IGNORED

800 Cartridge Door Problems.

DavidMil

This is something that I have never come across before.  I bought a 800 (case only), and when I took the 800 shell out I found that the cartridge cover would not open.

I assumed that it was frozen from age so I removed the metal plate from the cover but discovered that the cartridge door was simply too tight of a fit and could not be

opened.  Even with the springs off there was no space tolerance for the door to open.  Does anyone know if they made variations of the top cartridge and RAM covers?

Judging from the evenly yellowed (and dirty) top pieces, I don't think that these are remade or parts.

DavidMil     

Top.JPG

Inside.JPG

34 minutes ago, DavidMil said:

May be an old question, but it's still cute!  I'm convinced that only blue jeans and pull over shirts shrink (couldn't be me getting rounder?)

in the washer!

David

Ha ha... I fear the roundness may be the culprit... It is here, lost loads and slowly built it back up..

Good luck with the door, sounds like you may need to shave the sides a little...

• Like 1

This sounds like something was stacked on top of it and heat plus pressure over time deformed it causing it to bind and stick..

The solution I've use on other projects (including clear percom disk drive doors) was to gently apply pressure from the opposite directions of deformity and utilizing uniform gentle heating to let it return to original shape... then I used plastic safe lubricants/drawer wax depending on the binding situation to allow the parts to slide by each other and move freely. That includes hinges and latches.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DavidMil said:

This is something that I have never come across before. (...)

Inside.JPG

Other that the right-side hinge being misaligned, I can't really see the problem (from lookin at the pictures). 

It would be great to see a side / transversal shot from any troubled side, to understand how the cart-lid is attached to its hinges and clearance with back-cover lip.

Alrighty!

Without looking at the proper angle-shots, there's little we can do.

Here's a 040 Cart+Bay cover (one with shield-plate on cart-door). and here's a 183 Cart+Bay cover (without shield on cart-door), head-to-head (in opposite sides of the temporal scale. production-wise):

EEFB0F58-924F-4F13-9FA6-5327699E6F5F.thumb.jpeg.dca885b21d8064a1f4ecfa676a5043c1.jpeg

B073B2DD-D511-4B79-82CB-A587CC490607.thumb.jpeg.236d2cd2981f9229576149a484f981a2.jpeg

79D2954B-EB60-47A4-9EB6-4995B506650A.thumb.jpeg.84388be4b94548582d9cdc407e809334.jpeg

As a whole-structure, these two are FULLY INTERCHANGEABLE between their respective hosts (which are both in mint condition).

The 040 original bay-shield has been delaminated (these ones come with a two-layer composite / laminate shield, which will partially separate or bulge with time, and expand in thickness, creating additional tension/stress to its x4 attachment beams).

The 183 original comes with single-plate back-cover shield (better built, but safely stored and replaced with a delaminated plate identical to 040 cover.)

Both cover units now allow safe extraction of IDC ribbon cables for multiple purposes (eg. PBI, Bit3, Sophia, etc,) without absolutely any modifications to the external 800 case, and  will perfectly fit on 040 and 183 800s.

I have not exchanged the CART DOORS between then, but I just can't see any difference between them, especially in the hinges and swivel-lip clearance either...

Again, these are units manufactured in very different time-frames, far apart.

We need sideways / upclose  pictures of the affected unit, to understand what is going on.

On 9/30/2021 at 12:18 PM, bob1200xl said:

There are two versions of that cover. The old one will have foam tape holding the cover shields in place, where the 'new' ones have no foam and no shields. They do not seem to interchange easily.

Like, not at all...

Bob

No foam tape and it doesn't look like there was ever any metal shield on the 'door'.  The problem was that the back side edge of the door lined up perfectly with

the forward side of the edge of the cover, thus making it impossible to raise the door, but allowing it to be lowered a little past it's regular stopping point.  The

whole thing has now been fixed by sanding off the tiniest amount of plastic from inside each hinge (from the top cover), and from the round barrel (part of the

door).  The springs keep everything good and tight, so it seem to work fine now.

David

On 9/30/2021 at 7:18 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

This sounds like something was stacked on top of it and heat plus pressure over time deformed it causing it to bind and stick..

The solution I've use on other projects (including clear percom disk drive doors) was to gently apply pressure from the opposite directions of deformity and utilizing uniform gentle heating to let it return to original shape... then I used plastic safe lubricants/drawer wax depending on the binding situation to allow the parts to slide by each other and move freely. That includes hinges and latches.

I was going to try heating it in the oven, but when my wife saw me going into the kitchen and I told her what I was going to put in her over; I changed my mind

after looking at her face.  Anyway all is well with an X-acto knife and a little sand paper.  Thanks for the idea.

David