Jacob Livingston

Ship Turn Needed

Intellivision really needs to get some new content out fast or it looks like they're going to lose people exponentially. Even the "Safe place" Facebook group is looking like AtariAge and Reddit with the latest posts there being:

"So sorry peeps! Just cancelled! I'm out..."

"Is it just me or has the Amico hype died?"

"Come on throw us a bone..."

"Why I'm No Longer Excited"

and investors asking if they should expect to see returns this year.

For those who have pre-ordered, I believe the loss of enthusiasm comes not necessary from the delay itself, but from the lack of any definitive date to look forward to next. Leaving open the possibility that backers may still get theirs before the end of this year, but without formally committing to that or establishing a cut-off date of when this may be known for sure, is probably going to result in another round of disappointment when and if it doesn't happen.

There also aren't any compelling reasons for pre-ordering the console now versus when it actually launches, aside from the original founder edition versions that have some exclusivity. It still ultimately costs the same amount as it will when released, and at any point between this winter and 2023 an extra $150-$200 will need to be afforded to finish paying for the pre-order, which may put undue stress on some especially as personal and financial circumstances may've changed drastically in two years.

More definitive data and transparency on hardware/software progress, setbacks, milestones and dated goals could go a long way to reignite interest and soften speculation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If they lose money on each Amico getting preorders out, cancelled preorders will technically save them money.  If they do get early preorders out, it's hard to say how long before more orders are filled.

It's also hard to say what a group of thousands of people are thinking based on a few Facebook comments.

Edited by mr_me
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, mr_me said:

If they lose money on each Amico getting preorders out, cancelled preorders will technically save them money.  If they do get early preorders out, it's hard to say how long before more orders are filled.

It's also hard to say what a group of thousands of people are thinking based on a few Facebook comments.

Yes, but actually no. They need a userbase in order for the console not to fizzle out.

I think the latest video by the NSG really puts things into a nice little perspective as there are some aspects that he mentions that turned me off of the Amico as well.

• Like 2

I believe that Tommy turned the ship today with the latest Facebook post. Thanks for the update Tommy, much appreciated. I think it was a great summary of everything past, present and future. Well done 🙌.

3 hours ago, Jacob Livingston said:

I believe that Tommy turned the ship today with the latest Facebook post. Thanks for the update Tommy, much appreciated. I think it was a great summary of everything past, present and future. Well done 🙌.

Care to quote it here for us facebook-haters?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

Care to quote it here for us facebook-haters?

I assume if it's intended for here, Tommy will post when ready. There isn't much to say until the product ships (if it ships). In the meantime, we might as well move onto other things. There isn't anything happening anytime soon. If you're on their mailing list you'll get news when they have news to share. That's about it - other than that it's bottom of the barrel drama scraping.

From Facebook:  

Hi Everyone,  Folks here are starting to get upset at each other, drawing lines, taking sides, etc.  I appreciate that everyone has so much passion, energy and excitement about what we're doing to the point of discussing their thoughts openly.  Contrary to a false narrative that is sometimes pushed by nefarious individuals, I do not consider people who criticize me or what we're doing as "haters".  If you've bought into that false narrative... you should stop.  

As for the folks here, I recognize and appreciate that you want as much content as possible.  To give you all an update, we will be putting out a quick video from our play event at Boomers a few weeks ago, but the thing we've been working on the most is a new family trailer for our target audience.  I already know that some of the folks in here won't like it or appreciate it.  And that's okay.  Not everything we do is going to please everyone and we have a lot of people who are only interested and/or follow Amico because of the retro feels.  I'm certain that you'll enjoy what the final product will be as well although you may not agree with our direction or go to market strategy.  

After those videos we will also start releasing in depth gameplay videos.  We currently have 10 that we've started working on.  These are specifically to cater to the folks currently paying attention and are looking for more content.  But I hope people can appreciate that our main and first focus is to appeal to the masses and the casual family demographic for which the console was created.  But we certainly don't want the folks who have believed in us from the beginning to be upset or feel left out either.  I hope folks can appreciate it's a fine line and balance to try and make everyone happy.  If I say or show too much, people tell me to just shut up and get back to work to launch the console.  If we don't speak and try to keep our heads down, people demand that we let them know what is going on or quickly start to lose faith.  If we post gameplay that is in progress, people tell us we're stupid and it looks like crap.  When we post finished gameplay, people will complain that they've already seen a version of it in the past.  Even when we make a post about winning an award, people complained, told us to shut up and get back to work.  I totally understand that some of this is warranted and everyone has their own thoughts and opinions on how we should be marketing the product and running the company.  It's all good.  But I also hope folks can understand and appreciate the challenges we've had to deal with over the past year and a half and consistently dealing with awful people whose only goal in life is to destroy us.

In regards to the other lies, misinformation and smear campaigns being purposely targeted against me, the company, the product and quite frankly, anyone who has played and said they like Amico, feel free to read my response on a recent popular reddit thread regarding certain individuals purposely trying to destroy us.  

