IGNORED

Kings of Edom pre-orders OPEN NOW

Songbird

Songbird Productions is pleased to announce pre-orders are open for Kings of Edom for the Atari Jaguar. First run is limited to 100 carts. Orders will start shipping by Oct 26, 2021.

image.thumb.png.bfc8b2e8fc5eda787e38cf15a330747f.png

Kings of Edom is a fantasy adventure that places you as the lone hero exploring twelve levels of mazes in your quest to find the lost crowns. Each game is unique, as an ancient spell causes the maze to bend and swirl into a new challenge when you start a new game. Monsters and traps will hinder your journey, while treasures of steel and magic will allow you to grow in might. The goal of the game is to retrieve 11 lost crowns, which will require many journeys through the dungeon. Once you have all the crowns, find the white star and perform the ritual to honor the kings.

The game was developed exclusively for the Jaguar by Phoboz, who made a strong showing with other recent Jaguar games such as Wormhole 2000 and SpideX. Kings of Edom includes a cartridge, box, and full-color 16-page manual.

image.thumb.png.e0bd9b685d3b14c917e8b41ebf776b8e.png

Back of box game text:

Many brave souls have entered the treacherous ruins, but thus far, none have returned. They all seek the same reward: the lost crowns of the Kings of Edom. It was thirty-five years ago the legions from the south broke our defenses and scattered the crowns throughout their winding maze of rock and pillar, swamp and fire. Only by wit and cunning can one hope to survive, let alone succeed. But succeed you must, for the glory of the kings of old and the honor of your people.

Now you stand at the threshold, and the brooding dungeon beckons you. Do you dare accept the challenge?

NOTE: International shipping to Australia is currently suspended except for USPS Global Express which is quite expensive. We'll resume our regular international shipping rates to Australia once the shipping options improve.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Just a few minor things:

- when you upload the final version video, make sure to set the aspect ratio to 4:3. Currently it is set to 16:9, which make the graphics not look right.

- if you haven't done so already, check that the text is not clipped on a real CRT TV.

- unlike the text background, the border appears to be not-quite-black (it can be seen at the bottom of the screen).

1 hour ago, Zerosquare said:

when you upload the final version video, make sure to set the aspect ratio to 4:3.

Yes, I found a better setting for that in the video capture tool. Can be seen in later Asteroite videos, but still YouTube skips every second frame in window mode, which makes flasing sprites dissapear completely, or not to flash at all.

check that the text is not clipped on a real CRT TV

Checked on both PAL, and NTSC CRT TVs.

unlike the text background, the border appears to be not-quite-black

This was also fixed during bug testing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2021 at 2:43 PM, agradeneu said:

Congratulations for the release! I think it's an excellent choice for a genre and I hope more Rogue likes/lites will follow this one!

The roguelike genere has expanded with the arrival of retro-style games on modern consoles, and PC. To me the original rougelike games were more similar to the original game Rogue (1980). Using graphics, and smooth scrolling (instead of text characters) like the examples below, but please correct me if there were other roguelikes on retro consoles?

20211006_011120.thumb.jpg.9dccc65b54215c303e3471aa917068b0.jpg

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 2

On 10/7/2021 at 11:00 AM, phoboz said:

The roguelike genere has expanded with the arrival of retro-style games on modern consoles, and PC. To me the original rougelike games were more similar to the original game Rogue (1980). Using graphics, and smooth scrolling (instead of text characters) like the examples below, but please correct me if there were other roguelikes on retro consoles?

20211006_011120.thumb.jpg.9dccc65b54215c303e3471aa917068b0.jpg

No idea, it was pretty niche. I looked for them on mobygames, quite interesting that back in the day, these games got fairly mixed reviews.

19 hours ago, agradeneu said:

I looked for them on mobygames, quite interesting that back in the day, these games got fairly mixed reviews.

I guess that console gamers were not really used to roguelike RPGs at that time. Even ordinary RPGs were only recommended for advanced players. I remember I wanted Dragon Crystal, but the shop-keeper conviced me to get Sonic the Hedgehog instead, which I regretted later. Because Dragon Crystal got practially impossible to obtain, while Sonic was available everywhere.

SEGA were quite brave to invest in RPGs outside of Japan, while Nintendo only had Zelda for a long time (before they allowed releases of RPGs from Square, Enix etc. outside of Japan)

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, phoboz said:

I guess that console gamers were not really used to roguelike RPGs at that time. Even ordinary RPGs were only recommended for advanced players. I remember I wanted Dragon Crystal, but the shop-keeper conviced me to get Sonic the Hedgehog instead, which I regretted later. Because Dragon Crystal got practially impossible to obtain, while Sonic was available everywhere.

SEGA were quite brave to invest in RPGs outside of Japan, while Nintendo only had Zelda for a long time (before they allowed releases of RPGs from Square, Enix etc. outside of Japan)

Sooem reasons for the low scores were that the press compared them to full RPGs like FF, complaining about lack of story, characters and variety. Also the graphics were described rather boring. 

Honestly the modern era rogue lites fixed a lot of those problems that compromised that genre back in the day. 

We are very lucky. Phoboz seems to be incredibly prolific. I can't believe how fast he's developed these titles. He's developed two different ones, one a rpg no less in about a year. In 3-4 years he's on the verge of 4 titles. Amazing.

Wyvern Tales took better part of a decade on the Lynx though that was amazingly ambitious.  I'm glad we didn't have to wait that long. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JagChris said:

We are very lucky. Phoboz seems to be incredibly prolific. I can't believe how fast he's developed these titles. He's developed two different ones, one a rpg no less in about a year. In 3-4 years he's on the verge of 4 titles. Amazing.

Wyvern Tales took better part of a decade on the Lynx though that was amazingly ambitious.  I'm glad we didn't have to wait that long. 

To be fair, WT started when Lynx homebrew seemed almost dead and its a special challenge to start programming such complex game on a system that has an 4 MHZ CPU and 64K RAM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

It will be interesting to see how the different people play this when it comes. Everything from it's too hard I'm stuck to yeah I blew right through this in a weekend. 

Not forgetting:

"I put it on a shelf and looked at it."
"I dumped it straight on ebay for 4x the purchase price because it was a limited run."

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, JagChris said:

from it's too hard I'm stuck to yeah I blew right through this in a weekend. 

There is a strong element of chance in this game. If you get a rough ride the first time you play, don't give up, and give it a couple of more tries.

Edited by phoboz
Removed spoiler
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1