IGNORED

Pleasuredome is GONE

eightbit

7 hours ago, glazball said:

Holy crap!  Do you have any other information about this?  Any idea what happened??

Well, it now exists on Discord so at least it is not totally gone. But, all of the conversations, forums, useful info, data....it is gone. And, of course, everything but the Mame stuff as far as I can see....and even some of that is not accessible anymore.

This noob has never used Discord and knows nothing about it.  I have just about every major collection archived and the last few years, I've only seeded (not much else I want or need).  Still, I had several unused free tickets and always looked forward to the free torrents around Xmas-time.  Ah well, RIP Pleasuredome.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 5:52 AM, eightbit said:

But, all of the conversations, forums, useful info, data....it is gone. And, of course, everything but the Mame stuff as far as I can see....and even some of that is not accessible anymore.

This. Assorted discords/reddits/etc are nowhere near being substitutes for a proper tracker with a dedicated community. Archive.org is awesome overall but it has too many gaps, stuff is scattered all over the place, and is also open to takedowns (eg recent videomag purge).

Unfortunately, the era of proper torrenting is over - even the undergorund trackers are few these days. The old heads mostly don't care, partially because of the "I have everything anyway" attitude, and the young un's don't know any better (thinking that a No-Intro set is a be all-end all of preservation) and don't care. It's a pity, really.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thanatos said:

Yeah, I don't get discord.  Old man syndrome.  Forums are searchable, now we have yet another chat with infinite scroll.  ?

Yeah, I am with you.  It seems that there are many links over to GitHub however which is a little better:  MAME Sets & Datfiles | pleasuredome

1 hour ago, eightbit said:

I had nine the last time I was able to check...I hear you!

Though, kind of useless once they got rid of most of the systems a few years ago...  But I will definitely miss the holiday promo to pad your stats up!  There go a whole bunch of useless internet points I had!  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thanatos said:

Though, kind of useless once they got rid of most of the systems a few years ago...  But I will definitely miss the holiday promo to pad your stats up!  There go a whole bunch of useless internet points I had!  :D

There was some unique stuff. The Pleasuredome Self Boot Dreamcast set for example. 

I remember when UG was active they had the actual release rars and nfo files for every single DC scene release. I downloaded that set but sadly I lost it some time ago to a failed hard drive. Not that the games are hard to find....but the history of those group releases, the scenetros in them, etc...that was really cool to have. Especially since I was there at the time of all of them back in the day, suffering on dialup and then DSL ;)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I checked back on this today after a few months.  The most recent announcement is from today, so it seems there are some updates happening.

MAME 0.241 posted https://pleasuredome.github.io/pleasuredome/mame/index.html

Obviously, people don't like change, but why did the website have to go exactly?  I read the reddit thread when this was announced and it just kinda said it was time for it to go.  However, I can't really seem to find something with the exact same advantages.  Whenever I wanted to find a set, I knew they would have it (at least years ago), and it would be safe and not junked up with crap.  Is that available somewhere else that I don't know about?  I was a member at IPTorrents for a while, but I turned my computer off for 2 weeks and forgot to log in and they booted me.  Someone mentioned Internet Archive, but I have chased a lot of files on there that were incomplete or dead ends.  Searching for stuff on Internet Archive is definitely NOT what I would call a replacement for something like pleasuredome.

Here's the quote I remember finding on reddit (found on Discord)

Why it ended ? The time has come.... Sept 26th 2021 : we had decided the end of the Pleasuredome, so, during a meeting of the crew on our favorite channel, we closed the site, drinking a beer together & shaking hands as replay .. Because we're in 2021 , because the world has changed, because time has passed, because a tracker like Pleasuredome has no sense in his current form, and because Pleasuresome was -and always has been- a simple hobby. But what for a hobby it has been !!! 

I also found this quote pinned on the Discord server that helps me understand a bit more about why it was time.

You want a detailed explanation for this? OK. When PD started it was ROMs and CHDs only, MAME and MESS were not merged and most of the emulated games were decades old and no-one was interested in middle aged men reliving their youth. Today the emulation scene has merged somewhat with the piracy scene (current gen emulated) and the retro scene is huge and lucrative. People used to be grateful for whatever you could provide but the world changed so people who are at no risk of being prosecuted are acting all entitled and telling staff (for example) what we should and should not be doing or hosting. Risk has increased, when we started, we were all younger and had the ability to only think of ourselves, most of us now are married with children and grandchildren, mortgages and assets, there is simply too much to lose now. I hope that has explained it once and for all.

Oh ffs...come on. Archive.org is the best thing on the flippin Corponet in 2022. It's not perfect because it's still largerly a grassroots sort of operation and also deals with untold amounts of data. if doesn't have Google/Apple kind of money, so it can't have a zillion yupsters sitting on beanbags tweaking the UI and UX over and over again

It also has to have at least some rules, how on earth do you imagine it could let you just download all the books, when they are still in hot water after the free covid books thing?

25 minutes ago, wongojack said:

You want a detailed explanation for this? OK. When PD started it was ROMs and CHDs only, MAME and MESS were not merged and most of the emulated games were decades old and no-one was interested in middle aged men reliving their youth. Today the emulation scene has merged somewhat with the piracy scene (current gen emulated) and the retro scene is huge and lucrative. People used to be grateful for whatever you could provide but the world changed so people who are at no risk of being prosecuted are acting all entitled and telling staff (for example) what we should and should not be doing or hosting. Risk has increased, when we started, we were all younger and had the ability to only think of ourselves, most of us now are married with children and grandchildren, mortgages and assets, there is simply too much to lose now. I hope that has explained it once and for all.

Yep that's kind of what I figured happened.  The whole emulation scene changed once the big companies started getting involved and protecting their back catalogs.  It used to be that no one cared because short of buying used games at a Funcoland there was no other way to play something once it was no longer manufactured.  These days there are legal ways to play many games from the past, so pirating isn't the only way anymore.   Add the fact that companies are now actively and seriously prosecuting people for piracy (remember, there's money involved now), and people aren't willing to take the risk of ruining their lives just so someone can play SMB for free.  I honestly don't blame them.  That's one of the reasons I never hosted roms on my site even though I doubt anyone would have cared.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, youxia said:

Oh ffs...come on. Archive.org is the best thing on the flippin Corponet in 2022. It's not perfect because it's still largerly a grassroots sort of operation and also deals with untold amounts of data. if doesn't have Google/Apple kind of money, so it can't have a zillion yupsters sitting on beanbags tweaking the UI and UX over and over again

It also has to have at least some rules, how on earth do you imagine it could let you just download all the books, when they are still in hot water after the free covid books thing?

There's A LOT of junk on there.  Bad collections that are mislabeled.  It's a bit of a mess whenever I want to find something.  I usually spend a lot of time and then just give up.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wongojack said:

There's A LOT of junk on there. 

And this is somehow archive.org's fault? It's a public repository, anybody can upload whatever they please, and there are millions of uploaders. It's not up to archive to check what all people throw up there or how they label and tag it. I don't see anybody complaining about crap on utube, despite Google's fancy AIs and hordes of moderators.

Besides, if you know where to look it's all there still (protip: htgdb)

Smh. I guess I'll just hit Ignore on this thread. I'm mostly inoculated to various opinions swirling around internet, but people complaining about the best stuff on it, such as archive or Wikipedia (and usually for very petty and unfair reasons) is one thing I will never understand. Glad I probably won't be around when in 20-30 years all your base will belong to the Big G and free-for-all repos like that will be a stuff of fairytales.