IGNORED

Atari ST related scam reporte on atari-forum

ijor

It's sad to hear that the guy was scammed, but he sent a large chunk of money to somebody with a zero post count. The only way I'd ever trust somebody from forums would be if it was an established member, and with transactions over ~100 USD I'd definitely require a bit more proof/protection anyway.

• Like 1

I'm sorry that someone got scammed, and he certainly didn't deserve it, but sometimes common sense has to come into play. There's a lot of truth to the old proverb "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Thank you for posting. Everyone be aware and use common sense in all of your online dealings.

• Like 1

I have bought many Atari upgrades over the years -- mostly from small businesses and makers overseas and have had no problems -- the community as a whole is very honest and trusting so seeing a story like this really hurts.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:11 AM, youxia said:

It's sad to hear that the guy was scammed, but he sent a large chunk of money to somebody with a zero post count. The only way I'd ever trust somebody from forums would be if it was an established member, and with transactions over ~100 USD I'd definitely require a bit more proof/protection anyway.

youxia, is there a dedicated area of AtariAge for transactions that I am not aware of?

I distinctly remember a user-name on a certain well known auction website around 1999 took my money for a boxed mint (well pics were) Amiga 1000 from the USA but never send it.

Not only do I not pay for things without paypal BUT I also never gift anybody a paypal payment 'to reduce fees' and insist on a detailed paypal invoice from the seller. If the fees are a problem I would pay the extra via this method.

Surprised more people don't get ripped off on forums lol I guess most people are sceptical of a bargain or 'final piece to my collection' type situation.