IGNORED

Metal Dragon for the Sega Genesis / Megadrive

Kai_Magazine

Hello everyone!
I am Oscar Kenneth, from the Indie team: Kai Magazine Software.
We are about to finish a port to the Genesis / Megadrive of our latest game, with many improvements and extras.

This video shows the intro and first minutes of game-play of Metal Dragon for the Genesis / Megadrive (NTSC format):

The game is a parody of some warlike games from the 80's and 90's that we love. 
You will see it has strong influences on Mercs, Desert Assault, Metal Gear and other games. 
Please don't take this game too seriously, we made the original one just for fun and we made it like that because we wanted to. 
It had an unexpected great success on the original system (it has very stiff hardware requirements for that system) and we thought a Genesis / Megadrive version would look nice and perhaps you guys would like it too. 

We have self-published many games for other systems but this will be our first Genesis / Megadrive game so we would like to ask you guys about reliable cartridge board manufacturers, high quality cartridge case shells and high quality Genesis / Megadrive boxes. The ones we found on Aliexpress have a pretty low quality but we have seen some new indie Genesis / Megadrive games with high quality cartridge cases and boxes so perhaps someone could steer us in the right direction?

Thank you everyone!
We hope you like the video.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Kai_Magazine said:

We have self-published many games for other systems but this will be our first Genesis / Megadrive game so we would like to ask you guys about reliable cartridge board manufacturers, high quality cartridge case shells and high quality Genesis / Megadrive boxes. The ones we found on Aliexpress have a pretty low quality but we have seen some new indie Genesis / Megadrive games with high quality cartridge cases and boxes so perhaps someone could steer us in the right direction?

Talk to Voultar, Bob from RetroRGB, or René from db Electronics. Those guys should be able to tell you what you are looking for and René designed the carts for the recent Toaplan reissue from Retro-Bit, so yeah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scotterpop said:

This looks really good and if your team can get a physical cartridge released for the Genny then this would be a day 1 purchase for me! So please keep us informed on your progress.

Thank you very much for your kind words ^_^

Rest assured we will make a physical release, we self-published many games before and we could do it already with this one, we want to make sure we get the best quality box, shell and board possible for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,
Here you have some links to download a playable demo of Metal Dragon for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive.
You can also take a look at the cover.
Alternative region variants are available.
The pre-order will begin very soon.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/tw5oovdhtnk39ek/Metal_Dragon_Playable_Demo_v1_2.bin/file

https://easyupload.io/h4siot

https://ufile.io/6wis04p3

The game has not been tested in all the possible hardware combinations available out there, so if you experience a crash or a weird bug please send me a private message.
We hope you like it!

MD GENESIS half.png

MD MEGADRIVE half.png

MD MEGADRIVE EUROPE half.png

• Like 4

Not home right now, but I'll try it on a bunch of different hardware when I get home. Hopefully it works on the occasionally problematic VA4 Japanese Mega Drive, unlike Demons of Asteborg, which does not. There's something about the hardware on that specific motherboard revision that sometimes causes problems with various things.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2021 at 6:05 PM, Kai_Magazine said:

Thank you! I am looking forward to see if it works on that hardware.

lol nope. First attempt = all music and sound stopped working during intro. Second attempt = crashed in the intro right here

Pic_1011_815.thumb.jpg.a00d18bb97598d012df30ba2443b9dcc.jpg

Third attempt = all music and sound stopped working during intro. Fourth attempt = all music and sound stopped working during intro... again. Seems to work fine on Nomad, though. Using MegaSD on firmware 1.05 R02 (the newest one as of right now), if that matters. This is basically identical to what happens with Demons of Asteborg. I suppose it could be the Japanese VA4 + MegaSD combination, as well, but I am not sure, as I have had no other issues on the VA4. I have 5 different hardware versions (VA4 Japanese Mega Drive, VA6 Japanese Mega Drive, VA0 Japanese Mega Drive 2, Mega Jet, and Nomad) and also the Mega Sg, but the VA4 and the Nomad are the only ones I have tried so far. Any chance of having a button to shoot straight up like the one in Sega's old arcade game Ninja Princess?

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Sad 1

On 10/11/2021 at 1:19 AM, Kai_Magazine said:

Thank you very much for testing this, Steven. That will be very helpful since we will be able to include a disclaimer about this incompatibility in the pre-order information. ^_^

Well, it could be a problem with a lot of different things. The VA4 works flawlessly with everything I have ever tried on it except for 3 things: this demo on MegaSD, Demons of Asteborg on MegaSD (they have not sent me the cart yet, so I don't know if it's the MegaSD or not), and the combination of the 32X + OSSC or RetroTINK will not allow me to get optimal timings for whatever reason even though it looks fine on my Trinitron and the 32X + OSSC/RetroTINK works just fine on any of my other hardware variants.

I still haven't gotten around to testing it on other hardware variants yet, as I've been distracted by Sakura Taisen and Metroid, but since it works on the Nomad, which is basically a Genesis 2/Mega Drive 2, I'm assuming it should work on any Genesis 2/MD2 just fine. I'll be sure to test the VA6 MD and the Mega Sg's SD card slot eventually. Mega Sg is actually way less compatible than most people think (Sonic CD doesn't work on real Mega-CD/Sega CD hardware + Mega Sg combination, Gleylancer 2019 reissue used to work but became broken due to a firmware update over a year ago and still has not been fixed, screen tearing in Mark III/Master System games, Demons of Asteborg does not work from the SD card, Master System Desert Strike has some problem that I forgot the specifics of, etc.), so it's good to test it.

I suppose you can probably get away with just saying something like "May not work on all official hardware revisions or emulator/FPGA consoles" or something like that and be covered, though I'm not a legal expert type of dude.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 4:41 AM, Kai_Magazine said:

It had an unexpected great success on the original system (it has very stiff hardware requirements for that system) and we thought a Genesis / Megadrive version would look nice and perhaps you guys would like it too.

Looks cool, what was the original system?

I tried it on the Mega Sg and it worked fine. I played on easy difficulty and even though the life bar is really long, there a lot of enemies and it can be sometimes tedious to hit some of them; a button to lock the shooting direction could be great.

The game is fun though, but since it borrows heavily from Mercs, it's a bit weird to have this game on one of the few systems that got a port of Mercs. Of course there are grenades and the weapons are different so in a sense, if one likes Mercs, one should like having more of it on the Genesis but... I don't know, maybe it's just me. ?

• Like 1

The Pre-order of «Metal Dragon» for the Sega Genesis/Mega drive at a special price has started!

All the people who pre-orders this game will be included in the Special Thanks section of the manual (unless they state otherwise).

PRE-ORDER HERE:

https://kai-magazine-software.fwscart.com/SEGA_GENESIS___MEGADRIVE/cat4398490_555342.aspx

The pre-order will last a month (unless pre-orders keep coming).
Once the pre-order is concluded we will order all the necessary materials and once they arrive we will start manufacturing all the physical copy’s and we will begin the shipments.

Shipments should begin between mid-December and mid-January, depending on when all the necessary materials arrive.

The shipments will last for at least 1 month, maybe 2 (depending on the volume of pre-orders).

The pre-orders will be sent in order of payment.

Sufficient support of this project will ensure that we will make more and better games for the Sega Genesis/Mega drive
Thank you everyone for your support!

3 region boxes.jpg

• Like 1