Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Steven Pendleton

VGA boxes

Recommended Posts

Today I ordered a "cheap" Sega VGA box that I managed to find on Surugaya's website, as I have heard that this remains the best VGA box for the system. Anybody tried any other VGA boxes or compared them to the Sega one? I've seen Digital Foundry's comparison and the Sega one seems the best out of those, but there are a lot more VGA boxes out there and I am looking for the best no-cut option available, which means no DCDigital for me.

 

My monitor does have a VGA input, so I'll try it with both that and the OSSC. I'd basically retired the OSSC after getting the RetroTINK, but I specifically kept it in case I got a VGA box for Dreamcast, so I'll definitely be sure to try it to see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only VGA solutions I've had in the past were the Tomee branded VGA cable. It worked well, but I had some odd thing going on where when I used it, I was getting sections on the upper portion of the screen that were light grey instead of black. But it was only on the borders outside of the actual picture display from the DC? Kinda hard to explain. Might be more an issue with the OSSC vs the TV but anyway. The other VGA cable was some generic looking thing that I've had for nearly 20 years. Just has a generic Dreamcast VGA sticker on the top of the box that is inline on the cable. It actually produces better results than the Tomee cable, but it didn't have audio RCA jacks on it like the Tomee cable so I had to use additional adapters etc. to get audio output. 

 

Oh wow, I just found an old article review on the older cable I was just talking about. Apparently it was available through racketboy back in the day. I got mine for free from a vendor that was getting out of selling DC stuff in the early 2000s.

 

http://gamingthroughtheages.blogspot.com/2011/04/review-dreamcast-vga-adapter.html

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Only VGA solutions I've had in the past were the Tomee branded VGA cable. It worked well, but I had some odd thing going on where when I used it, I was getting sections on the upper portion of the screen that were light grey instead of black. But it was only on the borders outside of the actual picture display from the DC? Kinda hard to explain. Might be more an issue with the OSSC vs the TV but anyway. The other VGA cable was some generic looking thing that I've had for nearly 20 years. Just has a generic Dreamcast VGA sticker on the top of the box that is inline on the cable. It actually produces better results than the Tomee cable, but it didn't have audio RCA jacks on it like the Tomee cable so I had to use additional adapters etc. to get audio output. 

 

Oh wow, I just found an old article review on the older cable I was just talking about. Apparently it was available through racketboy back in the day. I got mine for free from a vendor that was getting out of selling DC stuff in the early 2000s.

 

http://gamingthroughtheages.blogspot.com/2011/04/review-dreamcast-vga-adapter.html

 

 

That sounds really weird. The OSSC has a DTV setting that you can use with the Dreamcast to correct the aspect ratio and stuff, but I'm not sure if it would fix that specific issue. I just now realized that I have no idea where I put my VGA cables. I should probably go look for them before my VGA box arrives...

 

Anyway, I've recently become rather annoyed with the Akura because it's starting to become less reliable. Now sometimes I will turn my Dreamcast on and get static just like the kind you'd see on a CRT for some reason, so I have to unplug it and plug it in again while the Dreamcast is on to get it to work. What a pile of junk. That's partially why I'm moving to VGA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, it seems that my Akura doesn't want to give me anything but static. lol screw this piece of trash. Surugaya finally shipped my VGA box today, but it unfortunately looks like I'll have to finish Sakura Taisen using S-video this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I switch the OSSC to DTV mode, then I lose my audio input for that input source. So I have to leave all of that as HDMI even though I'm not using that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If I switch the OSSC to DTV mode, then I lose my audio input for that input source. So I have to leave all of that as HDMI even though I'm not using that.

 

I'm confused... OSSC in DTV mode gives you no audio so you leave it in HDMI? I wasn't aware of the OSSC having any other outputs other than HDMI...

 

Should I get a VGA cable with a 3.5mm audio thing? I don't have one of those, but they are easy to get. I suppose I can also just use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm from the VGA box to the OSSC, as I do have a ton of those in my house.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does only have HDMI output, but there is a setting to put it into DVI mode. I think that is for use with an adapter or something perhaps? Not messed with it other than leaving it in that mode once and wondering why the heck I wasn't getting any audio from whatever I was trying to use at the time.

 

And yes, I actually use a RCA stereo to 3.5mm cable from my Extron to the OSSC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It does only have HDMI output, but there is a setting to put it into DVI mode. I think that is for use with an adapter or something perhaps? Not messed with it other than leaving it in that mode once and wondering why the heck I wasn't getting any audio from whatever I was trying to use at the time.

 

And yes, I actually use a RCA stereo to 3.5mm cable from my Extron to the OSSC.

 

Alright, I will try the 3.5mm audio cable with the VGA box's 3.5mm audio out and the OSSC's 3.5mm audio input if I don't get any sound. Still waiting for the VGA box, so hopefully it gets here soon. I hope my monitor likes the DTV mode on the OSSC. It hates the special PSP mode and the 5x line multiply mode and neither of those work, so hopefully the DTV mode works. If not, I suppose I will have to use the VGA input on my monitor.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@-^CrossBow^- So I feel like a fool for asking this, but I just got my VGA box and it works fine on my monitor, although I don't get audio without the 3.5mm cable plugged in, but I get absolutely nothing on the OSSC. Am I missing something here?

 

3 seconds later, I fixed it. Disregard lol

 

Alright, disregard the disregard. No audio even with the 3.5mm plugged in. Any audio settings I should have the OSSC set to?

 

lol fixed it. Wrong audio input...

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never tried a VGA box.. Just a VGA cable, which I run into an OSSC. Does the box work better or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

I've never tried a VGA box.. Just a VGA cable, which I run into an OSSC. Does the box work better or something?

The official Sega VGA box is supposedly the single best analog solution for Dreamcast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You kind of have to be lucky, but if you are, you can find them for okay prices. I bought mine for 7500 yen, which is still cheaper than the most expensive Beharbros VGA box but still superior from what I have seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...