IGNORED

Recommend Me Some Games

Tempest

I've decided to put some more time into my C128 after ignoring it for years, but I need some recommendations on games (NTSC games that is).  What I'm looking for are games that are considered to be some of the best on the C64 but aren't readily available on other systems like the Apple II or PC.  Basically games that are C64 specific or the absolute best version is on the C64.

As for the type of game I'm looking for, I really like platformers, RPGs, and Adventure games.  Right now I'm really enjoying Ultimate Wizard which is sort of like Jumpman with magic. 

Yoomp! on the C64 is really nice.  It is a port from Atari 8-bit and IMNSHO quite well done.  Most of my favorite games are available on other platforms, and I have given my list in another thread around here somewhere.  Space Taxi is definitely one of my top titles.  I also like Black Hawk which I found on a local BBS way back when.

Bruce Lee  and the newer sequel Bruce Lee II

Paradroid

Beach Head I and II

Forbidden Forrest

Archon

Racing Destruction Set

A.C.E.

Spindizzy

Past Finder

Stealth

Kennedy Approach

Dino Eggs

Summer Games I and II

Winter Games

RPG's

Temple of Apshai

AD&D Pool of Radiance

Telengard (silly, but fun)

Bard's Tale (I, II, III)

to name a critical few that are must have's in the library.  Hard to pick out specific C64/128 only because they were many games ported to all three at the time (Apple IIe, Atari400/800 and C64)

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Let's agree to disagree. :)

Nope.  I already "The end"ed. ;)

Though, I will say, I am seriously disappointed by some of the C64 versions of some of the Atarisoft games.  Even the oft maligned TI-99 versions are better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, motrucker said:

Another vote for Wizball. An amazing game on the C-64! Spindizzy is another great game, that might drive you a little crazy. Have you tried Blue Max? interesting game - have you flown under a bridge yet?

I've played Blue Max on the Atari, but not the C64. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 9:41 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Nope.  I already "The end"ed. ;)

Though, I will say, I am seriously disappointed by some of the C64 versions of some of the Atarisoft games.  Even the oft maligned TI-99 versions are better.

Even Centipede and that was Joysticks only.  Do you have any idea how sad this 12 year old was when he got home, plugged it in and couldn't play it :(

I had to save up to get the wico TI to 2600 splitter thing to play Centipede.  Parsec was a lot better too.  SO glad the splitter was cheaper than TI joysticks.   I already had 2600 sticks....

I agree, somehow the Atarisoft titles were very poorly done.

To add to the list:

Rush N Attack  I used to add a second button to the 2600 joystick and wire it to the SPACE BAR so I didn't have to reach for the keyboard to use the Flamethrower etc.

Gauntlet

Maybe I missed a few of these above, but if you like sports:

Leader board Golf

One on One

Two on Two

Hardball

4th and Inches

I think I like the Street Sports games.  But been a long time since I played these.

The homebrew game Galencia is one of the greatest 8 bit vertical shooters ever made, and Guns n Ghosts is a pretty fun homebrew also. Sam's Journey is incredible but frustrating... The Bear Essentials is a somewhat more relaxing homebrew platformer. 

I like the C64 versions of Demon Attack and Beamrider. Lode Runner is good also, but that's the rare game where the Apple II version actually is better. 

Dino Eggs is a game I could play forever, and the C64 version does beat the Apple II's... 

And of course Uridium and Paradroid are classics... 

• 2 months later...

Another one if you are into shooters I would like to recommend is Zeta Wing:

https://sarahjaneavory.itch.io/zeta-wing

I am really impressed with this title. I made it to stage 3 this evening until my wife and kids started bugging me and made me lose! Lol.

It is certainly a really polished and excellent top down space shooter and is really addictive. 

This was done by Sarah Jane Avory who has also previously released the excellent Neutron and Santron (for Xmas). Zeta Wing was well worth the $3.99 in my book.