, which included all the super rare ones that people pay big money for today. I got Primal Rage for $7, AVP for $5, etc.

I wish I was that lucky!  I was a day one buyer of the big titles when a store would get maybe 5 copies of a game.   And the price kept increasing:

Wolfenstein 3D - $60

T2K - $70

AVP - $80 (yes eighty!)

Edited by rayik
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 2:04 AM, JagChris said:

I don't know what he was comparing it to but in my mind i was comparing it to it's more successful contemporaries. 

Such as 3DO, 32X, Saturn and PSX.

I think now the Jag only beats the 3DO scene. 

Well now the 3do is even on the verge of beating us.

More

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, JagChris said:

Well now the 3do is even on the verge of beating us.

More

This looks impressive technically but note that there are no objects or AI in the game and the engine already struggles with the FPS and draw distance. So, question is if this could get past the raw tech demo stage?

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

This looks impressive technically but note that there are no objects or AI in the game and the engine already struggles with the FPS and draw distance. So, question is if this could get past the raw tech demo stage?

I have access to this demo.  Enemy AI is implemented as are damage and level hazards.  This only began development less than 2 weeks ago.  It went from 100% software rendering to this in less than 10 days.  The dev estimates it will take over a year to get everything optimized.  This demo is not an indicator of what the final product will be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zetastrike said:

I have access to this demo.  Enemy AI is implemented as are damage and level hazards.  This only began development less than 2 weeks ago.  It went from 100% software rendering to this in less than 10 days.  The dev estimates it will take over a year to get everything optimized.  This demo is not an indicator of what the final product will be.

Ok, the bats are in this video of the WIP, my fault. However it really struggles to keep it at playable framerate when there is movement.

Surely, a lot of optimization necessary. I am really curious how close he can get to the PS1 version.

The question is: it might be technically possible and interesting experiment to port something like this to inferior consoles like the 3DO (or Jaguar), but is it fun to play?

Anyway, great and bold project.

BTW: this is another insane one - Another World port for the GBC!