IGNORED

Replacement battery for Atgames genesis handheld?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/20/2021 at 1:00 PM, towmater said:

Backtracking, the batts of the same model number on Amazon look physically different, sorry. Now I need to find one as well.

Found one battery could work. Canon NB-5L.  The size is smaller and thicker, but the contacts fits perfect.  I found this in one of the comments on this page.

Some foam pieces solved the size problem. 

https://www.instructables.com/Upgrade-an-ATGAMES-Sega-Genesis-Portable-Battery-W/

Edited by minmao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

On 11/26/2021 at 5:40 PM, minmao said:

Found one battery could work. Canon NB-5L.  The size is smaller and thicker, but the contacts fits perfect.  I found this in one of the comments on this page.

Some foam pieces solved the size problem. 

https://www.instructables.com/Upgrade-an-ATGAMES-Sega-Genesis-Portable-Battery-W/

It's a shame the original battery replacements are not available.  The batteries in that post are $35 when I looked them up, almost as much as I paid for the portable itself! I have 2 Sega portables and one atari. One of the Sega ones the battery was swollen and had to go. The Atari one appears it might be at the start of that process. 

On 4/27/2022 at 11:56 AM, envytomdead2 said:

It's a shame the original battery replacements are not available.  The batteries in that post are $35 when I looked them up, almost as much as I paid for the portable itself! I have 2 Sega portables and one atari. One of the Sega ones the battery was swollen and had to go. The Atari one appears it might be at the start of that process. 

I bought two from Amazon for about 10 bucks. Just search NB-5L.

I used a battery made for Samsung digital cameras.  Search ebay or Amazon for SLB-10A.  The battery is a little small for the atgames genesis battery compartment, but can be padded on the end and sides to help hold it in place.  I used a bit of cut packing foam.  The important part is that the contacts line up correctly.  They sell for around $7 to $10 USD.

I read somewhere online (forget where) years ago someone claiming that the game unit will drain the battery too low to the point of destruction.  Being a cheap design, it lacks any protection to keep this from happening.  No idea if this is true, but I have since stored mine with the battery removed.

SLB-10A-bat4atgames.jpg

18 hours ago, RodLightning said:

I read somewhere online (forget where) years ago someone claiming that the game unit will drain the battery too low to the point of destruction.  Being a cheap design, it lacks any protection to keep this from happening.  No idea if this is true, but I have since stored mine with the battery removed.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's true. These batteries seem to go fast. 

Here's a picture of mine, with a SLB-10A camera battery installed.  The block of packing foam is wrapped in green tape and wedged behind the battery.  There are three contacts on the other end that are springy enough to keep the battery in place.  When the back is on it and screwed down, it all holds together well.

GenPortableBatt6x4.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RodLightning said:

Here's a picture of mine, with a SLB-10A camera battery installed.  The block of packing foam is wrapped in green tape and wedged behind the battery.  There are three contacts on the other end that are springy enough to keep the battery in place.  When the back is on it and screwed down, it all holds together well.

GenPortableBatt6x4.jpg

Nice, thanks for the info.