IGNORED

Atari800MacX Fullscreen Issue

Jetboot Jack

Hi,

When I use Atari800MacX 6.0.0 on my Intel based iMac (Mac OS 11.5.2) and in full screen I get a massive red border to the left of the screen. Don't see this in windowed mode and have done a re-install after deleting all the emulator files and it's still there ?

Anyone else see this or have a workaround?

sTeVE

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Hi,

When I use Atari800MacX 6.0.0 on my Intel based iMac (Mac OS 11.5.2) and in full screen I get a massive red border to the left of the screen. Don't see this in windowed mode and have done a re-install after deleting all the emulator files and it's still there ?

Anyone else see this or have a workaround?

sTeVE

I don’t see a massive red border when running 6.0.0 on my M1 MacBook Air. I do see, depending on the game, some small flashing blocks outside the normal viewing screen. It appears to be showing areas that wouldn’t normally appear on a CRT. 

Bob C

Yeah I thought it was an over-scanning issue, but it's there whatever display mode I select, but only fullscreen.

Usually over-scanning will show garbage in an emulator, and be affected by the software running, this is 100% stable and persistent - no software or settings make it change...

If you screenshot from the emulator it does not appear in the capture, but if you use the OS screenshot tool it's visible...

sTeVE

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 07.42.53.png

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 2:03 PM, kheller2 said:

What are your settings?  I just started running bigsir 11.6 so I can try to test. 

None special - 6.0.0 fresh install, using real OS images (any, issue occurs on all), PAL video, any game and select full screen…

Gonna try on other macs will also get latest OS update and check!

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

39 minutes ago, Jetboot Jack said:

None special - 6.0.0 fresh install, using real OS images (any, issue occurs on all), PAL video, any game and select full screen…

Gonna try on other macs will also get latest OS update and check!

sTeVE

What version of PoP are you running? There are several versions in the PoP thread. I'm curious if I can recreate the problem you're having. I ran the 06/19/2021 Atarimax cartridge version.

Bob C

3 hours ago, Jetboot Jack said:

It’s not POP that is the issue, I have not played that, it’s any game - in the screenshot I shared it’s the recent version of Scramble….

sTeVE

In that case, it might be the difference between the Intel and Apple Silicon (M1) versions of Big Sur. I haven’t seen anything like the red border when running various games in full screen mode. I only see the small flickering blocks that appear to be data that won’t appear on a CRT.  I’m running MacOS 11.6 on an M1. 

Bob C

On 9/30/2021 at 12:23 AM, darwinmac said:

In that case, it might be the difference between the Intel and Apple Silicon (M1) versions of Big Sur. I haven’t seen anything like the red border when running various games in full screen mode. I only see the small flickering blocks that appear to be data that won’t appear on a CRT.  I’m running MacOS 11.6 on an M1. 

Bob C

Doubtful that Rosetta emulation would improve the compatibility - that would be very counter intuitive since the intel silicon path is the pure one vs the M1 execution requiring Rosetta...

I have installed the emulator on a late model intel Mac mini (I7 with 32GB RAM and an external AMD Vega 64 GPU) and so far I am not seeing the red in full screen!

So is this an iMac or GPU specific issue (the system I use for emulation is a 2014 27" system with 32GB RAM, 4.4ghz I7 with an R9 GPU)?

sTeVE

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jetboot Jack said:

So is this an iMac or GPU specific issue (the system I use for emulation is a 2014 27" system with 32GB RAM, 4.4ghz I7 with an R9 GPU)?

sTeVE

I have a very similar system, the late 2015 27" iMac with 32GB Ram, 4GHz i7 + AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

The effect is triggered by the option "Keep Aspect Ratio in Fullscreen". If i disable this, the image is stretched but no red bar on the left side. Maybe darwinmac can check this option in the preferences?

I can check this when I am back at home this weekend. However, I doubt I would have unchecked that item. I can’t stand a stretched screen.  @Jetboot Jack - @atarimac compiled 6.0.0 as a Universal binary. Therefore, Rosetta is not used. However, it could be something specific to your graphics card since the two of you seeing this problem have the same card. 

Bob C

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 2:17 AM, Dinadan67 said:

The effect is triggered by the option "Keep Aspect Ratio in Fullscreen". If i disable this, the image is stretched but no red bar on the left side. Maybe darwinmac can check this option in the preferences?

I tried Atari800MacX when I returned home. As I thought, I always leave "Keep Aspect Ratio in Fullscreen" checked. I tried fullscreen in both NTSC (preferred for me being in the US) and PAL. I did not see the red bar either time. If I uncheck "Keep Aspect Ratio in Fullscreen", the image is stretched and I do not see the flickering boxes that I assume do not appear on a traditional CRT.

Bob C

• 3 months later...

All,

This has been fixed today in version 6.0.1 of Atari800MacX.  I was not able to duplicate it with any of the Macs that I had previously, but when I got my new M1 Macbook Pro the issue showed up for me as well, and luckily the fix was only one line of code.

The new release is available at github: https://github.com/atarimacosx/Atari800MacX/releases/tag/Release_6.0.1 

or atarimac.com:  http://atarimac.com/downloads.php

Mark

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...