IGNORED

YORK PA TI99ers User Group Project

Sinphaltimus

Edit2: Uploaded dsk collection with catalog pdf. Please explore and share anything interesting you fine here. Now that the review is completed and collection uploaded, I'm going to start checking out a few of these.

Edit: Attaching the complete collection catalogs in one PDF with renderable text. Header and footer reference the archive number which equals the page number.

***OP***

My last posts here were some training manual PDF uploads I did. I started to chip away at the floppy disks.

So far I have 24 down with 3 binders full to go. Of the first batch, I ran into 4 floppies that threw errors trying to backup in DM2. I put them aside for now.

* Of the 24 so far, one is blank and somehow I think I archived the same disk twice in there some place.

This disk collection contains a lot of programs and data. Some of which is mailing list stuff and there is probably people's private information in some of those. 
I would want to release them to the public. After I post this, I'm going to reach out to one person here that I trust to keep the data private if they are interested in helping me to understand what I have in these floppies.

Fo now, for everyone else who may want to help; I'm attaching screenshot of the Catalogs from DM2 for all 24 disks I've completed so far*. 

Have a look see, and please comment on a particular archive-screenshot name if you happen to know fo special carts needed to load any of the files in the listings.

The next group I plan to do has a lot of disks labelles "TI Games and Entertainment". Maybe some obscure titles or lost games can be found once I start on that bunch.

Entire_Collection_V1_dsk_files_only.zip

Archives001-144_YorkPATI99ers_dsk_catalogs.zip

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Forget those screenshots. I was just (yesterday) turned on to TI99 print ( https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99print/Files/ti99print11a.zip ) and got it working via Win99a ( https://www.99er.net/win994a.shtml ) to "Print to PDF" on Windows 10. 

Here are the PDFs of the Catalogs for the archived disks I've Converted from real floppy to dsk files so far.

Set_01_PDF_Cats.zip

• Like 4

Here's the final patch for now. I know there are a few (3-4) stragglers from the first batch. But that'll take more time then I have for a bit. So at some point there maybe a small pack 6.

Also, I have a stack of about 12 floppies that could not copy due to various disk errors. i gave them the old eject and inert again treatment but they continued to fail.

Others in this collection (a small amount) failed on the first and some on the second eject/insert routine but on the third try copied without issue. So maybe my drive a bit with these floppies? At some point I'm going to swap out my external floppy drive for one that came with this donation and try those disks again.

I'll complete the above when I transplant the RS232 card from the donated PEB into my PEB and attempt to get the printer working. That won't start for about a month or so.

Anyway, here's Pack 5 withy catalog PDFs for Archive***.dsk numbers 114-144.

P.S.  I will attempt to assemble these on my last registered version 9 of Acrobat Pro. If I'm not careful the pages will be reversed or out of order somehow.

Set_05_PDF_CAT_114-144.zip

• Like 5

The contents of ARCHIVE010.dsk appear to be the early workings of a book entitled "Getting the Most from your Cassette System by Mickey Schmidt.
18 files loaded into final writer and printed out to PDF then combined. See attached. Seems it was a weekly things and each file presented each week for 18 weeks. I found a book by this name and author but nothing archived anywhere. or at least google doesn't know where. whtech has a pdf from a user group that mentions the book and price but nothing more as far as I could see.

GettingTheMostFromYourcassetteSystemByMickeySchmitt_Archive010_Contents.pdf

• Like 2

ARCHIVE008 LABELLED AS TI TIPS #2 - I printed all printable material from there. A lot of stuff I found interesting but didn't read through most of it. Some personal info in some of these files but they appear to be for publication so no worries there. Also - there's a BBS Listing. See if you can find any BBSes you might have used back in the day!

ARCHIVE008-TI_TIPS#2.zip

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jrhodes said:

I scanned all the disks in the catalog, and am interested in the disks with the following disk names:

X_G&E_02
X_G&E_03
EA/GAMES
X_G&E_04
X_G&E_05
MONTECARLO
KIBBIT
BOWLIN/2*0
B_G&E_05
TI99-OPOLY

I'll go through those later today. The idea is to release the entire set once at once. I just want to make sure anyone's expected privacy is not violated. At the rate I'm going,  I would say maybe 2 weeks. But I also have one other casually helping because there are some data files I don't know how to open yet.

I've gone through the first 10 myself.

Perhaps I can release them incrementally as progress is made.

• Like 5

I don't know if any of you are as excited about this project birthed from a salvage donation as I am.

If I were me on the audience side, I would be chomping at the bit for a first release.

So yeah, I feel OK with Archives 001-055. so here they are. I hope to release the rest of the collection in 2 days.

You already have the full catalog in the first post.

I'm going to bed. More saturday.  

YorkPA_TI99ersUG_SalvagedDiskArchives001-055.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, ti99iuc said:

@Sinphaltimus many thanks for your effort in doing this :) I also am very interested in this preservation act.

In the meantime I am dreaming with something ahaha ?

LOL! Yeah, I found that reviewing the disks. alot of effort went into those title screens. If only? LOL. :)

It's my pleasure. I rarely find ways to give back to the community that reignited my love for the very first computer I ever touched. And yes, it grew into my hobbies and my profession.  

I was shocked and amazed as my friend was unloading his car into my garage. 

This project is far from over.

I have stacks and stacks of TI User group publications I will be scanning and releasing as well. That part is going to take a very long time to complete. 

I thought these disk conversions and cataloging was an insurmountable task when I first saw them. So far, much less of a challenge than these scans I have waiting for me.

• Like 5

Some help please?

I'm on ARCHIVE077.dsk and i cannot figure out how to open any of the files listed. They are of TYPE DIS/VAR 80.

EDIT: I should add, I tried to load the first file into TI-Writer and nothing seemd to happen. Perhaps a different text program?

Not sure. I'll try thr other files since disk 78 is loaded with the same type and naming convention AND I see a -README file on Disk 80 that i9s also DIS/VAR 80..

EDIT2: Nevermind, they open in TI-Writer. i must have had a type on first attempt. Too early.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FarmerPotato said:

I'm really glad you are doing this. It must have been amazing to see the UG collection in person!

Yes. I'm going to ping the community for long term preservation efforts of these disks.  I can keep them in a bin in my dry and moderately temp controlled basement.

• Like 3