IGNORED

Stereo Pokes?

-^CrossBow^-

What the is the best and current way to go stereo with two pokey's these days? I know there used to be PCBs etc that were drop in replacements where the two pokeys were installed onto the PCB and that PCB would plug into the current pokey socket etc. But I'm not finding any current sources for anything like that? 

So, what is the preferred method these days for doing this? I would be putting this into my 130xe most likely.

PokeyMax is an FPGA solution which neatly gets around the growing scarcity of original POKEY chips and adds many more features besides. I think version 2 boards are also still available.

Edited by spookt

On 10/1/2021 at 5:55 PM, spookt said:

PokeyMax is an FPGA solution which neatly gets around the growing scarcity of original POKEY chips and adds many more features besides. I think version 2 boards are also still available.

To the best of my knowledge, due to the chip shortages there aren't any PokeyMAX solutions available. I had hoped for another solution to be available but I will wait until more are in stock and there is an actual link provided for buying them.

Hello Crossbow

Candle is working on a new version of his SimpleStereo.  Older versions might still be available via Lotharek.  Otherwise try contacting tf_hh.  He still might have some stereo upgrades (of the dual Pokey type) available.

Sincerely

Mathy

For dual Pokey's, here's a DIY board I created several years ago that combines the Dual Pokey, a built-in equivalent to the U-Switch once marketed by Lotharek, and the TK-II. it's designed to directly interface and be controlled by a U1MB via the MO pin, or a simple SPST switch would also work for switching between Stereo and Mono operation.

tk-ii-stereo-main-large_orig.jpg

TK-II-Stereo_schema.thumb.png.c2c047b0b54046d682c7d044568372e6.png

Project Link: https://ataribits.weebly.com/tk-ii-stereo.html

If you don't need the TK-II, simply leave out the PIC16F1847 chip and no need to use the separate satellite I/O interface board (just wire some RCA jacks directly to the header).

Although there is a OSH Park buy it now button on the webpage, due to the size of the board a person would be far better off purchasing the minimum of 5 boards from JLCPCB and sharing the extras with friends while spitting the cost ($2.80 each). Gerber Files: TK-II-STEREO_MAIN_Gerbers.zip

image.thumb.png.2d58ae33e4a1d5ed23c2b8d8efcebfb5.png

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

@mytek  I tried to order from JLC, but its not filling in the dimensions, what are they in mm.  Thanks.

JLC is usually pretty good about figuring that out from the gerbers for you, and if you stay below the 100 x 100 MM size the board cost is only $2+shipping.

However with that said, here are the dimensions: 55.3 x 51.8 MM

BTW, if you want to directly drive headphones there is a mod that can be done with a couple of SMD resistors. It doesn't affect the normal stereo output level for Hi-Z inputs, but it does increase the current output to be able to drive a pair of ear buds quite well.

TK-II-stereo_mod.thumb.png.f5d8557b52899b17ed57e0b1b749093a.png

On 10/2/2021 at 11:17 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

To the best of my knowledge, due to the chip shortages there aren't any PokeyMAX solutions available. I had hoped for another solution to be available but I will wait until more are in stock and there is an actual link provided for buying them.

There are PokeyMAX 2's available on ebay (with and without Covox). 1 seller from Germany and 1 from UK:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? _from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=pokeymax&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=pokeman&LH_PrefLoc=2

Edited by pedalpowered
Not sure if the ones from the German seller are Autos.

44 minutes ago, pedalpowered said:

There are PokeyMAX 2's available on ebay (with and without Covox). 1 seller from Germany and 1 from UK:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? _from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=pokeymax&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=pokeman&LH_PrefLoc=2

Hmm.. yeah I think I will wait when they don't cost as much as my Dragonfly cart did for my 7800.