IGNORED

Black Widow: Recharged (in VCS Store)

SabertoothRetro

11 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Here's an early gameplay video of the Switch version for those interested. It looks pretty cool! 

its a little early to judge.

but so far the gameplay looks similar to the original.

since there are no waves, the barriers come and go.

----------------------------------------------------------

i think the game is unbalanced, since you can die once, and thats it, like the other games.

even with the power ups, you can die instantly since they can spawn right near or on you.

so you cant really get a good game going, and it will end very quickly.

the challenges are a nice touch.

----

i prefer the original over this, but i will still get this to support them.

later

9 hours ago, negative1 said:

i think the game is unbalanced, since you can die once, and thats it, like the other games.

even with the power ups, you can die instantly since they can spawn right near or on you.

so you cant really get a good game going, and it will end very quickly.

I agree about the lack of lives. I understand the developer's thinking, but in my opinion, he's wrong.
In the arcade, a <continue> was also sometimes possible, just by dropping another coin in the slot.

Now, multiple lives on the VCS versions, that would be a nice feature, rather than just bonus levels etc..
I have not completed the challenge levels on Centipede: Recharged on my VCS yet, (lack of time/skill),
so I've not seen the 10 extra VCS exclusive levels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justclaws said:

I agree about the lack of lives. I understand the developer's thinking, but in my opinion, he's wrong.
In the arcade, a <continue> was also sometimes possible, just by dropping another coin in the slot.

Now, multiple lives on the VCS versions, that would be a nice feature, rather than just bonus levels etc..
I have not completed the challenge levels on Centipede: Recharged on my VCS yet, (lack of time/skill),
so I've not seen the 10 extra VCS exclusive levels.

this is not a mobile game.

missile command recharged was.

so why make it one life.

pac man 256 was a mobile game, 1 life (and one continue).

centipede recharged was not a mobile game, and neither is this. (or least the main target isn't).

so limiting lives hinders the games.

a lot of people will play it for awhle, max out at a point, and stop playing it after they get through the challenges and achievements.

there is no longevity to master the game like the originals.

i'm still playing the original black widow, as it gets hard after the 400k mark.

later

Edited by negative1

I agree on the one life per game thing. It makes it fairly easy to "bounce" from the game because unless I am able to get progressively better it ends up feeling like wasted time. I am struggling to beat my 31100 score, and having to start from zero every time is fairly frustrating. Otherwise I like the game a lot though.

In co-op you can bring back your partner through a heart powerup; I'd be down for that being possible in single player as well.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I agree on the one life per game thing. It makes it fairly easy to "bounce" from the game because unless I am able to get progressively better it ends up feeling like wasted time. I am struggling to beat my 31100 score, and having to start from zero every time is fairly frustrating. Otherwise I like the game a lot though.

In co-op you can bring back your partner through a heart powerup; I'd be down for that being possible in single player as well.

the leaderboards are pointless, because its just who gets the luckiest with one life.

later

Edited by negative1

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

I'm on the fence.  It looks neat but the 'you get one life' mechanic takes me out of the game pretty quick.  We'll see, I guess.  lol

I also really don't like the one life thing. I'd love at least a <continue>.

However, the VCS version has some exclusive options the others don't.

- Support for the VCS Classic joystick and spinner function.
- Support for TWO VCS Classic joysticks for twin stick action.
- Extra challenges exclusive to the VCS.

• Like 3

Great game I’ve been playing it on my VCS all morning, didn’t expect it out untill Friday!. I really don’t mind 1 life only with this game for some reason, but it annoyed the hell out of me with Centipede Recharged but for some reason I’m ok with it on this game. I’m really impressed with the game so far looks great and plays amazing on the VCS it’s dangerously addictive it’s been one last try over and over and now I’m behind on my day lol think I’ll just be sticking to the VCS version as if I pick this up on Switch for the portability I’ll never get anything done. 

• Like 2

Yes, it took me by surprise today too, as I thought they said it was out on the 29th.
I've been playing the VCS special controller schemes.
- The single Classic joystick with spinner works surprising well. A really cool feature, that.
- I've tried with 2 Classic joysticks, and that works well too, but I can't coordinate it yet.
The game runs really well, but gosh, I'd love more than one life.

• Like 2

I'm digging this so far. I have really grown to love single life score attack over the last year - mainly due to Antstream tournaments and challenges. I appreciate the "live, die, retry" design philosophy they are going for. For me, the game ramps up quickly enough that retrying from go isn't boring.

That said, I do get the criticism. It might have been cool for Atari to have included a "classic arcade" option with three lives and clear wave progression to satisfy OG fans. 

As an aside, I have only seen one color palette change so far. I wonder if they are score based or time based. It was around 3,500 points. My high is just under 6k now. This is a hard game! 

• Like 2

Just got this on Steam, and as with the other games in the Recharged series, enjoying it. 

But is there any guide for enemies, power ups, or how to use the PC controller for power ups and special weapons? I saw one review online where someone said after much searching they finally found a controller guide for switch (then didn't provide a link). 

Even when I like modern games, I hate modern gaming... 

Edited by doug0909
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, doug0909 said:

Just got this on Steam, and as with the other games in the Recharged series, enjoying it. 

But is there any guide for enemies, power ups, or how to use the PC controller for power ups and special weapons? I saw one review online where someone said after much searching they finally found a controller guide for switch (then didn't provide a link). 

Even when I like modern games, I hate modern gaming... 

The powerups happen when you kill the bugs that drop them, and then you get the special weapon for a certain period of time as marked by an outline on the screen that shrinks. For the web blast, it should be one of the top buttons on the controller, probably L1 or L2.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2021 at 8:57 AM, justclaws said:

Yes, it took me by surprise today too, as I thought they said it was out on the 29th.
I've been playing the VCS special controller schemes.
- The single Classic joystick with spinner works surprising well. A really cool feature, that.
- I've tried with 2 Classic joysticks, and that works well too, but I can't coordinate it yet.
The game runs really well, but gosh, I'd love more than one life.

Well now I need to get a second joystick...

• Like 1

i got it yesterday, and played for awhile.

the main game is too short, as i said. there is no point in trying to improve.

the AI will just kill you by spawning right behind your or on near you, and your game is over.

i played it a few times and probably won't play it again.

the challenges are great, and thats what the game should have been,

but those are locked, and so unless you get through them, you won't see the rest.

not really worth the money, same like centipede, unless you really like the originals, and really like short games.

i would rate it 2/5 stars, just for the challenges.

later

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I happen to like the single life, arcade attack approach. Enemies do not "respawn" next to you. This is much more balanced than Centipede and if you put the time in - even without the safety net of multiple lives or ability to earn extras - you should be able to clear all challenges and get into double digits. I personally like this more than the original. To each their own. 

• Like 3