IGNORED

ST Lives on

I think that there were 1040 STs available in 1985, but with separated floppy drive, while this is clearly with integrated one, so STF(M) . What was available from 1987, as I know. Anyway, not so big deal, especially as owner/programmer was bit hesitating when was asked about when purchased it.  More interesting would be to hear about how many repairs it needed over those decades. Maybe was mentioned, but was not able to understand most of what he talked.

2 minutes ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I think that there were 1040 STs available in 1985, but with separated floppy drive, while this is clearly with integrated one, so STF(M) . What was available from 1987, as I know. Anyway, not so big deal, especially as owner/programmer was bit hesitating when was asked about when purchased it.  More interesting would be to hear about how many repairs it needed over those decades. Maybe was mentioned, but was not able to understand most of what he talked.

The STfm was 87,  but I think the 1040STf with integrated floppy and TOS on ROM came in early 86?

10 hours ago, DarkLord said:

It's a great article, but there is a bit of controversy...

As pointed out at Atari Age, the machine in the video, if you

look closely, is not a 520ST...so it could not have been

purchased in 1985...   :)

As pointed out at.... here?

9 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Yeah! What a scam! Trying to get us to believe that he's been using that system for 36 years, when there's no possible way he could've been using it for more than 34, maybe 35 years.

You are so absolutely right.   Behead that bastard in the public square immediately!

Not only that, but there are at least three ST systems that I know of that are used about daily, way more than 6 months out of the year!

12 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Yeah! What a scam! Trying to get us to believe that he's been using that system for 36 years, when there's no possible way he could've been using it for more than 34, maybe 35 years.

LOL - yeah, I wasn't trying to take anything away from what he did accomplish, just pointing out

there's a little bit of a discrepancy.  :)

It's still a wonderful accomplishment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

You are so absolutely right.   Behead that bastard in the public square immediately!

Yeah, let's flog him! No, no...better yet, keep forcing him to touch the top of an exposed 1040ST's power supply - that'll teach him!  :)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DarkLord said:

LOL - yeah, I wasn't trying to take anything away from what he did accomplish, just pointing out

there's a little bit of a discrepancy.  :)

It's still a wonderful accomplishment.

You're definitely right. I can't imagine using an old retro computer of any type, that much, for that long, and have things still running.

I think @ParanoidLittleMan asked about maintenance over the years. I too wonder if he's ever had to re-cap the PSU or anything over the years, or if this thing has actually been running, out of the box, for 30 some odd years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

No, it was that you said "at AtariAge".... and we're here... at.... AtariAge.

Indeed we are. I see your "basic recognition" lessons are going well.  :D

I did say, "As pointed out at Atari Age", because...well, it was pointed

out at Atari Age in another (earlier) thread. ..  Yep.   :)

Edited by DarkLord
Clarification....

31 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Indeed we are. I see your "basic recognition" lessons are going well.  :D

I did say, "As pointed out at Atari Age", because...well, it was pointed

out at Atari Age in another (earlier) thread. ..  Yep.   :)

... and congrats on your promotion!

The real Captain Obvious - Imgur

1 hour ago, calimero said:

Today I can not even go to shit if I do not get approval from government!...

Ah, it is not far from true for: Australia, Canada, Greece... ?

Woah there buddy... that almost sounds like a criticism.... may I see your permit?