IGNORED

Should I unplug unused 1050 drive from SIO?

sm3

So I'm a part-time Atari 8-bit user. In the Commodore world, if you have disk drives in the chain connected that are not turned on, you are supposed to unplug the serial connection.  

Is this the same with an Atari 8-bit as well?

I usually use SIO2PC and have it running through my 1050 drive, which I admit, is not always turned on.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

It should not be a problem.   The SIO lines are typically wired through the devices.  Think of your devices as just wire taps.

Alright, thanks for the confirmation. I’ve been doing this with both the 1050 and 810 so thought I should ask.

Interesting @Sugarland -- what model computer was this with and what was the USB device (Lotharetk, Atarimax, etc.)?  There used to be a fairly common problem with some SIO2PC devices at the end of a chain.  But AFAIK, this was only with the serial version and only with one IC -- the original 1489 (not Max 232 nor 14C89).  I had this issue myself.

Yeah, I'm using the SIO2PC USB version. I haven't had any issues doing what I'm doing, just wanted to check and see if it was OK. I usually only have one real powered off drive in the chain of my setup (1050 or 810) depending on if I'm using my 800XL or 800.

18 hours ago, Larry said:

Interesting @Sugarland -- what model computer was this with and what was the USB device (Lotharetk, Atarimax, etc.)?  There used to be a fairly common problem with some SIO2PC devices at the end of a chain.  But AFAIK, this was only with the serial version and only with one IC -- the original 1489 (not Max 232 nor 14C89).  I had this issue myself.

A fully stock 130XE. The SIO2PC-USB is one I got in about 2015 from Lotharek. It has one IC that has "FTDI 1533-C   4905901   FT232RQ"  The FT might be ET but I think it's FT.