IGNORED

5200 Bug Hunt - Trak-Ball hack not working properly

BIGHMW

Yes, believe it when i say that while yes the analog joystick version of the 5200 edition of this XEGS staple works, the trak-ball hack (included below) has pretty much no response at all, both came in my complete set of 5200 ROMs for my Atarimax (and yes I DID pay for them) I picked up a couple of years ago, in which now makes the total of over 360 titles for Big Sexy. If there's anyone that can help correct the problem, I have attached both the joystick version (in which uses the analog technology of the stock controller) and the trak-ball version as well, the one that doesn't work.

bughuntjoy.hyb bughuntgun.hyb bughuntball.hyb

3 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Yes, believe it when i say that while yes the analog joystick version of the 5200 edition of this XEGS staple works, the trak-ball hack (included below) has pretty much no response at all, both came in my complete set of 5200 ROMs for my Atarimax (and yes I DID pay for them) I picked up a couple of years ago, in which now makes the total of over 360 titles for Big Sexy. If there's anyone that can help correct the problem, I have attached both the joystick version (in which uses the analog technology of the stock controller) and the trak-ball version as well, the one that doesn't work.

bughuntjoy.hyb 512 kB · 1 download bughuntgun.hyb 512 kB · 1 download bughuntball.hyb 512 kB · 1 download

The forum search function can be useful when you have problems. Search for Bug Hunt (this forum, all words) and you would have quickly found:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/125406-8-bit-conversions/?do=findComment&comment=3305738

As @SoundGammon says, the trak-ball should be connected to the second port.

I don't recall ever publicly releasing the light gun version.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, playsoft said:

The forum search function can be useful when you have problems. Search for Bug Hunt (this forum, all words) and you would have quickly found:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/125406-8-bit-conversions/?do=findComment&comment=3305738

As @SoundGammon says, the trak-ball should be connected to the second port.

I don't recall ever publicly releasing the light gun version.

I'll try that out, thanks Paul and also @SoundGammon

• 4 weeks later...

Why would you need to plug the Trak-Ball into Joystick Port #2? That's some weapons-grade Commodore 64 bullsh*t that's afoot there if that's true.*

Bug Hunt, eh?  If there's one Atari 8-Bit light gun game that needs to be not only ported to the 5200 but also hacked for Trak-Ball support, it's CROSSBOW.

[same goes for the 7800 version].

If I were dare to dream, I'd advocate for A8 Space Harrier. But it would be a bankswitching nightmare so there'd need to at least be a 64K RAM upgrade for the 5200 combined with a 1MB ROM cart [as well as such a scheme for the ROM to run on the AtariMax]. Since the arcade original has an analog joystick, just imagine analog being enabled and playing it with the Trak-Ball as Crom Himself would've demanded.

*That was meant to be a joke. Not to insult anyone's hard work and efforts. I've always disliked the C64 for its various corners cut like with the constant joystick fumbling. Is it Joystick Port #1 or #2 today?

Edited by Lynxpro