IGNORED

ABBUC Magazine 146

pps

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, emkay said:

Would this be interesting for the start?

Hi Emkay,

I love your commitment and enthusiasm to make music on the pokey, but I'm sorry to say I've been a musician since about the late 80's, some time starting on the Atari 8-bit but most of the time later on real synthesizers (Yamaha, Roland, Korg and more).

My skills were always good to mediocre, but my ears were and still are brilliant.

And so I must say , most of your arrangements make my ears bleed....

So please don't hit me for that, but please ask a friend or girlfriend,
to listen to your music before you release it.

I think you have a lot of interesting and good potential, keep it up!
But please test it BEFORE and release it only when it's ready for the masses.

Cheers and peace,

andY

Edited by andymanone
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, andymanone said:

Things are more different than you might think. 

There are several issues, why people like or don't like music. 

This is an old chip with it's limits. 

The point is that particular using that old hardware, the personal taste in music is the most important part to every listener.  

If I ask you, to determine what you like or not, the answer won't help either.

Like it or not. 

Some arrangement fits perfectly to the given possibilities, some will never fit. 

Form my side it's only about musical dependency . 

10 minutes ago, emkay said:

Things are more different than you might think. 

There are several issues, why people like or don't like music. 

This is an old chip with it's limits. 

The point is that particular using that old hardware, the personal taste in music is the most important part to every listener.  

If I ask you, to determine what you like or not, the answer won't help either.

Like it or not. 

Some arrangement fits perfectly to the given possibilities, some will never fit. 

Form my side it's only about musical dependency . 

In principle, I agree with you, but there are certain basic rules in harmony theory (which not every person is able to interpret) that cannot be ignored....

For instance, there are sometimes a couple of hits on the broadcast in the Top 10, but my ears are bleeding because they do not follow the basic rules of harmony.

Otherwise, I´m being an electronics and hardware engineer, I know that the POKEY has extreme limitations and cannot hit "the" notes in certain frequency ranges,

but professionals are able to work around this weakness, there are plenty of good examples of this on the pokey...

Cheers,

andY

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, andymanone said:

but professionals are able to work around this weakness, there are plenty of good examples of this on the pokey...

Well, that part ;)

I'd bet, every tune you like has some specific harmonic problems, but your taste in music allows it to be there.

Have  closer look at post #6.

At least for my position, I'm still at that point that people do arrangements that other people like, and to have another person checking for the musical correctness.  

7 minutes ago, emkay said:

Well, that part ;)

I'd bet, every tune you like has some specific harmonic problems, but your taste in music allows it to be there.

At least for my position, I'm still at that point that people do arrangements that other people like, and to have another person checking for the musical correctness.  

This is because .mod files aren't made to take advantage of the pokey's abilities, and you have to extensively rearrange it to make use of the pokey-specific features sometimes.

Edited by EnderDude

8 minutes ago, emkay said:

Well, that part ;)

No, I think you misunderstood me,

it's not about making "mainstream music suitable for the masses" but about sticking to the basic rules of harmony (appropriate note frequency, chords etc.).

I have listened to many of your compositions out of interest and I am happy about your motivation and energy, but most of your pieces are unfortunately "disharmonic"....

Cheers,

andY

1 hour ago, andymanone said:

I have to agree, I don't do it to be nasty towards emkay, it's just that it's true. I'm no musician, but I know what sounds 'right' to me...

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, emkay said:

Discussion about POKEY music is just a neverending story....

starting to think you do this on purpose.... out of tune and out of key may get you an original rating at online checking algorithms because it simply can't recognize what the song is anymore... we can make the association using our grey matter, but it just reminds of what it sounds like in the real world and how much it suffers when twisted in ways it never was meant to be. You simply have to be trolling everyone... correct?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

starting to think you do this on purpose.... out of tune and out of key may get you an original rating at online checking algorithms because it simply can't recognize what the song is anymore... we can make the association using our grey matter, but it just reminds of what it sounds like in the real world and how much it suffers when twisted in ways it never was meant to be. You simply have to be trolling everyone... correct?

I'm not allowed to comment or pass my opinion or I will be accused of paying the moderators here to be allowed to troll.  Oh yeah - I've been into building custom audio in home and cars (for SQ, not dB drag racing) for a good part of 31 years now, but I'm also told I am deaf.  So, there is that.

• Haha 3

Are you purposefully trying to get people to tell you your work is shit so you can report the posts?  Or are you such an attention whore you just can't stand being ignored and figure any attention is good attention (the hallmark of a troll)?  Asking for a friend.

Oh yeah - let's see how long it takes for you to get this thread locked too.  You do know your posts have nothing to do with ABBUC disc 146 right?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

You do know your posts have nothing to do with ABBUC disc 146 right?

Oh, right! This whole thing had to do with tuning!

Now, I'm making the assumption that somewhere in the player, there are note tables which can be edited to sound a tad bit more in-tune.

Ultimately, these are nitpicks tho lol

12 hours ago, EnderDude said:

Oh, right! This whole thing had to do with tuning!

Now, I'm making the assumption that somewhere in the player, there are note tables which can be edited to sound a tad bit more in-tune.

Ultimately, these are nitpicks tho lol

It's not really about tuning . I'm still searching for a way to have a clean development thread without trolls entering. 

It's very hard in a forum that locks you out of a thread by just explaining things.