IGNORED

'Thumby' ~$20 micro-handheld kickstarter

Reaperman

Tiny circuits has a new kickstarter for an inexpensive handheld called Thumby.  It follows the Cybiko business model of having its users make most of the games, and the IDE is already up (here). I like small things, and the $19+5 shipping is in my impulse-buy territory, so they suckered me in.  They seem to have a history of tiny electronics kits, but I'd never heard of them before.

I actually heard about it when youtube seemingly randomly recommended me this:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the trick would be to create games that use one or two buttons at most or don't need any reaction time.

Anything that requires precision and timing would be a waste on that device.

On 10/12/2021 at 5:32 PM, Reaperman said:

I've got a little dot-racing game that might work okay on it

That would be fun to see working out! Though I do see a problem using the d-pad for steering.. maybe A for gas and left-right to steer could work?

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

Forgive me for being cynical, but how is thing actually PLAYABLE?

The screen is tiny.  The controls are miniscule.

What is the point of this?  

It's a small thing to goof with, and priced low enough for a quick laugh--and I'm pretty sure that's the start and end of it.

Sometimes having limitations can be oddly freeing, as it's less to think about. I think that's the reason the 'Basic ten-liner' contests are so popular. It's more about discovering what fun can happen within strict limitations --that was my hope with thumby anyway. 

Assuming thumby doesn't have a USB host, I'd tentatively planned on hacking in a neo geo joystick port for extra comic effect. My hands might not be steady enough, for this one, though.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 6:22 PM, Leonard Smith said:

Forgive me for being cynical, but how is thing actually PLAYABLE?

The screen is tiny.  The controls are miniscule.

What is the point of this?  

I almost beat GG Aleste II on a micro-sized Sega Game Gear. I personally want to see if I can succeed at something even smaller.

• Like 1

I got my thumby today, and holy jeez is it small. actuation the d-pad does work, but it takes thought and deliberate coordination.

It's got a bunch of games built in.  I very briefly tried the tetris-em-up and the dungeon crawler. Tetris didn't handle half bad, but on the dungeon crawler I kept walking in unintended directions until I started using my fingernail on the d-pad.

Will try more later, it's a busy time.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...