IGNORED

Seeking advice on complete collection

Januz

Hi everyone,

first time poster, non-native speaker here; seeking for advice from the community. Thank you very much for your input!

I have a complete (see below) Jaguar collection and I am thinking about to sell the collection. Three questions for the community:

a) is it realistic and advisable to aim to sell the entire collection at once? (to one collector)

b) what are good places to place such an offer? (Ebay is obvious but there might be better places these days. I have not followed the Jag scene for about 20 years.)

c) any word on what amount (USD) I should aim for?

The collection is comprised of

- "papers" for Tiny Toon Adventures: copy of a developer contract for Tiny Toon Adventures, animation requests by Atari, a carbon copy of a cheque paid by Atari to the developer, copies of level design (partly original; not copies), and additional graphical pieces intended for the game (like characters, items, grids).

- all games up until the 2002-era. All excellent condition, about 20% is shrink-wrapped. All have box and manual as it was available at release. Some highlights: 2x Iron Soldier 2 CD (one shrink wrapped) and 1x Iron Soldier 2 Cart (also wrapped), 2x AirCars (one is semi wrapped), BrainDead 13 boxed, Towers 2 boxed.

- Hardware includes working base unit, CD-drive, Powerpad controller, Jag Box, memory track, team tab (all boxed except Jag Box which did not come boxed afaik).

Edited by Januz

IMO you'd have a hard time selling the lot all at once, especially with what the Jag games go for in 2021. You may get better prices selling on EBay however there are the fees and risk of a buyer complaining and trying to get a refund. There is also the Market on here but you'd want to provide references since you're new. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, madman said:

IMO you'd have a hard time selling the lot all at once, especially with what the Jag games go for in 2021. You may get better prices selling on EBay however there are the fees and risk of a buyer complaining and trying to get a refund. There is also the Market on here but you'd want to provide references since you're new. 

Thank you, appreciate the input.

It's a trade-off.  You can try to sell the whole thing as one lot, but you're going to have to settle for a lower overall price.  The lower your price, the more likely you are to find a buyer.  Or, you can sell items individually, and whatever doesn't sell after awhile you can lump together as an inexpensive lot.  You'll get much closer to "market value," but it's also a lot more work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

It's a trade-off.  You can try to sell the whole thing as one lot, but you're going to have to settle for a lower overall price.  The lower your price, the more likely you are to find a buyer.  Or, you can sell items individually, and whatever doesn't sell after awhile you can lump together as an inexpensive lot.  You'll get much closer to "market value," but it's also a lot more work.

Thank you! Yeah so probably best to sell off individually. Any word on where to sell best? Only ebay comes to my mind but frankly I want to avoid them. Are there other, maybe specialized auction sites/marketplaces that anyone could recommend/point out? Thanks again

14 hours ago, Januz said:

Thank you! Yeah so probably best to sell off individually. Any word on where to sell best? Only ebay comes to my mind but frankly I want to avoid them. Are there other, maybe specialized auction sites/marketplaces that anyone could recommend/point out? Thanks again

I used to sell via ebay with great success, but once they required a credit card on file I refused to sell through them anymore.  I don't sell stuff often, but recently I've had great luck with Facebook Marketplace, local pickup only.  Of course this limits you to the market within driving distance.  But you can always start there and branch out if you don't have many results.

I've recently sold most my duplicates on ebay, shipping is easy as they will give you a qr code, just take to post office in a box and send, their are fees, but it's the least hassle way of selling list for a week if it doesn't sell then eBay will lower asking bid and start over next week the suggestion is list fri, you'll get 2 weekends, most bids won't come till last minute.

Everything Jaguar sells within at least 2 weeks.

I've heard horror stories of refund policy so selling a big expense lot may be dangerous. 

10 hours ago, Pete5125 said:

I've recently sold most my duplicates on ebay, shipping is easy as they will give you a qr code, just take to post office in a box and send, their are fees, but it's the least hassle way of selling list for a week if it doesn't sell then eBay will lower asking bid and start over next week the suggestion is list fri, you'll get 2 weekends, most bids won't come till last minute.

Everything Jaguar sells within at least 2 weeks.

I've heard horror stories of refund policy so selling a big expense lot may be dangerous. 

Appreciated! :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2021 at 7:15 AM, Januz said:

Hi everyone,

first time poster, non-native speaker here; seeking for advice from the community. Thank you very much for your input!

I have a complete (see below) Jaguar collection and I am thinking about to sell the collection. Three questions for the community:

a) is it realistic and advisable to aim to sell the entire collection at once? (to one collector)

b) what are good places to place such an offer? (Ebay is obvious but there might be better places these days. I have not followed the Jag scene for about 20 years.)

c) any word on what amount (USD) I should aim for?

The collection is comprised of

- "papers" for Tiny Toon Adventures: copy of a developer contract for Tiny Toon Adventures, animation requests by Atari, a carbon copy of a cheque paid by Atari to the developer, copies of level design (partly original; not copies), and additional graphical pieces intended for the game (like characters, items, grids).

