IGNORED

Windows 11 on VCS

swingstate

Yes, I will certainly try it, as Windows 11 offers a lot of new features, but I didn't look yet.

I saw that the VCS is compatible, where probably my desktop PC will not be, unfortunately.

Tomorrow is the day when I should be able to more easily test, I believe. (For tonight...)
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/windows-11-download-how-to-skip-the-wait-and-get-microsofts-free-update-now/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rogee said:

Unfortunately this is the message I get when I try to upgrade using the official Windows 11 Installation Assistant.

Screenshot 2021-10-04 224054.png

Windows 10 also does not allow installation directly on a USB drive. That's an irritation of the installer.
Atari provided the install procedure to get round that issue for Windows 10.
I'm planning on a Windows 11 upgrade today on another system, and then I'll look at the VCS too.

• Like 1

There are other options for installation, beyond an upgrade, for the VCS.

The Upgrade Assistant does not complain about any other aspects of the VCS, and it
was previously shown that the hardware meets the requirements, at the chipset level.

image.thumb.png.6e5d1a3cdaca7ff94b266cfb08b4045d.png

I'll try from an ISO using the same procedure as for Windows 11 I think, just to test first.
The system requirements are quite modest on any recent system, such as the VCS as well.
image.thumb.png.18aec19058ed3e18efb1d18d50e2613d.png

2 hours ago, justclaws said:

There are other options for installation, beyond an upgrade, for the VCS.

The Upgrade Assistant does not complain about any other aspects of the VCS, and it
was previously shown that the hardware meets the requirements, at the chipset level.

I'll try from an ISO using the same procedure as for Windows 11 I think, just to test first.
The system requirements are quite modest on any recent system, such as the VCS as well.

Right, I'm thinking the ISO + WinToUSB method is the way to go here.  The Assistant doesn't seem to like the external drive installation.

• Like 1

I just tried to upgrade a laptop - an HP Elite Pro 755 business laptop, with Ryzen 3 Pro, 16 GB RAM, SSD.
Unsupported CPU, Zen family. (This is a controversial matter, as Zen is capable.) Damn, but not all is lost.
https://www.theverge.com/22644194/microsoft-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements-processors-changes

My plan was to upgrade the laptop, and then to test the VCS with Windows 11, as the two are near identical
in performance, with the VCS just tipping the scales in it's favour on a couple of benchmarks, previously. ?
In fact, I bought this laptop specifically to be a test-case for code, intended for the VCS also (and on price).

I read that installation of Windows 11 works from an ISO, for my CPU, but not via the upgrade Wizard.
Rather than reinstall, I created a new virtual machine in Hyper-V, under Windows 10, for Windows 11 install.

It works A-OK, so I'll try it on the VCS next. The VCS already had TPM 2.0 enabled, I believe, so it's setup.
There was already a thread on Reddit about running the release-candidate on the VCS, and that went fine. 

So far, I'm very pleased with the performance, as even in the VM, it's very fast and responsive so far!

image.thumb.png.cbaed4dc4d5a371488e0b840f23176d3.png

• Like 1

When SteamOS 3.0 does get officially released into the wild, it might interest some VCS and PC enthusiasts. I saw a Steam Deck demo online and it looked like the OS was worth checking out! I will wait till Microsoft suggests my Windows 10 on the VCS is ready for that update (I saw some people online recommended to wait) but I wish you luck with yours! Thanks for updating us on how yours went @justclaws.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/valve/steam-deck-dev-kit-os-leak

On 10/10/2021 at 11:50 PM, swingstate said:

When SteamOS 3.0 does get officially released into the wild, it might interest some VCS and PC enthusiasts. I saw a Steam Deck demo online and it looked like the OS was worth checking out! I will wait till Microsoft suggests my Windows 10 on the VCS is ready for that update (I saw some people online recommended to wait) but I wish you luck with yours! Thanks for updating us on how yours went @justclaws.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/valve/steam-deck-dev-kit-os-leak

I did try SteamOS on my system a few years back but it wasn't good.  Tricky to install, crash-prone and missing a bunch of libraries needed to run my non-Steam games.

Hopefully it has been greatly improved.  If so, it might just make a good OS for VCS

• 1 month later...

We got a new update from Valve re: SteamOS 3.0

This article is one of a few which mention that the updated SteamOS will be available to everyone after the Steam Deck launches (after February 2022). I believe that OS has web browsing capabilities and works well with Steam. I would be curious ie. how well it will work on the VCS though it is a Linux distro so it may work well. 

https://9to5linux.com/valve-says-steamos-3-0-will-be-available-for-everyone-to-download-and-install