IGNORED

TL866II Plus Question

Shift838

I think i read somewhere the TL866II Plus programmer can also test logic IC's like the 74LS series.  I know there are IC testers out there that will test those but they are limited to the less complicated logic circuits and do not test ICs like 74LS244, 245, 251, 259, etc..

Anyone know the answer to this, and if it does has anyone tried it and verified it really does work?

The logic testing functionality of the TL866II+ has been improved during the last few software releases and it supports a lot of chips now - Not only trivial gates, but also flipflops, buffers, decoders and the like.  The tests are still limited in that they disregard timing and many test vectors are simplistic (i.e. they don't exercise stateful components thoroughly), but I find them useful for quickly checking unknown chips.  It is important, however, to not totally rely on the device (i.e. to expect false positives or negatives).

Have a look at CuriousMarc's video, in which he compares the TL866II+ with the Tauntek Logic Chip Tester - The latter being a low-cost DIY tester that only tests logic chips, but does that very well.

• Like 1

I did find a few videos of logic chips being tested 

Programmers Whooo! - Part 6 XGecu TL866ii - YouTube (logic testing starts at 7:25 - does a test on a 74LS245 too!)

Testing Logic Chips using a TL866 Programmer - YouTube

TL866 Programmer - Testing logic chips - STB254 - YouTube

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hey, I have one of these on the way, and was thinking about getting my machine ready; install the software...

But Windows/Chrome won't let me download the latest version (11.6) from the autoelectric website...

Any thoughts on this?  Is the software there not safe or is this a false positive?

Is there a safe site or version for this?

I'm in no rush, as it I only recently ordered, but just wondering...

Thanx

1 hour ago, atrax27407 said:

It is a false positive. Chrome doesn't like zip-type files with an included .chm file. Can you bypass the virus check somehow? Might be a size problem as well. Here is Vn 11.60 - enjoy!

Thanx, had to DL with Edge and disable my Windows Defender Real Time...  
(it is re-enabled now, and I am rescanning with Trend Housecall just to be safe..)  ;-) 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:53 PM, Shift838 said:

I think i read somewhere the TL866II Plus programmer can also test logic IC's like the 74LS series.  I know there are IC testers out there that will test those but they are limited to the less complicated logic circuits and do not test ICs like 74LS244, 245, 251, 259, etc..

Anyone know the answer to this, and if it does has anyone tried it and verified it really does work?

I used the TL866 for logic testing my bad chip pile (still fail)

I also made my own PLD test , exercising all the states. 

Im disappointed that you have to use the clunky interface to enter your own test vectors. The file format is binary instead of text. 

• Like 1

>I also made my own PLD test , exercising all the states. 

So in theory (not that someone will go through all the work)... A test could be created that would test the programmable logic used on newer 99/4a motherboards (QI)?

Or easier to test a programmed pal for the myarc diskette controller to see if it's bad?