- all games up until the 2002-era. All excellent condition, about 20% is shrink-wrapped. All have box and manual as it was available at release. Some highlights: 2x Iron Soldier 2 CD (one shrink wrapped) and 1x Iron Soldier 2 Cart (also wrapped), 2x AirCars (one is semi wrapped), BrainDead 13 boxed, Towers 2 boxed.

- Hardware includes working base unit, CD-drive, Powerpad controller, Jag Box, memory track, team tab (all boxed except Jag Box which did not come boxed afaik).

Do not sell the collection all at once, it will be significantly undervalued.

I just sold off about 4/5ths of my collection... which was essentially complete except for no GORF, and a fake Battlesphere (which was indicated). I ended up getting about ~$17,000 USD from the sales of the games. You can find that whole thread here:

And the original thread where I sold everything:

This was all this year, so you can kind of use my auctions list for an idea of what the games could possibly go for. The economy is a bit depressed for games right now; however, with inflation though... I expect you will probably do similar sales price points.

Also want to mention that with everything I sold, I STILL kept 34 Jaguar games, and just bought another one from Carl Forhan. So I'm not out of the "community" of interest, just came to the realization that I have no reason or "need" to own one of everything. I could come to no logical conclusion as to why I believed this made sense. I only kept the games I felt that I ever really wanted to play regularly, or would want to play again in the future.

EDIT: Just realized that I didn't update the statuses of all the games in the "Sales" thread. All of those games sold, and were shipped. All the buyers were happy. I only had one issue where someone bought a CD, but could not play it because they didn't have the needed support cartridge that allows the Jag CD to play burned CDs. But that wasn't something that I have any control over necessarily. It just means he would need to buy one of the Jaguar cart games that have that built in, like Protector or something.

Edited by 82-T/A

5 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I only had one issue where someone bought a CD, but could not play it because they didn't have the needed support cartridge that allows the Jag CD to play burned CDs. But that wasn't something that I have any control over necessarily. It just means he would need to buy one of the Jaguar cart games that have that built in, like Protector or something.

Or just burn a CD:

https://reboot.untergrund.net/new-reboot/jagtopia.html

I would say the bubble is about to burst with Jag, it only started climbing in value a few years ago with AVGN episodes, plus covid made the retro game scene explode add to that it hiting on a 30yr old machine, plus the gamedrive is going to slow demand down.

I know on the games I sold Rayman sold in round one to huge numbers, my more common titles like checkerd flag were more in the 10 to 15 range, also took a few weeks.

Just saying keeping as an invesent you will surely get burned... keeping them to smell the fumes because you have some sort of nostalgia for atari, then good deal, as it would be far to expensive entry at this point.

3 hours ago, Pete5125 said:

I would say the bubble is about to burst with Jag, it only started climbing in value a few years ago with AVGN episodes, plus covid made the retro game scene explode add to that it hiting on a 30yr old machine, plus the gamedrive is going to slow demand down.

I know on the games I sold Rayman sold in round one to huge numbers, my more common titles like checkerd flag were more in the 10 to 15 range, also took a few weeks.

Just saying keeping as an invesent you will surely get burned... keeping them to smell the fumes because you have some sort of nostalgia for atari, then good deal, as it would be far to expensive entry at this point.

It's hard to say, prices still keep climbing. I'm not sure what is drawing new fans to the system, anyone with Atari nostalgia likely got into the system years ago. Best and B&C seem to be moving their NOS systems at $700 or whatever they were last time I looked. Now is probably the time for me to sell my NIB Atari Karts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ls650 said:

I've thought of selling them, but then I'd lose my high scores!  ?

Yeah, it bothers me that all my "good" T2K scores are on a regular cart. Someone who knows how to code should really get to writing a BJL EEPROM dumper ;-) Then I could back them up to .e2p files and use them on the skunk and GD.

• Like 1

Speaking of EEPROM... Excuse my ignorance wrt this matter. Do these chips need batteries? I think some cartridges (Jaguar) have an on-board battery, is that correct? If yes, should collectors be worried about leakages from batteries given the age of the system? Prbly a topic for another thread...

On 10/26/2021 at 6:35 AM, madman said:

It's hard to say, prices still keep climbing. I'm not sure what is drawing new fans to the system, anyone with Atari nostalgia likely got into the system years ago. Best and B&C seem to be moving their NOS systems at $700 or whatever they were last time I looked. Now is probably the time for me to sell my NIB Atari Karts.

It's a hard delema $260 for a rare game I have 2 of, but I like having it as a collector and a completeist.  On one hand I would never spend over 80 bucks on a game, so I would never repurchase it.

My laserdisc collection had some value 10 years ago, now most if you can sell go for 4 bucks, and the user base has to be bigger for laser disc than Atari jaguar.