IGNORED

The day I got my 800XL, it broke down

kurosawa6502

It was whispered to me that many an Atari item walked from factory floors to homes in Japan, there may be more Atari's floating around Tokyo than one might think. It is rumored that there could be much hardware stowed in different places and resting, to be found or awoken when such people and places rediscover their Atari nests. Maybe asking around could start such things to be uncovered/rediscovered.

I'd suggest a syscheck from tf hh

I'd check delay line, clock, and the 4050.

can't hurt to check the electrolytic caps either.

Make sure the Atari is the correct one for your video system in use.

• Like 1

As others have said, there is a risk of doing damage when trying to fix this stuff. But also that is the way you learn. I think a lot of folks learned a lot of the lessons when they were younger, with simpler/cheaper stuff. For those of us who didn't, we tend to make the same learning mistakes on harder to find/more expensive stuff!

Common strategies: 1. Just give some of the suggestions a try and see where you end up. 2. order a 2nd unit, and if that one works either keep the first for parts or sell it. If it doesn't work, maybe you can get one working system from both sets of parts.

Edited by invisible kid

I guess main problem is shipping and lack of substancial Atari user base in Japan. Otherwise the problem has the potential to be very easy to solve. 

I am sure someone around here in the forum would sell you another 800XL. 

Just out of curiosity, where did the 800XL come from? 

36 minutes ago, manterola said:

Otherwise the problem has the potential to be very easy to solve.

Yes, I agree with this. Compared to some units I've seen repaired, this one doesn't look too bad. I mean, it has audio and video, even if they're scrambled. It's those that don't do anything at all, and give no indication of life other than maybe a power LED that can be hard.