Anyway, thanks for listening and folks have been asking for some kind of update, so I wanted to give you something.  I wish I could share a lot more with everyone, but the best for the company and product must always come first, which sometimes may not be in sync with what the folks in here may want.  I hope you can understand.  Thank you again for your passion and interest in what we're doing.  I can't wait for people to play Amico!

• Like 1

I just wish he'd stop worrying so much about the appeasment angle.  You can't please all of the people some of the time, but you can please some of the people all of the time.   Just drop the defensive stance. It's a good product that will have it's place...when/if it ever comes to market.

As for the console.  I hope they have something better than just some spliced game footage with super-hyped positive opinions. I really would like to see some new game titles.  Updates on titles that were suggested/promised.  Stuff we just haven't seen before to stoke the flame again and getting it going.   I'm happy to wait for a good product, for a product that will last....but I'm facing reality here that I'm playing a system I got for Christmas 40 years ago this year...I doubt I'll be playing the Amico 40 years from now unless I live past 80.  

Time is a wasting....

Edited by IMBerzerk

You know, I'm actually coming around to Mr_Me's way of thinking on this.  If they aren't ready to launch, if everything is delayed, I don't think they should be putting anything out until they are launch capable.  I think they are hitting the point of diminishing returns with their marketing, based on the youtube views vs. the "anti amico" you tube view counts, the comments they are getting, and the "groundhog's day" style of many of their current updates.  Why use new footage if systems are 6 months off?  

If I was in their position, I would stop with the roadshows, in progress videos, etc.  Get everything sorted out and lay low- than do a big blast like 6 months from now (or whenever they are ready) to re debut the system, with a "see you in a month!" message at the end or something.  At this point that may be their best bet.

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Like 2

If they want new investments (which is a hard ask I think), they need to show some progress.  Otherwise people are going to lose confidence...which we are already seeing.  So I think they need to show quite a bit really.

• Like 1

I'll pre-order it tomorrow if if a Masters of the Universe game in this style gets done. This can easily be a single player game or a 4 player beat em up.

I don't think I'm asking alot.

I really dont want this to fail. I was in when announced.

I'm out after seeing the games.

4 hours ago, sn8k said:

If this is too violent for Amico...... this thing is beyond saving.

I mean it's got Earthworm Jim which is suppose to be one of the flagship titles and that game has reckless gun violence and grotesque Ren & Stimpy style humor. (Heck, the original commercial from 1994 received complaints from disgusted viewers and it ended up getting pulled in some parts of the US back in the day)

I was in too when this was first announced and I heard about Earthworm Jim.

At $250 I myself need to see more beyond jazzed up Intellivison/Atari classics and jazzed up mobile games.

Keeping an open mind and holding out hope, i'm way more on the fence then I was previously and losing hope as time goes on. I still think that GTO Red colored console looks super cool.

More SNES/Sega Genesis style platformers would definitely reignite my interest and make me excited again.

Edited by Pink

2 hours ago, Pink said:

More SNES/Sega Genesis style platformers would definitely reignite my interest and make me excited again

This is exactly what I'm saying. And you and me are not the first to say it.

Everyone thought VCS was the joke. Well now the thing is real. You can play Xbox Series X games on it and a whole bunch of other xbox related stuff through GamePass. It's upgradeable.  Amico plays 6 year old flash games?

Are they for real with this shit? The 2 best looking games.... Earthworm Jim and the spiritual successor to Ecco aren't even gonna drop when this thing finally does.

4 hours ago, sn8k said:

You can play Xbox Series X games on it

On 10/2/2021 at 10:02 PM, sn8k said:

Everyone thought VCS was the joke. Well now the thing is real. You can play Xbox Series X games on it and a whole bunch of other xbox related stuff through GamePass. It's upgradeable.  Amico plays 6 year old flash games?

Are they for real with this shit? The 2 best looking games.... Earthworm Jim and the spiritual successor to Ecco aren't even gonna drop when this thing finally does.

As it stands, I am completely on the fence though that very well could change and i'm still erring on the side of being cautiously optimistic (Though I will admit that i've been losing hope as time goes on) That being said I also understand this isn't completely targeted towards people like me I am completely ok with that (There are plenty of other consoles out there afterall, it's super easy to find something that will satisfy myself) Tommy and the gang have made it clear who they're targeting and marketing this towards. Whether or not they end up successful that remains to be seen, but with that being said i'm not most definitely going to start swearing about it, or becoming hostile over it. And even if it turns out to be something i'm personally not interested in, i'm most definitely going to wish them the best of luck and not root for this to fail or be all negative over it.

Edited by Pink
  • Confused 1

They need more games. 

Or they will die.

Case closed.

This has been true for EVERY SINGLE CONSOLE BEFORE IT. 

There is nothing special about this to shoot itself in the foot willingly. 

• Like 3