IGNORED

Missile 0 color

atari2600land

So in my game, I have a multicolored sprite (player 0.) And a missile to match (missile 0.) Where I've discovered something a bit odd about its color. When you shoot and travel down, missile 0 changes color to yellow.

burger12_1.thumb.png.11c3f6951dfcbebcf18f2e02bf46915d.png

But if you shoot and travel up, it changes to black.

burger12.thumb.png.ec82e743ce00dbbfd6da7b7b0ef1977d.png

I am just wondering if there was a way to change the black into yellow. My code is attached.

burger12.asm

Here is a partial solution. Just search for Omega in the assembly.

burger12(mod).asm

M0 shares its color with P0. When firing without moving up or down the color stays the same, and is the color of the burger on that line. When moving up or down the shot is above or below the line the missile is on, and since P0 is a multicolor sprite the colors have changed. Finally it looks like in the code the color for P0 was being updated all the time, but the graphics wasn't. That works until you get to the present situation.

So I put in a branch to skip the color updates when P0 is not being drawn, and set the color of P0 during VBLANK. This will not stop the colors from strobbing while moving the burger but minimize it.

BTW the normal solution in this circumstance is to use the Ball, but since the playfield is being used this won't work.