IGNORED

Sega Master System 3D glasses alternative

eightbit

Its been some time since I purchased my fill of these, but since I just noticed the seller is almost out I figured I would tune people in that might need them:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324083725444?hash=item4b74e53484:g:nP8AAOSwbI9eVMG3

These work with the Sega Master System 3D adapter. I ordered one some time ago with a hunch that it would work. And, it did. So, I ordered two more so that way I can have SMS 3D for the rest of my life ;) 

What I like about these are the fact that they fit an adult human head...unlike the original SMS 3D glasses that barely fit and might just break if you have a noggin larger than a 13 year old. 

Anyway, a few left. I have no affiliation with this seller whatsoever, but I will say that he was polite and shipped fast...and these work. When he was selling them initially he did not advertise that they worked with the SMS or Famicom, but I guess he got reports from some users.

Just a friendly heads up from your ol' pal eightbit!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that's cool.  I never owned the 3D classes for my Master System, but I did rent them once.  I forget which carts I rented with them, I think Maze Hunter 3D... maybe global defense.  I remember thinking it worked pretty well.

They're pretty cheap - what do you need to plug them into a real SMS?

1 hour ago, BydoEmpire said:

Wow, that's cool.  I never owned the 3D classes for my Master System, but I did rent them once.  I forget which carts I rented with them, I think Maze Hunter 3D... maybe global defense.  I remember thinking it worked pretty well.

Maybe you mean Missile Defense 3D? Global Defense doesn't use the 3D glasses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

You just need the 3D adapter. This one looks a little worn but its cheap:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353543039882?hash=item5250ceab8a:g:WvsAAOSwiOpg0TOp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I might get a pair as a backup.  My original glasses have weak hinges and I fear that the arms are going to break off at any time.

The plastic on the original glasses was always quite brittle. I found an absolutely pristine set for my brother at a flea market years ago and he put it safely in a box and put them away. When he went to use them a year or so later there was a hairline crack down the center. Might have just been the temps in the storage area he chose as the box was not crushed. 

I am just glad there are alternatives. These glasses are not the only ones that will work with the SMS. There were a few 3D headphone jack type glasses for PC for VR back in the day and I bet most of them would work. The problem is finding them.

These work great although I will say that you do have to fiddle with the TV brightness a bit (turn it down). The real SMS 3D glasses have a very dark layer over the front, and these Asus glasses are not as dark. Hence the need to play with the TV brightness to get the 3D effect to look right. Not really a big deal, but forgot to point that out.

If you don't want to mess with the brightness on the TV you can probably also make it perfect by putting one of those thin plastic glasses that you get when you have your eyes dilated at eye exams over these ;) 

Edited by eightbit

Since it may be that topic that gave me the idea, I'll tell you about my little experiment.

A few years ago, I borrowed a Master System cart of a 3D game (Zaxxon 3D iirc) to see if my 3D TV (which can "force 3D", and even convert badly a 2D signal) was able to display the game in 3D without needing the official glasses. But it didn't work, because even though it probably should in theory, the thing is the 3D processing can only be applied to a HDMI signal, not a SCART one. ?

However, yesterday I just remembered the Mega Sg does provide a HDMI signal... ? So I "found" the ROM for Space Harrier 3D and forced the 3D mode on my TV. There are actually 4 options: one that converts a 2D signal in 3D, two that display 3D from a signal with both pictures side by side or one above the other, and the fourth that turns a 3D signal made of alternating pictures into an interlaced one. Since the Master System used "active" 3D glasses, but my TV displays "passive" 3D with polarized glasses, I had to pick the fourth mode of course.

And it worked!! Not perfectly, but good enough. ? The thing is, on static screens like the title screen, when pausing in game or when switching from a screen to another, it would kind of shuffle layers (some things would appear close instead of far and vice versa), even though it would sometimes get better after a few seconds. But it worked pretty well in game (when there's movement) and it's quite impressive. That being said, it may not work as well with 3D games that are more "static" than Space Harrier, such as Maze Walker for instance. However, it's possible the processing gets confused by the "unusual" signal it gets, even converted to HDMI. Maybe some video settings from the Mega Sg would make it better, especially if there are options regarding the frame rate.

I'll try to test this with different 3D games, then.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, ECWfan said:

Do these glasses work with the Pioneer Laseractive?

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/remote-control/laseractive-sega-master.html

"But the high-quality LaserActive GOL-1 3D goggles shown in the picture do work with the Sega adaptor. And either the GOL-1 goggles or the original Sega 3-D glasses will work on the ADP-1 adapter"

Most likely, the Pioneer Laseractive use the same standard than the SMS, so, the answer is "more than likely, yes".

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 5:12 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

And I assume these will really only work with a CRT given I believe they rely on the refresh from the CRT synced with the LCD shutter on the glasses?

That is correct. The 3D glasses will only work with CRT displays. Good thing to bring up since some people may not be aware.

Edited by eightbit

• 1 month later...