IGNORED

Anyone heard of the music software ClipTracker XE by Visionnaire Software (UK company, circa 1995)?

Beeblebrox

I am building up to going through all the disks I've extracted from my attic. (Massive task, there are hundreds, commercial, my own, disk magazines, etc etc.);-)

Incidentally I am aware of the software preservation topic threads and as soon as I get underway and also look into how I create ATRs I'll start to convert the disks that still work using my 1050 drives and SIO2PC. (Just been too busy to date to look at all the info around creating ATRs, RespeQt, SIDE3, etc.)

One of the discs I bought in the 1990s and just pulled out is Clip Tracker XE by Visionnaire Software 1995, a UK company. A music tracker for 128k, supports up to 256K ram upgrades and stereo output. I have a very vague memory of it back in the mists of time. ;)

I've not tried to boot it up as the disc surface appears to have some debris, (discolouration/mould?), on it and until I look into whether it'll damage the disc or my drive head if I do attempt to read it, I'd rather leave it. (As I say I need to devote some time to looking on AA for exisiting advice and plan to, especially as I think this won't be the only disk that has succumb to it).

I tried Googling, looking on AA and also AtariOnline.pl music utilities list for info about it but couldn't find anything. Anyone know anything about it?  I presume it can deal with digitised samples?? 

Just curious.:ponder:

image.thumb.png.97ace785c6b836ab7bee2aff3537d71c.png    image.thumb.png.f3b030b1996392e336ef1d2fda00f3a0.pngimage.thumb.png.7f76ecd7a2681f2211262dad42db9225.png     

Visionaire Software is/was Richard Gore from the UK. There is not much info about this very late release, but author Andy Guillaume writes this about it in Page 6/NAU issue 75:

"My latest software release, CLIP-TRACKER XE, is an updated sample sequencer that uses bank switching to give 64K for samples on a 130XE. Up to 192K of banks are supported on expanded machines - as are Stereo upgrades if fitted" 

Source: https://archive.org/details/New_Atari_User_Issue_075_1996-01_Page_6_Publishing/page/n11/mode/2up

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

when a disk has such discoloration and mold you can carefully clean it as outlined numerous times on here on AA and use a double sided drive to get the contents of the disk (two heads are smooth and prevents damage)... using a standard single sided drive might end up with a dirty or clogged pressure pad (rabbits fur, collect the loose material and can damage the disk and future disks)

Edited by _The Doctor__

18 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

when a disk has such discoloration and mold you can carefully clean it as outlined numerous times on here on AA and use a double sided drive to get the contents of the disk (two heads are smooth and prevents damage)... using a standard single sided drive might end up with a dirty or clogged pressure pad (rabbits fur, collect the loose material and can damage the disk and future disks)

@_The Doctor__   thanks for the heads up. (I figured it has been covered in a thread ...or ten over the years!  :). As mentioned earlier I've not as yet been in a position to start to research or undertake any restoration until now. ) Later this week or next weekend I'll have a good scour of AA and bone up on everything. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

as soon as I get underway and also look into how I create ATRs I'll start to convert the disks that still work using my 1050 drives and SIO2PC.

If you dump these old and fragile disks with a 1050, bad sectors will cause the drive to many retries which will cause heavy load on the floppy and the drive.

Try to find somebody nearby to your location with a dedicated dumping device (SCP, Kryoflux, Greaseweazle, ...) which will solve this problem.

Not to speak of protected disks which you cannot successfully dump using only a 1050 drive.

10 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

If you dump these old and fragile disks with a 1050, bad sectors will cause the drive to many retries which will cause heavy load on the floppy and the drive.

Try to find somebody nearby to your location with a dedicated dumping device (SCP, Kryoflux, Greaseweazle, ...) which will solve this problem.

Not to speak of protected disks which you cannot successfully dump using only a 1050 drive.

@DjayBee  heh heh Dedicated Dumping Device (D.D.D). I like it - rather describes my cat!:lolblue:

Thanks for the advice. As I say I'll do my research before I start anything. I am not sure in reality finding anyone near me in the South East of England will be feasible but it is an option. 

FYI I have a Happy clone 1050 and also soon will have a real Happy Drive (Happy v7). Might make a difference re copying. (Dunno).:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

I have a Happy clone 1050 and also soon will have a real Happy Drive (Happy v7). Might make a difference re copying. (Dunno).

Using RespeQt 5.x this might work. Some people succeeded, others failed in trying.

@Zarxx has the needed equipment and is located in the UK but I do not know in which part of the country.

@Mclaneinc also might know somebody who is able to dump stuff.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Using RespeQt 5.x this might work. Some people succeeded, others failed in trying.

@Zarxx has the needed equipment and is located in the UK but I do not know in which part of the country.

Wish I did, sadly not..

4 hours ago, DjayBee said:

4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Wish I did, sadly not..

I'm in London, can do Greaseweazle dumps and would be happy to help. I knocked the Greaseweazle together earlier this year when I found my PC 5.25" and 3.25" drives in the loft. Works a treat! @Mclaneinc can provide a character reference! :) 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cwc said:

I'm in London, can do Greaseweazle dumps and would be happy to help. I knocked the Greaseweazle together earlier this year when I found my PC 5.25" and 3.25" drives in the loft. Works a treat! @Mclaneinc can provide a character reference! :) 

@cwc  thanks. Once I get going and if I come across any issues I'll drop you a line. I am juggling a lot at the mo outside of Atari realm. :thumbsup:

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2