IGNORED

Any programmers interested in making this game for Atari 7800?

Razzie.P

I was a bit reluctant to ask after reading a bit of the “idea peddlers” thread, but figured couldn’t hurt to ask.

Anyone interested in programming this game for the Atari 7800?

https://oofmcbrewster.com/

https://razziep.itch.io/oofmbhha

I was hoping to bring this game to the Atari 7800 already, but – and I’ll spare the sad details -- but plans got shifted around a bit over the last year or so, so now I’m revisiting options.

Some notes if anyone is interested –

• I can help provide some bits of the project work to help speed it up and ease the workload – like game mechanics/info, screen layouts, sprites, sounds and music (in famitracker format), etc
  • Once finished, you’re free to do what you’d like in regards to selling/distribution for the A7800 carts and A7800 rom – any money earned from that version would be 100% yours.  I’ll even buy my own cart and/or final rom.   (I’d probably ask to hook me up with some roms along the way, though)
  • Post development – I’ll work with you and help however I can to share artwork, manual docs and such to help create boxes, booklets, labels, etc, if needed.  Again, I’ll help with the work as much as I can, and the profit from any of that A7800 sales would be 100% yours.   
  • I’m not looking to profit from anyone’s work.  Would just love to see the game available on the console that’s a very important part of my childhood.
  • If you need to change the game up a bit to fit the A7800 restrictions, that’s cool --- or even if you want to change it up a bit because you think it’d be an improvement (2 player mode, multiple endings, etc) that’s probably cool too – can’t imagine too many changes I’d gripe about, but would like to have a look at those so we can determine case by case.

If you’re interested, send me a message and let me know what additional info is needed.

• Like 4

I was a bit reluctant to ask after reading a bit of the “idea peddlers” thread, but figured couldn’t hurt to ask.

Don't worry about it, this is a bit different giving that you are asking for someone to port your own game to another system and prepared to give away the rights of all sales which personally I think is super generous. As an already formed game you escape the world of imaginary ideas as well. 

Unfortunately I can barely scrape anything together with assembly with years of experience so I'm not the one to help with this, but 8bitworkshop now has a barebones real time assembler for the 7800 to help with testing code with a few examples, that might be useful for any prospective programmers who wanted to take a shot at it. 

It may be a longshot since devs usually have too many of their own projects, but I suggest cross-posting to the 7800 Programming forum. If nothing else, you may get some porting tips in case you decide to learn 7800 development yourself at some point.  I also think it looks like a fun game, and would make a fun addition to its library. 

• Like 3

You create all assets in the images below,if you can show commitment to converting your assets from the first 3 stages I'll do the programming of the of those first levels.If you want the same level layout then it's a 8x16 layout(I recommend drawing some pixels in this mode first) if not then 3x16 and that means display layout needs to be changed.Decide which you want to go with and show me.I'll program your first three levels,then we can discuss further.

Oofs-Haunted-Test-Demo-0.png

Oofs-Haunted-Test-Demo-1.png

Oofs-Haunted-Test-Demo-2.png

Edited by JumbleJag
  • Like 1

Designing graphics for a game not yet programmed is like writing lyrics to a song without music. Sure, there are many poems and other texts that are wonderfully put to music, sometimes slightly rearranged to fit the rhythm, and then there are genres like rap where the lyrics dominate (perhaps the equivalent of a text adventure, or some graphic puzzle).

22 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Designing graphics for a game not yet programmed is like writing lyrics to a song without music. Sure, there are many poems and other texts that are wonderfully put to music, sometimes slightly rearranged to fit the rhythm, and then there are genres like rap where the lyrics dominate (perhaps the equivalent of a text adventure, or some graphic puzzle).

I understand the point you are trying to make here, but my experience in developing games professionally for many year has shown to me that designing the game and creating assets, before doing any programming, can lead to very positive results. Allowing artists to experiment with ideas and looks, before investing a lot of cycles into coding, can help pinpoint those ideas that are most worthy to prioritize when programming. Depending on the content, you might go around writing the code differently.

Just another perspective to think about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Designing graphics for a game not yet programmed is like writing lyrics to a song without music.

I offered to program a game,most work being done is on the programmer(in this case it's me),My rule is the person asking for my skill, has to provide what I demand..if they cannot meet my request then I don't provide my time,It's that simple.

Edited by JumbleJag

I'm going out of my way to help him,there are others that know the 7800 hardware that want a programmer..yet I decided to help a person that doesn't. I asked a friend of mine that's in my dev circle(musician and artist) to help him if he has trouble.

Edited by JumbleJag