IGNORED

VBXE to HDMI

flashjazzcat

VBXE owners: do any of you have positive experiences with 15KHz RGB to HDMI converters, and if so, which models are recommended? I have a client who wants good video output over HDMI but since Sophia 2 is not available and he's interested in VBXE's feature set, he wants to go with VBXE. I can't really advise since I use SCART-enabled TVs and the only upscaler I own is a GBS-8200, which does a decent job of converting 15KHz RGB to VGA.

Cool Novelties makes an RGB to SCART cable which can then be used with an OSSC to produce beautiful, crystal clear images. I have the VBXE, the cable, and the OSSC for use with my 1088XEL, but I've never gotten around to getting my VBXE mounted above my Sophia and getting everything working yet. It's on my fall/winter project list though. Technically, it doesn't mention the OSSC, so I guess you could use the cable with any SCART compatible display or device.

I guess SCART wasn’t west you asked about, specifically, but I know the OSSC has SCART input and HDMI output, so that’s how I intend to use the cable.

Here's a link to the cable if you think you'd like to look into it.

Edited by bfollowell

6 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Cool Novelties makes an RGB to SCART cable which can then be used with an OSSC to produce beautiful, crystal clear images. I have the VBXE, the cable, and the OSSC for use with my 1088XEL, but I've never gotten around to getting my VBXE mounted above my Sophia and getting everything working yet. It's on my fall/winter project list though. Technically, it doesn't mention the OSSC, so I guess you could use the cable with any SCART compatible display or device.

Thanks. I was indirectly involved with the idea for the Cool Novelties DIN13 to SCART cable and I use one here (going straight to the TV), but if the OSSC works well with VBXE, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. The client is in the UK and would probably have invested in SIDE3 were it not for the additional cost of the scan converter. Direct SCART connections seem to be the logical route here in the UK, but I appreciate SCART support is becoming scarcer on modern TVs.

I'll suggest the OSSC and see what he thinks. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Thanks. I was indirectly involved with the idea for the Cool Novelties DIN13 to SCART cable and I use one here (going straight to the TV), but if the OSSC works well with VBXE, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. The client is in the UK and would probably have invested in SIDE3 were it not for the additional cost of the scan converter. Direct SCART connections seem to be the logical route here in the UK, but I appreciate SCART support is becoming scarcer on modern TVs.

I'll suggest the OSSC and see what he thinks. :)

Well, like I said, I haven’t gotten mine quite hooked up and working yet, but that’s the idea behind me buying it. I’ve read of others using it, but I can’t personally say that it works or works well. I’ll have to pull mine out soon and give it a try, even if I don’t have it fully mounted, just to make sure things work.

23 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

OK. The testimony was quite glowing. Can you remember where you saw examples of a VBXE/OSSC setup?

I can't. I've been looking and can't seem to find anything now.

Since I've thrown it out there, and since I really need to get mine checked out anyway, I'll try hooking mine up this weekend, even just temporarily and precariously mounted, and check it out, just to make certain I'm getting good signal and see what the image looks like. Assuming I actually get an image, I'll post pictures of my results.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Yep: I've gone one as mentioned, but the client seems to want HDMI.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07121Y1Z3/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=retrorgb-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07121Y1Z3&linkId=ea64799306a85ca3406b3fac4e59b2d2

This is what GBS Control people are recommending. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZuluGula said:

I haven’t used that exact adapter but I have a pair of similar ones that work the other way - taking in HDMI and outputting VGA - to connect Raspberry Pi boards to VGA monitors. 

I just got my OSSC fired up with my VBXE equipped XEL using the Atari to scart cable.  I had an added complication however. My XEL is PAL and I live in NTSC. None of my displays will show 50hz. I had been using a gbs8200 with Mytek's programmer, this would work with my dell monitor. The GBS would not work without the programmer though, and the picture couldn't be centered. This is why I bought the OSSC. I then discovered while the ossc works fine with the vbxe, the signal remains 50hz PAL, so my hdmi monitors couldn't pick up the signal. I found this Pal to NTSC convertor on Amazon. It will also inject audio into the hdmi. Now I get video, but with some light gridding in the background, not sure which component is doing that, or if it's just because of all the extra cabling and devices. Has anyone found a better scan doubling/PAL to NTSC conversion? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062BS09O?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I've been using a GBS8200 with mytek's mod. I saw this a little while ago on YouTube and it looks like the GBS control project has come a long way. 

I just got the parts in to build this but haven't had chance to sit down and do it yet. 

• Like 3